Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
If George Jones isn't a part of this, it pretty much nullifies the entire series in my opinion.

and yes. haven't seen much of tammy wynette either. maybe i missed that one.

jeannie seely always had a hold on my heart. haven't seen her at all.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
If George Jones isn't a part of this, it pretty much nullifies the entire series in my opinion.

and yes. haven't seen much of tammy wynette either. maybe i missed that one.

jeannie seely always had a hold on my heart. haven't seen her at all.

They had a decent amount of coverage on Seely last night. I'm wondering if Tammy Wynette might not be on the next one, as the time frame for her might be a little later than what was on last night.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Anybody watching?? Have you noticed EVERY PBS special has to make a point of overemphasizing race, anymore?? For chrissakes......

I watched some of it. They started off talking about how the banjo came from Africa, and that African Americans had a profound influence on country music. BUT.... African Americans are usually not given credit for their contributions.

So, right off the bat country music fans are a bunch of racists.

Then a few minutes later, they talked about how in the twenties this music was called hillbilly music. And that was an offensive term.
And on came Dolly Parton to explain that if you are an outsider and you call country music "Hillbilly" you are a racist.

And then I changed the channel. Good God on PBS every group is an offended minority.

Did you really watch and listen? The city of Nashville had a problem with "hillbilly" music and wanted to change the impression the term gave. There were plenty of white people that didn't like the term way back then. Jeez, this place is full of conspiracy theorists.

You noticed that as well. The film is good. Well done Ken Burns. I liked the part of last night about Ray Charles' country album. Ol Ray did a great job on Don Gibson's "I can't stop loving you". As well the part on Johnny Cash. As to SOME open your ears, minds and hearts. You'll be happier and better informed for it.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I will not watch or listen to anything that has Ken Burns associated with it!!!

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Watching George and Tammy now. Can't believe how little jim reeves was mentioned.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tammy had a hard life...

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
16 hours how in the heck are you gonna please everybody telling 100+ years of any sect of history. You aint.

Carry on.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Limited watching time these days, so have only viewed the first episode. It is fairly well done and it was revealing and educative to learn about the methods and histories of the Carters and Jimmie Rodgers, and how the recording and sale of their work enabled the opening-up of this music to a greater audience. Pivotal events there. The given explanation about the term "hillbilly" and its effects made sense - we used that term for such music (heard on the radio) in the late 40s and early 50s.

All fans of a certain type of music have their favorite performers - and their dislikes - so once past these early historical accounts (stuff before most of us were born) there will be picking and choosing among and between performers and how much emphasis on each. This will give rise to strong opinions and pointed critiques from viewers. As for the true root factors and seminal influences (racial/cultural and otherwise) it might be helpful to consider that, in general in any form of music, such aspects normally are seen and understood uniquely and differently by those on the inside (the musicians/performers) than by the listeners/consumers/devotees/fans. Such is life.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well looky thar, Charlie Daniels performed with Lester Scuggs at the Anti-War March in Washington DC.

Who would have thunk Daniels and Scruggs were pinko commies.

History is uncomfortable.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Watching George and Tammy now. Can't believe how little jim reeves was mentioned.

Yep. One of the greats!

Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. Have they even mentioned Ray Price or Buck Owens???
What about Bob Wills and Waylon Jennings???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finally..........we get to hear about George Jones, along with Tammy Wynette. Now, I realize that everyone has their favorites performers, and the ones they don't care for. There are also those artists that though they may not be a favorite, get your respect because of how good they are. Jones is one of those, as far as I'm concerned. His contribution to country music ranks near the top.

Now, I've also been disappointed with all the coverage and sucking up to Johnny Cash. Cash did not have a good singing voice, but no one can discredit his ability as a performer. However, Cash was someone who's politics were on the fringe, and because of that, I was never a big fan. Also, I don't get all the coverage of Bob Dylan, that commie was not a country performer. Of course, Burns loves people like him.

I'm also a little surprised at all the coverage on Kristoferson. I know he is a great song writer, but he's gotten more than his fair share of air time.

I loved Jan Howard's response to the anti-war demonstrator. People like her deserve all the respect we can give them. As time has gone by, I've come to see the Vietnam war as a huge mistake on Americas part. It accomplished nothing but the taking of thousands of young American lives. I lost several friends over there, and saw some others affected by the time they spent there. I was not a supporter of the anti-war demonstrations, believing at the time that it was justified. Though I now believe the war was wrong, I still hold a grudge against those who were so openly against it and more importantly, against the soldiers who fought there. That includes a number of celebrities, including Earl Scruggs and Charlie Daniels.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It would take a lot for me to like Lyndon Johnson. Nothing to do with music of any kind.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was working in a large company's paving/excavation crew, when Cash got his TV show. The morning after Dylan was on, most of the guys were upset about his appearance. One guy said it was the worst thing Cash had ever done, having that "Dolan" guy on and was the ruination of Country music.

"History is uncomfortable". Yep. Judging by some of the comments here, many are uncomfy finding out how various the influences were in country music? Pretty much how most forms of popular music works. Artists borrow from what has come before and the music is usually better for the sharing.

When that Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album came out, gave my dad and the farmer uncle whose old 78s I listened to as a kid, both a copy. They loved it.

They didn't mention it last night, but Bill Monroe refused to participate in that album. The Byrds' "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" is also a great album.

Still remember the day I was driving up to hunting camp and heard on the radio that Jones had died. "No Show Jones". We had a rough ol' gal around here that did handyman work for years. Had a huge George Jones decal on her truck's bug deflector. One day I stopped at a convenience store and she pulled in right behind me. Noticed the Jones decal was gone from the front of her pickup. Asked what was up with that? She went into a profane rant about having traveled three times to see him and he'd never showed up for any of them. Oops!

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, Robert Zimmerman, know as Bob Dillon, was not country in my book.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He was "folk music". And even they turned on him when he went and used an electric guitar.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by rockchucker

Yep. One of the greats!

Haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. Have they even mentioned Ray Price or Buck Owens???
What about Bob Wills and Waylon Jennings???

All were mentioned. Big piece on Bob Wills (and frequent mention). Nice piece on Buck Owens.

The program hasn't fit all my pre-conceived notions or assumptions, but it's been interesting and I can separate the wheat from the chaff by myself.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Perhaps just me, to put music in a box, or try to jam a type, then, what is a type, or call it a category, is futile. The edges are too blurred. Sometimes, that is. laugh crazy

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Perhaps just me, to put music in a box, or try to jam a type, then, what is a type, or call it a category, is futile. The edges are too blurred. Sometimes, that is. laugh crazy

allus liked jack greene, and his statue of a fool.

swinging a hammer, and listening to good country.

somehow it always seemed to make the day go faster.

if i had to pick and choose, it'd be jeannie seely every time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've enjoyed the series so far. It brought back a lot of memories.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.