Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarkio

A little off topic:

Another thing that happens all the time on the Fire is that those jealous of others or just pissed off about what's going on at home looks for a reason to attack and run down someone else whether they have to take what someone said out of context or attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Quote of the week.

This is the sad reality for a lot on here I have come to realize. So many seem to be unhappy in their current position in life or envious of others and they sit around like a trip-wire, waiting to fire on someone to make themselves feel better.

Not really anyone in this post comes across that way, but so much of what's posted elsewhere gets pretty tiring seeing people expend so much energy spewing vitriol because they are unhappy.

So very true.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
They closed another nearby popular hunting trailhead, Buffalo Horn, day before yesterday due to a dead horse on the trail. It will be closed one to two weeks while grizzlies mop up the carcass.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by gunner500
I've never hunted bears, but have hunted in bear country, and saw every damn one of them around me, if these guys are 'hunting', and short of a full on explosive charge out of the brush, how in the hell does something that big get close enough to whip your ass?

17-20 Grizz feeding on what ended up being at least 13 cattle carcasses shut down access (hunting or otherwise) to decent sized chunk of ground ~10Mi to the S. Not unfathomable that the offender in this case is an owly youngster or a really old bear who was kicked off the cattle carcasses.

Damn, mountainside self made buffet.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
I've never hunted bears, but have hunted in bear country, and saw every damn one of them around me, if these guys are 'hunting', and short of a full on explosive charge out of the brush, how in the hell does something that big get close enough to whip your ass?

All due respect, Jerry, but in my experience (35+ years of backpacking, hunting, and fishing in Alberta bear country) I am gonna call you on that statement. I can say with very high confidence that the likelihood that you saw every bear around you is pretty close to zero. You may have seen a lot of them, but I guarandamntee you didn't see them all.

Bears of both North American species can absolutely silent as they move through cover, very sneaky, and surprisingly hard to see in even moderately thick brush. They are aware of you by scent and by sound long before you can detect them. If they are stalking you, you may never know it. Even after spending all those years studying bears, I have still been surprised by them (and have surprised them) multiple times, and sometimes at VERY close distance. I was never injured by a bear, partly due to knowing a bit about bear behavior, and partly due to luck, but I think I've pushed my luck well past the point of foolishness by this point in my life.

Which is why I carry both pepper spray and a big bore DA revolver any time I'm in bear country now.

Thanks for the real world experiences Doc, in that case, i'll be glad the ones I didn't see moved on before I got there and decided to leave me be. smile

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by smokinggun
If I had to choose, I would rather be shot to death by my hunting partner than mauled to death by a bear.

i would have to agree with this statement! plus i may carry a 44 mag always when bowhunting in bear country,but if a bear`s on top of me i sure hope someone shoots that bear and to heck with bear spray ! as a old friend said once to me when we were up in the mountains by Yellowstone park with plenty dang bears we were about 10 miles from camp with about 6-8 inches of snow ,we were on mules and my mule stop and made one heck of a mule scream and a sow and 2 cubs came out about 30 yards away out of a thick spot and ran away.this is what my old Marine friend said: that`s a good bear, i then asked him this :while he was sitting on his mule and he was also holding his 338 Win. Mag. rifle > what if that bear would have came our way? that old Marine said this : dead bear. i never said anything more or asked anything else about bears but did now understand why he insisted us to use 338 Win.Mags. and bring a hand ax and a portable army shovel on this elk hunt. plus when we got back down and went to a gas station a Warden walked up to me and said this : so you guys were hunting by the park ,you guys need to buy a can of bear spray and if you shoot a bear it better have some bear spray on the muzzle of that bear before i get there, i said ok. that old Marine friend was laughing and asked me : do you understand what that Warden meant ? YEP I DO with a Grin,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 09/24/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Did bears kill the 13 cattle or something else ?

I was hunting up around Salmon , ID. and saw some huge bear tracks and realised that I would never carry a 25-06 in a place like that again .

If a hunter is threatened life & limb by a grizzly/black bear - he shoots it - is there a written law that he has to report it to the authorities ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by smokinggun
If I had to choose, I would rather be shot to death by my hunting partner than mauled to death by a bear.

i would have to agree with this statement! plus i may carry a 44 mag always when bowhunting in bear country,but if a bear`s on top of me i sure hope someone shoots that bear and to heck with bear spray ! as a old friend said once to me when we were up in the mountains by Yellowstone park with plenty dang bears we were about 10 miles from camp with about 6-8 inches of snow ,we were on mules and my mule stop and made one heck of a mule scream and a sow and 2 cubs came out about 30 yards away out of a thick spot and ran away.this is what my old Marine friend said: that`s a good bear, i then asked him this :while he was sitting on his mule and he was also holding his 338 Win. Mag. rifle > what if that bear would have came our way? that old Marine said this : dead bear. i never said anything more or asked anything else about bears but did now understand why he insisted us to use 338 Win.Mags. and bring a hand ax and a portable army shovel on this elk hunt. plus when we got back down and went to a gas station a Warden walked up to me and said this : so you guys were hunting by the park ,you guys need to buy a can of bear spray and if you shoot a bear it better have some bear spray on the muzzle of that bear before i get there, i said ok. that old Marine friend was laughing and asked me : do you understand what that Warden meant ? YEP I DO with a Grin,Pete53

Great campfire story.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Did bears kill the 13 cattle or something else ?

I was hunting up around Salmon , ID. and saw some huge bear tracks and realised that I would never carry a 25-06 in a place like that again .

If a hunter is threatened life & limb by a grizzly/black bear - he shoots it - is there a written law that he has to report it to the authorities ?

Most places I would assume so. In AK for certain it must be reported and you are responsible for salvaging the skull and hide. Every Feburary the state auctions them off.

Last edited by Sitka deer; 09/24/19.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the lower 48 if you don'y report it they will have a crime scene forensic lab like CSI investigating and trackin your azz down for killin a precious bear.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by irfubar
In the lower 48 if you don'y report it they will have a crime scene forensic lab like CSI investigating and trackin your azz down for killin a precious bear.....

Yep, and it wont be as sorry as the Warren Comis.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by Brad
I still cant figure out how none of 4 hunters shot the bear.

About the best possible way to kill your partner is shoot at a bear while it's on top of him.

Seems like they handled themselves well.

If my partner isn't shooting the sonofabitch off me, I'll shoot his ass if I survive.

Yeah, and I don't hunt with guys who would shoot me through a bear.

I have stood my ground on a bear coming for me and hit it with an arrow which turned it away.

Binoculars work too.

Last edited by las; 09/24/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still cant figure out how none of 4 hunters shot the bear. I guess the bear was smart enough to attack and swat each ones gun into the Bush before they could do anything.

How much time lapsed between the attack and when bear spray was applied? It is entirely possible that during that short period of time that the situation was moving blazingly fast. I guess the bear could have been sitting perfectly still, but I suspect not. With bear spray a stream can be guided into a moving target or a fog can be applied to a broad area with no risk to the human. Being that we weren't there and the survivor is in in good condition, I don't reckon I'll be second guessing from the comfort of my living room and only a nugget of factual information.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I'm not second guessing the hunters. And, I agree with you in that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE (as I've already said).

Did you read the thread? I reported that I didnt think about the guys being bow hunting. I'm now second guessing you either didnt read tbe thread or that you forgot what was said. whistle

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/24/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I still cant figure out how none of 4 hunters shot the bear. I guess the bear was smart enough to attack and swat each ones gun into the Bush before they could do anything.

How much time lapsed between the attack and when bear spray was applied? It is entirely possible that during that short period of time that the situation was moving blazingly fast. I guess the bear could have been sitting perfectly still, but I suspect not. With bear spray a stream can be guided into a moving target or a fog can be applied to a broad area with no risk to the human. Being that we weren't there and the survivor is in in good condition, I don't reckon I'll be second guessing from the comfort of my living room and only a nugget of factual information.

We do have one critical fact: a bear richly in need of killing was not.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket

All due respect, Jerry, but in my experience (35+ years of backpacking, hunting, and fishing in Alberta bear country) I am gonna call you on that statement. I can say with very high confidence that the likelihood that you saw every bear around you is pretty close to zero. You may have seen a lot of them, but I guarandamntee you didn't see them all.

Bears of both North American species can absolutely silent as they move through cover, very sneaky, and surprisingly hard to see in even moderately thick brush. They are aware of you by scent and by sound long before you can detect them. If they are stalking you, you may never know it. Even after spending all those years studying bears, I have still been surprised by them (and have surprised them) multiple times, and sometimes at VERY close distance. I was never injured by a bear, partly due to knowing a bit about bear behavior, and partly due to luck, but I think I've pushed my luck well past the point of foolishness by this point in my life.

Which is why I carry both pepper spray and a big bore DA revolver any time I'm in bear country now.

exactly. I now work in bear country every day. You simply don't see most of them. Open country or not.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
When dealing with an entrapped patient at a car wreck....care must be taken to protect the airway and the C spine.

You must remove the wreckage from the patient...not the patient from the wreckage.

If the patient starts to crash or there is a fire or you and the whole mess just slid into the water......you get them the fugg outta the car.

Very well stated and a great comparison IMHO

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I know a lot of guys pack a G20 for defense, but I always figured if I am using a pistol for bear defense, there is a damn good chance the bear is going to be at contact distance. So I use a revolver, because I will be jamming that muzzle into his chin or throat or whatever the next most lethal target is that I can reach, and pulling that trigger until the bear dies, leaves, or makes me stop, Or the gun is empty. Don’t need an auto going out of battery because some adrenaline-soaked klutz jammed it into something soft. I currently have a Ruger Blackhawk .44 my father in law left me, but will be switching to a Redhawk as soon as I can turn loose of the money. Less motor skills required to operate a double action, and I want every bit of help I can get when I default to my base skill level.

I get the impression a lot of guys who do consider how to plan for a bear attack either don’t know or forget to consider how they will function in that situation. Hence the autos, and talk of rates of fire. We aren’t talking about a human running at you with a knife. We are talking about something as much as three or four times your weight coming at you at least three times faster than a man, and maybe even from less than 5 yards. Or hitting you from the side or behind almost simultaneously with you becoming aware of its presence. If that happens, you will be lucky to get one shot before you are in contact and maybe on the ground. For a charging bear I will use the spray if I have time. But on the ground? You want to introduce that into your wrestling match? Degrade your abilities even further? Not me. Give me a .357 or bigger with hard cast bullets in every chamber. I use the .44 because that is the largest caliber I feel comfortable using other than 45 Colt, and it’s what I have. Main thing is penetration to a lethal target from close or contact distance. Bullets matter more than headstamps, as some are fond of saying. But the platform needs to be simple, rugged, and operable at contact distance. The autos miss that goal for me.

It has always amazed me that people go into known bear country without an effective means of defense. You don’t get to pick whether or not you see a bear, nor how that bear will decide to react to you, so you should plan for the worst. You will probably never have a problem. But if you do, the preparation for dealing with it may well decide the outcome. I don’t live in fear of anything, but I consider what can happen and take steps to make sure I can deal with it as well as is possible. When it doesn’t happen, that is a good day. If it does happen, I am as ready as I can be.

Someone mentioned a lanyard to make sure they don’t lose the pistol. I like that idea, but wonder what happens if something catches it and jerks the gun out of the hand? Seems if you make the lanyard strong enough to be of any use in a bear attack, it would be strong enough to break your grip or strangle you if things went haywire. Just something to consider.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i recently bought a lanyard for a p320/m17 that i think is pretty cool. has adjustible kevlar like belt loop attached to a snap press section which goes to the coiled coated cable. You can remove it quite easily. wasn't thinking of bears particularly but didn't want the handgun to get out of reach of my hand.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would want the lanyard to be able to release on both ends, since you don’t need a pissed off bear wrapped up in a lanyard that is strongly attached to either you or the gun. Same goes for a PCP- crazed perp, by the way. Cables and similar are simply a snagfest in a wrestling match. No matter who or what it’s with. Of course, with the human, good retention tactics usually suffice. With a bear? Not so much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i recently bought a lanyard for a p320/m17 that i think is pretty cool. has adjustible kevlar like belt loop attached to a snap press section which goes to the coiled coated cable. You can remove it quite easily. wasn't thinking of bears particularly but didn't want the handgun to get out of reach of my hand.

"A British Officer will rarely need his revolver, but when he does he will need it badly."

Forget exactly where I read that quote, but in the latter half of the 19th Century I believe the Brits lead the world in the development and application of practical fighting handguns.

They went to lanyards early on.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,150
Posts18,484,227
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.