Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I don't have the space to setup for reloading currently. In fact, I just started shooting rifles again, a couple months ago. My uncle passed away, and I got my Ruger .300 Win Mag back, that I had sold him.

Anyway, this season is going to be with factory fodder ammo. I always loaded/used Interlocks, Partitions, or Accubonds. Preferring heavier bullets in a .30 magnum, I ordered the Nosler Trophy Grade with the 200 grain Partition. Advertised velocity is 2750, which made me like the idea more. No need to run on the edge of safety for the small deer around here. Also, my son and I have been invited on a Black Bear hunt in WV, and a feral pig hunt in SC. So I'm wanting this bullet to be my do it all this year.

I'm just curious about others experience(s), using the 200 Partition on Bambi. Also others thoughts on the Nosler Ammunition.

PS: There is a 300+ lb bear around here, that has been a nightmare this year. He tore up my neighbors honey bees, and broke a crap load of Apple, Peach, and Cherry trees while burglarizing the fruit. He has become my goal for this year :-D

Attached Images
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
.300 win and a 200 gr Partition...I think it will kill deer...and maybe...just maybe...a 300 lb bear.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Make sure another one isn't standing behind the one you want to shoot. grin

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have taken big game from pronghorns to 6x6 elk with the .30 200 Partition, at ranges from 40 feet to 400 yards. You can kill whitetails from any angle with it, yet still need to be aware of what mathman noted.

At 2750 fps it will kill fine but USUALLY not shoot up much meat. (Have learned to qualify statements about bullets ruining game meat, because the results can vary, even with monolithics.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never used a .308, 200 gr. Partition out of a .300 Win. Mag. on whitetail or bear but have used them quite extensively on African game of similar size and far heavier. It works perfectly. In my experience, that bullet (and the .308, 200 gr. Barnes TSX) out of a .300 Win. Mag. is the ultimate do-all combo.

RS

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this combination! It should perform up to and perhaps beyond expectations. As a plus, with the expected velocities, bloodshot meat should be at a minimum! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
.300 win and a 200 gr Partition...I think it will kill deer...and maybe...just maybe...a 300 lb bear.

Elkster would think it entirely inadequate...

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have taken big game from pronghorns to 6x6 elk with the .30 200 Partition, at ranges from 40 feet to 400 yards. You can kill whitetails from any angle with it, yet still need to be aware of what mathman noted.

At 2750 fps it will kill fine but USUALLY not shoot up much meat. (Have learned to qualify statements about bullets ruining game meat, because the results can vary, even with monolithics.)

The lower speed is why I bought the loaded Nosler stuff. I'm not a fan of my deer meat looking like it went 15 rounds with Mike Tyson lol I would have got the 220 Partition if they sold it already loaded.

I guess my post seemed a little silly, because of course it will kill what I'm after. Just starting on this forum, I figured I'd just jump in.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va

What part of VA are you in? I'm in the south-west corner.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Never used a .308, 200 gr. Partition out of a .300 Win. Mag. on whitetail or bear but have used them quite extensively on African game of similar size and far heavier. It works perfectly. In my experience, that bullet (and the .308, 200 gr. Barnes TSX) out of a .300 Win. Mag. is the ultimate do-all combo.

RS

That's what I was hoping for. I'm going to be using this rifle as a tribute to my uncle. I'm hoping for a great hunting season.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have shot a small whitetail with the 200gr partition in a 30-06 muzzle velocity 2600 and it damaged very little meat. A bonus with that load is you don't have to worry about angles. It will penetrate

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7point62magnum

Right next to Ft. Lee, south of Richmond.

The answer addressed to Poobs is in reference to an individual who delights in shooting Jackrabbits.............with a .460 Roy....

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

The answer addressed to Poobs is in reference to an individual who delights in shooting Jackrabbits.............with a .460 Roy....

That fella sounds like my kind of guy! Elmer Keith is my hero, and I've often been nicknamed "Overkill" because I was using a .338 Win Mag to kill puny VA deer, and my .264 WM was my smallest varmint rifle.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by irfubar
I have shot a small whitetail with the 200gr partition in a 30-06 muzzle velocity 2600 and it damaged very little meat. A bonus with that load is you don't have to worry about angles. It will penetrate

Sounds good to me! I have loaded the 200's to 2900 fps before in my 24", .300 WM. I just don't see the need for that extra 150 fps. I actually never got a Partition to group well, when pushed to the max. But come down a little, and I've seen them lay 0.5 MOA groups.

This year, I'm zeroing at 100 yards, because I need practice dialing in my scope. I got a 6-24x50 Bushnell Elite in a trade, and it seems to be a nice piece of glass. I'm getting into LR shooting, and learning any way I can.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

That fella sounds like my kind of guy! Elmer Keith is my hero, and I've often been nicknamed "Overkill" because I was using a .338 Win Mag to kill puny VA deer, and my .264 WM was my smallest varmint rifle.

I approve this message! smile memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
.300 win and a 200 gr Partition...I think it will kill

Originally Posted by memtb
I approve this message! smile memtb

It's a good thing I'm about to order a Ruger African in .416 Ruger. Sometimes these 125 lb Virginia Whitetails are almost bullet proof. You got to get them early in the season, before their kevlar coat comes in.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

What???!!! Serious? A 200gr Partition at 2600fps will penetrate? Your knowledge and insight is amazing... You should inform Nosler so they can include it in their website description of the Partitions that have a 70yr old history.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

The tricky part will be getting the deer to line up in front of the bear.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jpterry

What???!!! Serious? A 200gr Partition at 2600fps will penetrate? Your knowledge and insight is amazing... You should inform Nosler so they can include it in their website description of the Partitions that have a 70yr old history.

I'm so confused. So much sarcasm flying around here, and I'm not sure who the sarcasm is meant for. LoL

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
We have a lot of deer taken in my neck of the woods. I'm in SW Bracken County of Kentucky, right on the Pendleton line. Pendleton is always one of the top 2 counties in the state. Bracken is usually the top performer in the NE region. There are a lot of deer and a lot of big deer. It is not uncommon to see 300 lb live weight bucks and 170+ lb liveweight doe.

My buddy used a downloaded 300 WIN Mag for a few seasons but gave it up. The 30-06 he'd carried previously was much lighter and had much less recoil. They gave similar results: hole going in, hole going out, dead deer.

To date, I've seen exactly one deer that sticks out in my mind that had been hit with a 300 WIN Mag. It was at the processor and was the deer processed right ahead of the one we were dropping off. Yikes. The guy had hit this large buck little high and nailed just under the spine behind the ribs. It l had literally cut the deer in half. The only thing holding it together was the hide. I think it was right about then that SuperCore, my buddy, decided to sell his 300 Win Mag.

Last edited by shaman; 09/27/19.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.