Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
If I manage to break all those during my up coming 4th rifle elk hunt, I'm taking up fly fishing.

If you manage to break those, fly fishing is the LAST thing you should be taking up!!! 😂

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I never liked it. In fact, despite having owned dozens of centerfire rifles, both larger and smaller, have never owned one in my life and doubt I ever will..

Never even owned one and hate it. lol! Can't make that sh t up.

I don't currently have one, but the LH Rem KS I had in .270 was a real peach.

Who's the idiot who gave the .270 the 'gay' moniker? Travis? Never quite understood that stupidity.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll be ordering a .270 Rem 700 lefty from the custom shop (700 C) early next year. Looking forward to it.
Bob

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How many still like the .270 Winchester

It is about the same as all the other cartridges in it's class in that it works fine and does what it is supposed to.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by broomd
... I don't currently have one, but the LH Rem KS I had in .270 was a real peach. ...

Still is ... wink ... Dialed in for factory 130gr NAB loads.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned six of them through the years. I like them, just have never really hunted with it. I will buy another IF I find a rifle I like it in. Right now, I have my eye on one in a Mountain Rifle...I'm a sucker for those things, wood or synthetic stocked!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I never liked it. In fact, despite having owned dozens of centerfire rifles, both larger and smaller, have never owned one in my life and doubt I ever will..

Who's the idiot who gave the .270 the 'gay' moniker? Travis? Never quite understood that stupidity.

Actually, somebody hating a cartridge they've never owned a rifle for, or even fired, is pretty common. Just look at any 6.5 Creedmoor thread.

But I have also seen it crop up whenever any Campfire member compliments almost any rifle cartridge. Apparently if many shooters REALLY like a certain cartridge, then they have to hate something else similar enough to "threaten" the niche of their favorite.

Still see this occasionally when the subject of the .17 Hornady Rimfire Magnum comes up, which is kind of odd since the .17 HMR has been around a long time now, and (like the .270 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor) is not about to go away. But somebody almost always posts something like this: "I have an accurate .22 Magnum, which will do anything the .17 HMR will do and more. So am not about to spend money on the latest fad, which is so useless I will never own one."

Come to think of it, Blackheart is one of those guys too....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guess I’m one of those odball’s that can hold opposing ideas in their head... while I can find a dozen cartridges with opposing and valid arguments to the 270’s throne, I can also see the beauty of the 270 over each and every one of those rivals for that same throne. Guess that’s a backhanded way of saying, “long live the king.”

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess I do not view cartridges as opposing, just different. They are more alike than different.

I have a wealth of experience with the 270 Win, that is why I am comfortable with it, My Dad has used one since 1970. I have used one since 1980. Both of my boys have used them. My wife, nephews etc. I have fired thousands upon thousands of rounds. So I am very familiar and comfortable with a 270 Win.
I may be a looney, but I am a certifiable platinum level 270 looney. I do not know how many different 270's I have owned, 40 maybe 50? confused

I always get a good laugh when people naysay it, especially when I know they are FOS with no actual 270 experience. I do enjoy good natured joking about different cartridges though. grin

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Guess I’m one of those odball’s that can hold opposing ideas in their head... while I can find a dozen cartridges with opposing and valid arguments to the 270’s throne, I can also see the beauty of the 270 over each and every one of those rivals for that same throne. Guess that’s a backhanded way of saying, “long live the king.”

Amen, Ol Bobby is smiling with that one.

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CRS
They are more alike than different.

Hey, you stole my old sig line... can't do that without proper reference to the author grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by beretzs

Man he's missed around here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guy half my age said to me that that 270 is obsolete.

My reaction was, "In what way?"

He did not have a good answer.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tejano
270 is best in the west. I came back to it in spite of shooting a 280AI, a 270 WSM 6.5x55 and a 7 RM. If I got rid of these the 270 would fill all the same gaps.

Similar story for me, I tried the 7mm RM, .280 Rem, 7-08 Rem, .280 GNR, 6.5-06, and 6.5X55. I went back to the .270 for my preferred hunting rifle cartridge. I've got an old Parker Hale 1200 and a M70 EW currently. The M70 EW by far is my favorite rifle to carry afield these days.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]P1000619 by .com/photos/184646090@N06/], on [bleep]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You aren’t kidding. This time of the year with everyone hitting the woods was the best!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep. frown

Chambered in his honor: smile
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You aren’t kidding. This time of the year with everyone hitting the woods was the best!

Yep, sure do miss his posts.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Actually, somebody hating a cartridge they've never owned a rifle for, or even fired, is pretty common. Just look at any 6.5 Creedmoor thread.

But I have also seen it crop up whenever any Campfire member compliments almost any rifle cartridge. Apparently if many shooters REALLY like a certain cartridge, then they have to hate something else similar enough to "threaten" the niche of their favorite.

Still see this occasionally when the subject of the .17 Hornady Rimfire Magnum comes up, which is kind of odd since the .17 HMR has been around a long time now, and (like the .270 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor) is not about to go away. But somebody almost always posts something like this: "I have an accurate .22 Magnum, which will do anything the .17 HMR will do and more. So am not about to spend money on the latest fad, which is so useless I will never own one."

Come to think of it, Blackheart is one of those guys too....
Ummm, afraid not Johnny. I bought a 17 HMR {Marlin 17v} very shortly after they came out. Kept it for a few years. Hunted it a bunch. It was very accurate. Ultimately decided to sell it after a few years. Just not much use for it as we don't have any gophers, ground squirrels or prarie dogs around here. Found It was good for crows and not much else. Also never said I hated the .270. Said I never liked it. At least not enough to buy one of my own. As I said before, my sons and my long time hunting partner use .270's and have for many years. I have shot their rifles and seen game killed with them. Folks are sure good at putting words in other peoples mouths on here. If you're going to be condescending pricks, at least get the facts straight.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Tejano
270 is best in the west. I came back to it in spite of shooting a 280AI, a 270 WSM 6.5x55 and a 7 RM. If I got rid of these the 270 would fill all the same gaps.

Similar story for me, I tried the 7mm RM, .280 Rem, 7-08 Rem, .280 GNR, 6.5-06, and 6.5X55. I went back to the .270 for my preferred hunting rifle cartridge. I've got an old Parker Hale 1200 and a M70 EW currently. The M70 EW by far is my favorite rifle to carry afield these days.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

That is a sweet looking rifle!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep. frown

Chambered in his honor: smile

That’s fantastic.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1minute, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.