Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm scheduled to get a cortisone shot in my right shoulder. I've had one in my left shoulder about ten years back. Two , or three in my lower back. It's only a short pain killer, but I hope it helps out some.

Any other old guys have the shots?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When my right goes bad i get one.

I fell after back surgery back in the 80's,the rotater cuff is screwed but i don't want to get cut if i don't have to.

I get it about once a year or whenever it acts up.
The left had Arthur visit last year and i got 2 about 2 months apart.

It still has a painful spot but i can use it more.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes. In my ankle and shoulder. Just like you said, short-term relief. With me, after the effects wore off the pain was always a little worse.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had a series just yesterday L3 L4 and L4 L5. Trying to avoid another surgery... Have been PT ing it and will continue on that route to avoid the knife. Lifestyle changes in order for sure...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 15 years ago, I was coming down a tree with a climbing tree stand when the bottom half slipped. I got a small tear at the top of my bicep where it meets the shoulder and another small tear in the back of my shoulder. The doctor wanted to do a couple of shots. I told him that I heard that it was temporary. He said I was wrong and that if he didn't think it would help me, he wouldn't do it. He told me that he was trying to keep me out of the OR. We did the shots about two week apart and I did about 2 months of rehab and fixed me right up. Been good ever since.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had two in my hip at 29, they didn't work for that deal, it required surgery to fix it all up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Came very close to actually hitting a doctor after he talked me into getting one of those shots.

It hurt like sin, and went south from there.

Ended up having to undergo 4 hand surgeries by an orthopedic surgeon to fix that screw up. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my knees usually once a year right before arrowhead hunting season 😄

I need should get a fresh round before deer season. 💪💪👍

Hoooahh!!! 😀

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I had one in my right knee about two months ago, and it really worked! Unfortunately the effects wore off after only ~3 weeks. frown

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had more of those in my knees than I can remember, before dual TKR's. Used to get them every 6 months. When they start lasting less than that, my Doc wouldn't give them more frequently, so it was time for something more drastic. I hate needles.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have had them in both heels for plantar fasciitis; outer and inner elbow for tennis and golfer's elbow, respectively; knees, shoulder, and thumbs (for arthritis). A lifetime of sports w/injuries have resulted in the need for these things. The shots hurt like heck for a couple of days, with the heel and thumbs being the worst. But after that, I've gotten at least 6 months of pain relief and in some cases, the injection eliminated the pain completely. Anyway, I'd recommend getting the injection and allowing time to see how it does before contemplating more serious treatments or procedures, like surgery, or whatever.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Back shots for me.
S1, L4 L5....

Thanks to a 16 yr old girl with a 3 week old hatchling license and her cell phone auto accident.

They aint all that bad.
Getting a novacaine shot for dental work is worse.

Biggest thing is the feeling of the shot fluid going into you once the guide needles are in place.
Kinda a tingling filling up a void or space sensation.
Uncomfortable , not all that painful.

Last edited by renegade50; 09/26/19.
IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had one about two months ago because my shoulder ached 24/7 and it was getting to the point that I was loosing range of motion in my arm and couldn't come close to reaching the middle of my back. I was afraid it was a rotator cup issue but the xrays showed some arthritis which is also causing bursitis.

When the PA suggested a shot I was expecting a big ol' long horse needle and a lot of discomfort but it was not that uncomfortable at all.

First the PA sprayed some really cold stuff (felt like the same thing that my dermatologist uses to freeze things on me) on the injection site and then she gave me the shot......I swear I didn't feel the actual injection at all.

So far (knock on wood) between the shot and home PT my arm feels much better and I have regained some range of motion.......I know the shot isn't going to make the arthritis disappear and I've pretty much resigned myself to getting more shots down the road.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm scheduled to get a cortisone shot in my right shoulder. I've had one in my left shoulder about ten years back. Two , or three in my lower back. It's only a short pain killer, but I hope it helps out some.

Any other old guys have the shots?

So far as I understand it repeated shots of cortisone doesn't do the joints any good.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Had my right knee replaced last year. Now the left one is in worse shape. Orthopedic surgeon says there is nothing that can be done short of a replacement. I'm trying to hold out until after the first of the year (hunting seasons, holidays...), so I get a shot every three months just so I can keep working. Had a shot three weeks ago, but first, the Dr. had to remove two syringes of fluid. Fun stuff! Effectiveness varies - previous shot did nothing for the pain, this latest one has given me some relief. Best of luck to you.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If it is cortisone, that is not a long term solution, the idea, as I understand it, is to reduce swelling so it can heal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Floyd said he got a cortisone shot for hemmorhoids. Being in the truck all day takes a toll.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never had to have one, I’m glad!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then you've been a 'kept' husband 😄😄

hanco trophy husband

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
JK Hanco..
crazy laugh
Lol!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,471 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,219
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.