Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14155265 09/26/19
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Recently a couple of range rats showed up with identical Keystone .22s. I have to say, I was impressed with the quality. Nice wood, fit and finish.

One of them, however, kept getting misfires. After a bunch of twiddling around swapping bolts and such, he finally called Keystone. They got the serial number, identified a known issue, and had a new one on the way.

Might have to give one a shot when I get bored with the status quo.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I assume you are talking about Keystone's 'Crickett' bolt-action rifle?

Had (the kids I should say) a couple of the Crickets (a design they "borrowed" from the Chipmunk), The Savage Cub and the Savage Rascal.

In this class of rifle I would go with the Rascal; No manual cocking, conventional safety, loading ramp (no need to load directly into the chamber), drilled and tapped for scope bases (vs the Crickett's less than sturdy mount), etc.

All of them are accurate, shot them at 50 yards... the only detriment to accurate shooting with any of them are the tiny size (for an adult) and the extremely light weight.

Or just buy a Winchester low wall in 22LR!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bet he's not talking about the cricket. I have the 722 classic, awesome little gun, american made, nice walnut stock, love the way the magazine works. Haven't scoped it yet, just iron sites with my son. Their scope system is a little ugly. Anyway, I'm in mine for about 350 after shipping/ffl fees. I think what may be hurting the sale of these is that for a little more you can probably find a cz locally. I only payed 400otd for my 455 american. I never knew keystone made the nicer 22s until about a year or so ago. They have some interesting stuff. You can pick up the phone and talk to them all day too. Pretty nice guys and will bend over backwards to help you I hear. I just had a bolt/trigger question for them when I called. Their earlier models had a issue so I was checking serial numbers to make sure mine wasn't one.

Last edited by killerv; 09/26/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You assume incorrectly. killerv got it.

killerv, I agree about CZs, but these guys live and breathe .22s and have slews of them. They seemed pleased with what they got for their $300. Jury's still out on accuracy, and I also didn't try the triggers. My SS 455 has a very nice trigger right out of the box, better than my 453 had.

Just another option to check.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've looked at them a little, but never got to shoot one yet. A local shop was carrying them, but they didn't sell well, and they went back to Marlins, Savages, and Rugers. I guess they got tired of CZs inventory issues and quit carrying that brand, though I've bought a couple over there in the past. The Keystones looked pretty nice, but they tie up the bolts, so you can't check them out like you can in other shops. Interesting guns, and according to RFC's posters, they treat their customers really well on warranty/QC issues.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've looked at them a little, but never got to shoot one yet. A local shop was carrying them, but they didn't sell well, and they went back to Marlins, Savages, and Rugers. I guess they got tired of CZs inventory issues and quit carrying that brand, though I've bought a couple over there in the past. The Keystones looked pretty nice, but they tie up the bolts, so you can't check them out like you can in other shops. Interesting guns, and according to RFC's posters, they treat their customers really well on warranty/QC issues.

Better not to have those issues, but yeah, they took care of my pal in short order.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Better not to have those issues, but yeah, they took care of my pal in short order.

At that point, the guns were still new, and still had some bugs to be sorted out. You can't really blame them for that, I guess. I have to admit I was tempted by the Keystones, but by then, I was pretty heavily invested in the CZs, so I decided to stick with what I am familiar. That doesn't mean I'm against them, I think the stocks feel pretty good. I wish KYGUNCO wasn't so protective of their inventory, I'd have liked to fool with them before buying one.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

357 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 16penny, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.