Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry ahead of time if this question is to wordy but trying to explain my issue may take a bit.

First I have a Remington 700 BDL 300 SAUM. Had gun for about 15 years or so. Got gun in a trade because chamber was off and any factory ammo showed severe pressure signs. Anyway I got the gun in a trade with the intent to re-barrel, which I did. Gun shot extremely well with the Shelin barrel I had installed. Forgot to mention gun is SS, if that matters.

I kept gun around because I assumed that some day I would get to go on an elk hunt, which I finally got drawn for a KY elk rifle hunt. Reason I mention this is when sighting gun in and working up hand loads, I would slowly extract the brass as not to sling it out on the ground. Did not notice that there was a problem but when I shot my Elk and tried to get another round in the chamber it did not fully extract the spent brass, leaving it laying in the ejection port.

Ammo is a fairly mild load so there is no pressure issues. Factory does same thing.

I sent gun to a Gunsmith in Georgia with a very good reputation for a new extractor to be installed. The gunsmith told me that he did not want to install the factory extractor and talked me into going with a Badger Ordinance Extractor, which I assume is some type of Sako style? Really unsure just took the advice of the gunsmith to let him install so that I would never have any trouble with gun again. I think I paid around $350 maybe more, cant really recall exact amount and he never sent me a receipt. My ignorance is understood! Please don't hammer me for that, I feel dumb enough. Lol I just really trusted the smith, he has an excellent reputation.

I got gun home and installed it in my newly repainted McMillan that I just got back, forgot to mention I had gun cerakoted as soon as I got it back from smith. Never thought to check ejection because he assured me everything was right. Was getting ready to mount scope and just thought I would see how well gun ejected and it would not! Mad as hell now but going to talk to smith and give him another chance. I knew he would make it right. He said send it back and he would make it right, he was very upset that he sent gun to me not working but he assured me that he checked it or he would not have sent it to me in a non working condition.

Forgot to mention that I also let him talk me into a pillar bedding job while he had it. Gun was gonna be right and I was excited! I don't have a lot of money but I wanted this to be my end all hunting rifle that would be perfect for what ever I might get to hunt.

I called him yesterday to find that he can't get it to work. I probably have sent him close to $600.00 dollars on a gun that I probably have $1700.00 plus in now. He is going to try and research some ideas but I thought I might see if anyone else has had any trouble and might know any fixes?

I am not giving up on the smith but I sure hope that he makes this mess right.

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you need to find a different gunsmith to me. If he can’t make it eject. Tell him don’t pillar bed your rifle, don’t mess with the bolt anymore and to refund your money since it doesn’t work.
Send it to a real gunsmith and have it fixed properly. I know it’s sucks but get it fixed correctly or you will never trust the rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
You are right but when I talked to him the other day he made it sound like a refund would be out of the question. I did not directly ask him for a refund but the way he talked he made it sound like it was my issue because of the inherent problem with Remington's design.

I am trying to give him a chance to make situation right. Will call him today and see what options he may have and make a determination on how best to handle it then.

Anyone have a recommendation for someone who can make it work?

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
He did the bedding job while he had it the first time or I would for sure not let him do it after the extraction issue. Also failed to mention that before he sent me the gun back he told me that he had installed a new front action screw. Did not think to ask him why but when I went to install the gun in my stock and torque the action screws, the front screw when torqued anything over 15 inch lbs would bind the bolt! Talk about a mess!

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm sorry just don't understand is this is an exractor or ejector issue? Sounds like the extractor is doing ok. I would send it to GreTan rifles and ask Greg to look at it.

IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking the same thing. Could be an ejector issue. Hopefully the so called “gunsmith” didn’t screw up the m16 extractor install either. Apparently he can’t even set an action screw to the proper length.
Just get your rifle back and try to get a refund for the work. You probably will need to pay for the parts though.
Send it to a real gunsmith. There are plenty on this forum that can fix your issue correctly. Shaen rifles, Redneck or Eddie F to name a few.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I get a little confused with extractor and ejector. Gun is extracting fine, just seems that there is not enough force from the ejector to kick it out ejection port. Talked to gunsmith today and he is talking about putting in a second ejector to help brass clear port. I also called LRI, Long Rifles Inc., out of South Dakota, they commonly do this for Remington Magnum guns. Is anyone using the dual ejector system, with a Badger Ordinance extractor, or any other after market extractor, and if so how do you like it?

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would try a heavier spring first, I think Wolf makes them. Just cleaning it can make a difference. I like the Sako or Garand type of extractor on my 700 type action even though it negates the three rings of steel safety factor. I have not used a rifle with a double ejector but it sounds like a good belt and suspender approach. The McMillan rifle had them. I do prefer the Mauser type of fixed ejector the most as it is almost fool proof.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.