Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBS
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Same with the metrics. Ohhhh chit what the F'?

.0001, .001, .01, .1, 1,10, 100, 1000, 10000

What's not to like?

Exactly-- Mil/Mil is stupid simple! MOA gets convoluted when thinking in inch's which most every shooter i have been around does. I can't count the times shooting an prone match when the guys would go down to check targets after the sight in string with a tape measure trying to figure out how many clicks needed for so many inch's correction. With my Front Focal scope I look at the reticle, look at point of impact and dial. Duh ---------- doesn't get any easier.

Nightforce moar reticle does the same thing. I all the same just a different unit of measure. Use what you like

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is in an moa ~ an inch at 100 yards and a mil dot ~10 centimeters at 100 meters?

Sometimes I have mil dot reticles, mil dot turrets, or range finder stuck on meters..... I hate that.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MOA and inches is about a 5% error. which isn't enough to worry about when holding for windage.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nobody I know of uses MOA for military tactical LR applications. A lot I know use MIL for LR hunting, match, and every other application. MOA isn’t hard to understand at all, if you grew up under a US measurement system, but unless you have YEARS of using it for LR shooting, it doesn’t seem to translate as easily/quickly from adjustment to hit, for shooters universally. For hunting/target shooting, whatever you like and can use or just want to use is best. There is no wrong answer with either. When there’s no way to go down range with a tape, and not much in the way of a known size reference visible, MIL and especially mil with FFP overcomes that far faster for many. MOA and using FFP can do the same thing, probably just as fast for those ingrained in the inches conversion forever, OR who are mentally capable of throwing that indoctrination out the window and just running their system as intended and not thinking they HAVE to view it as a linear to understand it. MILS tends to force that, out of the gate, and since it’s a 10-factor, it’s easy to grasp from an entry point. Reticle clutter, style, etc with either is preference, too......I wouldn’t argue against either from any sporting perspective. Not sure if my perspective makes any sense, but it’s just how I’ve seen it back when it mattered and was far more common for me than these days.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 09/25/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Is in an moa ~ an inch at 100 yards and a mil dot ~10 centimeters at 100 meters?

Sometimes I have mil dot reticles, mil dot turrets, or range finder stuck on meters..... I hate that.

While the origins of a "mil" is metric, the way we use mils in shooting is not metric or imperial, it can be used with either system. It is decimal, but not metric; I think that sometimes gets confused. I'd rather not have my range finder set in meters either, but that's a different thing than using a mil/mil scope.

If a guy prefers to think in inches (as I do), it's pretty easy to recognize a mil is 1 yard in 1,000 yards. (same as 1 meter in 1,000 meters; the angle described is the same regardless of units). 1 yard = 36 inches, so a mil is 36" across a target at 1,000 yards, or 3.6" across at 100 yards.

It's even easier than that though - you don't need to think in inches at all except if you're using it to range a target. Just think of drop and windage units in mils rather than inches; it doesn't get any simpler than that. If a round hits low for example - we don't need to know or care what that is in inches; just measure it with the reticle, lets say it's 1.2 mils low, then just hold or dial that 1.2 mil correction.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by Clarkm

While the origins of a "mil" is metric, the way we use mils in shooting is not metric or imperial, it can be used with either system. It is decimal, but not metric; I think that sometimes gets confused. I'd rather not have my range finder set in meters either, but that's a different thing than using a mil/mil scope.

If a guy prefers to think in inches (as I do), it's pretty easy to recognize a mil is 1 yard in 1,000 yards. (same as 1 meter in 1,000 meters; the angle described is the same regardless of units). 1 yard = 36 inches, so a mil is 36" across a target at 1,000 yards, or 3.6" across at 100 yards.

It's even easier than that though - you don't need to think in inches at all except if you're using it to range a target. Just think of drop and windage units in mils rather than inches; it doesn't get any simpler than that. If a round hits low for example - we don't need to know or care what that is in inches; just measure it with the reticle, lets say it's 1.2 mils low, then just hold or dial that 1.2 mil correction.

Thanks.....I think you just explained the differences FAR better than I had tried to in all that typing just before. LOL

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think mils can be very metric in use. They have a base ten correlation when used with metric measurements of distance. One mil is 10 cm at 100 m and 100 m at 1000 m.

I suppose they are not metric when we insist on using them with yards and inches. I'm guilty of doing this too. I'm too indoctrinated in the use of American measurement. I think there is a definite metric advantage, though.

How many inches per mil at 632 yards?

How many cm per mil at 632 meters?

I can answer the latter immediately, 63.2 cm. I'm not so fast at 3.6x632/100 to solve for inches. It comes out at 22.75.

As mentioned, as long as you are getting corrections in mils, none of that matters. If, however, you are told your shot was off by 18" on that 632 yard shot, what are you going to do about it? On the other hand, when told you missed by 45 cm at 632 meters I'd like to think that most of us would be able to quickly realize that a 7 click correction or .7 mil hold is in order (45 is 75% of 60, .7 of a mil should get you there).

I'd like to see more binos and spotters offered with milling reticles. Being able to make corrections with angular measurement is so much easier than converting linear values, even in metric.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rovert
If, however, you are told your shot was off by 18" on that 632 yard shot, what are you going to do about it?

Tell your spotter to smarten up, for starters, and get him to give you drop and windage in mils. If you're using MOA, same thing.
If you are your own spotter, you've got the mil "ruler" right there on the reticle, so that's how you measure how far off the shot is.

There's no good reason to use an offset distance measurement (inches, cm, whatever) in that situation rather than angular mil or moa measurement, and people's insistence on doing so is the reason this thread exists; it's what makes people afraid of using mils because they think it's difficult. It's only hard to use if you make it that way.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/26/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
While there's nothing inherently metric about Mil scopes, people don't like thinking in centi-yards and that's what happens with Mil + imperial units. MOA has the advantage that you can fudge to 1" at 100y and only be off by a factor of pi/3 which is close enough for most applications.

So in the US MOA will continue to win as long as imperial units dominate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When you spot your own shots, why do people insist on measuring how far off you are with the reticle, when it's easier and faster to just dial to your impact.

Do you call your corrections out loud then holler "send it" too......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aalf

Only when I wear my skinny jeans and flat brimmed hat..... send it mo fo

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar

And hopefully not blow the ass out of your pants going prone......... cry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bling on my skinny jeans bedazzles and confuses them...... "send it"

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I’m sure his skinny jeans are at least 8% spandex.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

I’m sure his skinny jeans are at least 8% spandex.

That'd certainly help the cause, providing he's under 50% bedazzled coverage...........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it depends on what they're using it for: big targets at very long range or tiny varmints at medium-long range. For small varmints at distance, I want the smallest adjustments possible (1/8MOA or 1/4MOA) to allow slightly finer click adjustment, and a matching MOA reticle in SFP since I'm likely only turning turrets at maximum magnification.
For big targets at a variety of distances, I think FFP and mil/mil is easier to calculate for and the slightly larger 1/10mil adjustments will be advantageous when twisting turrets. That said, the most important thing is having the reticle and clicks on the same scale. Mildot reticle+MOA clicks is a PITA.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
While there's nothing inherently metric about Mil scopes, people don't like thinking in centi-yards and that's what happens with Mil + imperial units. MOA has the advantage that you can fudge to 1" at 100y and only be off by a factor of pi/3 which is close enough for most applications.

Why would you do any of that? There's no need unless you're using it to determine range to the target (which is prone to error anyway).

Last edited by Yondering; 09/26/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you spot your own shots, why do people insist on measuring how far off you are with the reticle, when it's easier and faster to just dial to your impact.

Unless you're shooting from a bench rest, it's not always easy to dial the turret with one hand and hold the rifle steady and on target with the other. Easier to stay in position/on target, take a measurement, and dial it in. If the rifle is entirely supported and secured by a rest, then dialing to the impact is a good way to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I’m pretty excited to have my first MIL/MIL scope in my hands tomorrow, after much apprehension. Today I went about adding a tab to my ballistics spreadsheet rerunning all my tables to mils...the calculator I used for this (Zeiss) will do MIL drops but still spits out click in MOA, so I began converting the click values to MILs based on the MIL drops and woah...that was easy. -1.9 MILs? That’s 19 clicks. The same drop in MOA on my rifle is -7.24 MOA. 7.24 MOA? That’s err uhh 28-29 clicks? Just a small example.

Yep, mil/mil is stupid simple, to the point that even I get it, lol. What I wish for, for my 1000 plus yard steel clanger, is a straight power, say along the lines of a SWFA 12X, with repeatable turrets and half mil hashmarks on the windage only...dial elevation and hold wind.

"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Unless you're shooting from a bench rest, it's not always easy to dial the turret with one hand and hold the rifle steady and on target with the other. Easier to stay in position/on target, take a measurement, and dial it in. If the rifle is entirely supported and secured by a rest, then dialing to the impact is a good way to go.

You meant hold it, eehh?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,889
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.