Campfire Tracker
What’s DBC? Sorry for the ignorant question

B
bmoney Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I just used sweets 7.62, I can't believe how much copper (blue) came out on the patches.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I use Barnes bullets in .270, 7mm, and .30 caliber cartridges. I can't see that they foul any more or less than other bullets. Patch Out w/ accelerator is the best solvent I've found for copper removal, but I first apply Hoppe's, TM, or some other solvent and scrub with a bronze brush before an application of Patch Out.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Originally Posted by southtexas
What’s DBC? Sorry for the ignorant question

Dyna Bore Coat.

DF

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I occasionally load a bunch of 168 TTSX's for my 06' and go to the range. They are a great bullet, even though they aren't my favorite.
In my barrel, after about 30 rounds, shooting no more that three at a time, and letting things cool down, the groups start to open up. (copper building up)

In cleaning out the copper fouling, I use Bore Tech Eliminator.
I tested it years ago by first using CR-10 and/or Sweets until I didn't get any more blue/green on the patches, and then used Eliminator... The eliminator found and cleaned out more copper that the CR-10 and Sweets didn't seem to "find".

I have heard nothing but great reports on wipe out, but don't use it since the Eliminator is doing the trick for me.

Good hunting, and good luck!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I see many folks suggesting various brands of bore cleaners/solvents.....all well and good. Why not address the cause of problem, rather than “close the door once the horse has left the barn”! A nice smooth, polished bore “will” substantially reduce copper fouling....and perhaps improve the firearms accuracy potential! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/27/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
KG1 run patches thru until clean

KG3 flush out remnants of KG1

KG12 --best copper remover on the planet ...use nylon brushes 20 strokes

KG3--flush out remnants of KG12

KG4--some of the best bore lubricant made

Barnes, Sweets are Caca de la Vaca. Use only if you hate your rifle

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by memtb
I see many folks suggesting various brands of bore cleaners/solvents.....all well and good. Why not address the cause of problem, rather than “close the door once the horse has left the barn”! A nice smooth, polished bore “will” substantially reduce copper fouling....and perhaps improve the firearms accuracy potential! memtb

Sometimes that works and sometimes it attracts even more carbon. Bore Coat might be fine but I am not going to even attempt putting it in a pristine bore.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Sometimes that works and sometimes it attracts even more carbon. Bore Coat might be fine but I am not going to even attempt putting it in a pristine bore.

I’m not advocating “coating” the bore.....”polish” the bore with a “VERY” mild abrasive ( a bit courser than “jeweler’s rouge”). Obviously, if the manufacturer used a “rat tail file” to make the barrel bore.....you can’t help that! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I DBC them all, premium, new, old, whatever I have.

BUT, I take great pains to get them CLEAN, as in Hawkeye borescope clean, before treatment.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I’m not advocating “coating” the bore.....”polish” the bore with a “VERY” mild abrasive ( a bit courser than “jeweler’s rouge”). Obviously, if the manufacturer used a “rat tail file” to make the barrel bore.....you can’t help that! wink memtb

Barsness had an article about polishing a bore in a recent Rifle magazine.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I DBC them all, premium, new, old, whatever I have.

BUT, I take great pains to get them CLEAN, as in Hawkeye borescope clean, before treatment.

DF

I know you have had great luck with it, I don't have a hawkeye borescope and need to remedy that before I even think of doing something like that.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Hawkeye doesn’t lie.

I think some DBC problems could be associated with less than perfectly clean bores prior to treatment.

I’m particular on having uber clean bores for DBC.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Inhavent noticed TSX and TTSX to bullets foul more than any others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bmoney
Yeah I have some Sweets coming tomorrow.

I'll bet lunch money that the Sweets will leave you disappointed,

I also had copper issues for years with the Tsx's,,,,,, Multiple cleaners could not do what Wipeout does so easily.

Don't even wait for the disappointment of Sweet's to occur,,

Order Wipeout today, you'll need it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KG1 run patches thru until clean

KG3 flush out remnants of KG1

KG12 --best copper remover on the planet ...use nylon brushes 20 strokes

KG3--flush out remnants of KG12

KG4--some of the best bore lubricant made

Barnes, Sweets are Caca de la Vaca. Use only if you hate your rifle

I got Tendinitis just reading about all those unnecessary extra steps,

Try wipe-out just once, It does not get any easier, or with better results.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker

Agree and they foul a lot less than a lot of bullets. The Aframe is in my experience the worst

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by BWalker

Agree and they foul a lot less than a lot of bullets. The Aframe is in my experience the worst

The original, Jack Carter made TBBC were really bad too.
Honestly, if I have a rifle that will only shoot accurately for 20 rounds before requiring a bore cleaning it goes down the road or gets a new barrel.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Remember a brush is only clean the first time. Use it again, and you are transferring some of the copper it took out back to the barrel. Then when you run a clean patch thru you see copper. And the Dog keeps chasing its tail.

Barrels that shoot great fouled are the jewels. And shouldn’t be fooled with unnecessarily or to make the owner tickled with how shiny they look to the eye.

Addition: "Look, look everyone, no blue on the patch, now I can rest easily in my sleep." More wisdom to be found in playing jumping jacks with the Grandkids....

Last edited by battue; 09/28/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 47 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.