Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SS336 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I just figured out how to do this. If I bore you guys just tell me to stop. smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][/url[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice looking Krag! I've been looking for a nice sporterized one myself to play with. Did you have it done?

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I once owned a sporterized Krag much like the one pictured, nicely done examples are very hard to find. Lots just had a Fajen or Bishop stock installed with no other work being done, these examples far outnumber the nicely done jobs.

S
SS336 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks! I did most of it. A friend of my son gave it to me in rather rough shape. Had been sporterized, but was a little rusty and the bakelite plastic forend tip, grip cap and butt plate had shrunk a lot. Had a old weaver scope in mounts that wouldn't allow me to remove the bolt. Stock had a comb on it and I wanted a peep sight. Got a block of ebony and made the tip and grip cap from it and refinished the stock the way I wanted it to look. Had the holes filled in the receiver and reblued. Took a while, bores a little pitted, but it shots 180 gr BT real well. Rifle's 119 years old. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]strong cool boy names[/url[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
SS336 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Obviously I need a little practice getting everything to show up right in a post. crazy

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very cool. Krags and 99s! It doesn't get much better than that unless you happen to toss in an 03 or two.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
one of my biggest regrets in life is not buying a dozen or two Krags back when they were going (slowly) for 110.00 or so.
very nice couple of guns.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
That Krag is awesome. Great job.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I once had a Krag that I was pretty proud of. I sent it down the road to make another spot for a Savage.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
SS336 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you.

IC B3

J
Joe Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
That Krag made my heart skip a beat! Very good job.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
..alright, I can't deny that I respect the opinions of all of You, but I just can't see the appeal of the Krag, (OP's sporter is the nicest example I've seen though), please enlighten me.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
SS336 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
For me it's Teddy Roosevelt, San Juan Hill, the Cartridge 30-40 Krag, the smooth action, the kooky magazine, the unique look, it wasn't made to long, just an all around cool old rifle one does not see every day. Is that enough, maybe I can come up with more. grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JeffG
..alright, I can't deny that I respect the opinions of all of You, but I just can't see the appeal of the Krag, (OP's sporter is the nicest example I've seen though), please enlighten me.

Jeff,

Well Death Hunt had a Savage 99 for it's main character and the Krag was in the hands of his pursuer...... what's no to like.

😎😎😎😉😉😉

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SS336
Thanks! I did most of it. A friend of my son gave it to me in rather rough shape. Had been sporterized, but was a little rusty and the bakelite plastic forend tip, grip cap and butt plate had shrunk a lot. Had a old weaver scope in mounts that wouldn't allow me to remove the bolt. Stock had a comb on it and I wanted a peep sight. Got a block of ebony and made the tip and grip cap from it and refinished the stock the way I wanted it to look. Had the holes filled in the receiver and reblued. Took a while, bores a little pitted, but it shots 180 gr BT real well. Rifle's 119 years old. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]strong cool boy names[/url[url=https://postimages.org/][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

LOVE THAT KRAG!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
You could load it with heavy mittens on

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My Krag long ago moved, but it had the sweetest bolt action I have ever experienced.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's because it was a "relatively" weak action. The bolt only had one locking lug. It still made it feel really nice. I have ownd 3 in my life and each one eventually found a new home.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Number of bolt lugs had a bit to do with it IMO, but It was the fact that everything was case hardened to a fare-thee-well and closely fitted that sealed the deal.

It was a relatively weak action but certainly up to the task at hand. The safety lug was hell for stout and absolutely prevented the bolt from leaving the gun if the single locking lug cracked off. (All Krag bolts should be closely examined for incipient cracks around the locking lug's base.) Michael Petrov did a destruction test with one once, using absurdly higher and higher charges of Bullseye powder. When he finally got the action to let go (the receiver ring shattered, bolt bent sideways, and odd small pieces of shrapnel went flying) the bolt had stayed in the gun. The final charge in the "ladder test" was in excess of 25 grains of Bullseye. The kicker of the story was he ran the experiment after having ground the locking lug off entirely, relying completely on the safety lug.

I have three at the moment, one of which (a M1896) is in a state of "perpetual project". (That's the one that was traced to an individual trooper in the Rough Riders.) This one of the OP's is quite a dandy. Well done!!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 09/29/19.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have almost 600 rounds of Krag ammo and not a Krag in sight.

I have a problem.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,564
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.