Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenjs1
...I fully expected the procedure police to harangue on this one for several pages.

I am amazed that this hasn't been the case. It is always nice when they overlook an opportunity to lecture and condemn.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I fully expected the procedure police to harangue on this one for several pages.

They will. laugh

While not standard protocol I've carried like that with some frequency since I've been 12 years old.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Never have used my scopes for a handle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have and still do depending on bases used.

Last edited by sidepass; 09/29/19.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don’t carry like that. Probably nothing wrong with it but just don’t choose to.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by zeissman
Never carried a rifle like that although a friend does that with various Leupold scopes and they're not as strong as the Zeiss Diatal C 4x32 scope in the picture above.

Have never heard that Leupold scopes ‘are not as strong’ as Zeiss scopes.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Originally Posted by zeissman
Never carried a rifle like that although a friend does that with various Leupold scopes and they're not as strong as the Zeiss Diatal C 4x32 scope in the picture above.

Have never heard that Leupold scopes ‘are not as strong’ as Zeiss scopes.

I've often wondered if Leopold's light weight is achieved by using thinner tubes. That might explain a lot.

I do not carry my rifles like that. I might occasionally grasp one by the scope, but not for long.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I have the bipods down and have to move quickly, I do. Or if I just want a break from carrying over the shoulder. Never had a problem.

I hope those weak Leupold tubes dont give out one day.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Always, every time, for decades. That's the first purpose of a scope as far as I'm concerned. If a scope couldn't handle it, then it would in no way be able to handle recoil.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Had a post 64 featherweight 270 Win with Leu 1.5x5 fall on concrete when a sling connection came off the stud. I landed solid on the Leu with a good mark to show impact point. I checked the sight in that same evening. Poi had not shifted.

Brother killed a few bulls with it later and had to have it. On a later hunt above Vallaceto lake in Col we rode horses to camp after dark and his horse slipped and fell coming down a steep, rock face. He bailed off and landed on the rifle which he had slung on his back.

Yep, another solid rock mark was left on the scope so he stayed in camp the next morning and checked it out. Poi was still spot on. The next morning he got sight of a small 5x5 and heart shot it. He said it just looked up sadly at him from about 50 yards. In disbelief he shot again in the ribs farther back. It still stood there and he knew the gun was off. As he went to shoot again the bull fell over and died.
On remembering the events afterwards he felt the bull knew he was dead from the first shot. I wonder if a heart shot on a calm animal may put it in shock of if the animal is smart enough to know it is dying and not moving in order to stay alive as long as it can.

I once flew an arrow through the liver of a big 5x5 bull following a few cows past me on a trail. It jumped and ran about 5 yards then stood there and slowly bled out. Legs spread and head down. It wasnt a pretty sight and it was partially covered by timber where I could only see its head and neck and butt. I slowly knocked another arrow but when I tried moving to the side to get another shot he alerted and I was afraid to move any more, not knowing at the time how well he was hit nor how far he might run.

It was nice slowly easing through the East Texas timberlands on cool, wet, cloudy mornings toting that rig by the scope in my right hand hanging down and moving nothing but my feet, legs and eyes a few steps at a time, stopping every few feet and travelling slower than a buck on his search for a doe in heat. In that manner got some of my own deer meat.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/29/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I once heard a sgt. exclaim "that is a MF'n sighting device not a MF'n carry handle you limp dikd MFers. I still hear that voice in my head.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always do that sometimes.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458Win
Why not ? Been doing it for 40 years.

Yup. No ill effect.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll pick a rifle up by the scope sometimes, but not carry one in the field like that. To each their own..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 458Win
Why not ? Been doing it for 40 years.

Yup. No ill effect.

Ever since I discovered bolt action rifles. Just fell into place.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not unless I have to. But I will admit that it is easy to do. I just don't make a habit out of it.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have carried my 52B Winchester target rifle to the car many times a year using the steel tube K-6 as a handle with no ill effects.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
...I fully expected the procedure police to harangue on this one for several pages.

I am amazed that this hasn't been the case. It is always nice when they overlook an opportunity to lecture and condemn.

I believe the know-it-alls will tell you that this is acceptable...if it's a Leupold. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've only had a couple of rifles where I could get my fingers under. I've got Johnny Bench-type hands.

I never tried, because I didn't think it was proper. I'm also the kind of shooter that nearly always puts a sling on a rifle when it's going to be afield. Most of the time when I'm out hunting, it is cold and the last thing I'd want to do is wrap my hand around cold steel.

If y'all use the scope as a carry handle, I've got no problem with it.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Its like marrying your 2cousin . Probably safe to do but just not appealing to me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.