Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MGunns
A few weeks back my buddy went to Cabelas in Wheeling WV and had a new Beretta in 40. Tried to trade it in on a gun at about half its value. Guy at the gun library or whatever they call it told him they could not accept anything in 40.

A few days ago, I took a very nice leather recliner in great condition down to a local Good Samaritan Thrift Store to donate it. I thought about selling it on Facebook, but wanted to be charitable instead. As I was loading it in the back of the truck, a few droplets of water from a rained-on lilac got on the chair. I grabbed a small cloth to dry off the few drops, and headed to the Thrift Store. When I pulled up to the donation area, a guy walked up to the back of the truck and said they couldn't accept the chair, because it was wet. I jumped up, wiped off the dozen or so water droplets, and said, "There you go. Dry". He said again that he could not accept it. I told him to get his manager. She happily accepted the chair.

Moral of the story: just because some imbecile who is simply following some instructions that make no sense to an outsider, it doesn't mean that no one wants the item, or that it is not valuable and prized.

Anymore ridiculous anecdotes that people want to throw out there, "proving" that it's a "9mm world"?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you saying he should have just wiped it off and pretended it was a 9mm?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RufusG
Are you saying he should have just wiped it off and pretended it was a 9mm?

No, I'm saying only imbeciles think that 40's are not wanted, or that one could somehow derive the 40's undesirability from that scenario is less than intelligent. I think the reason for the disconnect in this situation was likely that the Beretta is a full-size steel 40, and I don't see many people choosing a full-size steel anything smaller than 45 very often anymore. Plastic is where it's at nowadays. Most people aren't going to want to buy a full size steel anything anymore. Thus the new Ford trucks....

The 9mm fad will dissipate again with the next "massive failure" in a law enforcement scenario, and there will again be a push to replace it with something with more umph. The best thing that Law Enforcement has done in the last few decades is make rifles and carbines pretty much standard, so that in real-life SHTF scenarios, handguns are only used until the individual can get to the rifle.

I like 9's. I think they are likely the most efficient cartridge platform that exists to handle all sorts of typical problems people face that are generally solved with a gun. That said, they are marginal for most of those typical problems. Like having an 18oz hammer but your job is framing houses. It'll work just fine, but it requires more swings than a larger hammer would, on average. That said, I think it is more about the carpenter than the hammer, always. I carried a 9 for bear defense when up gathering berries this year. I don't know whether it would have failed me, given that I had 18 chances to make it work, because I saw no aggressive bears. But I KNOW that the difference between a 147 grain 35 caliber bullet and a 205 grain 40 caliber bullet, both at 1050-1100fps, matters in that scenario.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
huntnshoot posts on numerous subjects and never fails to provide humor, even if juvenile in nature.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by lvmiker
huntnshoot posts on numerous subjects and never fails to provide humor, even if juvenile in nature.

mike r

Says the guy making a juvenile jab. I'm over here, Mike. You seem to be looking in a mirror.

I have experience on numerous subjects, likely far more than you. I also have an IQ that makes you a pants-shiiting retard in comparison. These are facts.

Any critique, or just more asinine insults?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe we should start a Campfire Mensa subgroup?
Only those that think they have an IQ above a pants [bleep] retard need apply.

Unlike the Genius HnS, I spelled the bad word correctly and got bleeped.
Maybe that qualifies me to join?

Last edited by NVhntr; 10/01/19.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Maybe we should start a Campfire Mensa subgroup?
Only those that think they have an IQ above a pants [bleep] retard need apply.

Unlike the Genius, I spelled the bad word correctly and got bleeped.
Maybe that qualifies me to join?

I'm the only real pants chitting retard here, since I don't wear panties, the rest of you guys have to chit through your drawers first, i'll be the chairman. grin

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have always preferred 9 mm but was taught a lesson during the two recent ammo hoarding/shortages under Odumba to diversify. Fortunately I had lots of pellet guns to use then. Recently I have sold off several handguns, and am now building back up with all 9 mm. But there is this nagging feeling to get an oddball on the side just in case we cannot get ammo so easily. I really don't want a .40 or another .45 ACP, but if I can get one super cheap, might be a good idea to have in limited reserve as something to shoot in a bad situation. Even thinking of a .32 ACP or even a .25 ACP. But in those dark days I even had problems getting ammo for my 9 MM Bulgarian Makarov pistol, so no guarantees. Been regretting selling my Glock 21 in .45 ACP today, but hated the expensive and heavy .45 and the trigger on that Gen. 4 was awful, but still it went bang and was not a 9!

In essence, maybe it is not such a good idea to have so many pistols in one caliber that can easily be hoarded in panic buying?

Last edited by HE112; 10/01/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I reload for most of my center-fires so the shortage didn't bother me much. As soon as I get a three pound coffee can of empties, they get reloaded ASAP.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I reload for most of my center-fires so the shortage didn't bother me much. As soon as I get a three pound coffee can of empties, they get reloaded ASAP.

Brings back good memories - when I was young a couple of my uncles were either shooting or reloading 5-6 nights a week, and every so often they'd give me one of those big old coffee cans full of "seconds" in .38 or .45 ACP to go shoot up. Frosted lead, etc, mostly .45's, and they were always loaded right.
I had a steady hand, young eyes and lots of free ammo. And I was passionate about shooting so I always strove to shoot better. I became a good shot soon enough all because of the practice I got with their generosity. Life was good!

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.