Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
They will all want to play there!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That will put a lot of schools at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting day! This will definitely ruin college football and make it just as boring as the NFL!

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing so good that someone can't find a way to uck it fup.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a turn for the better and will help at least some of the money changing hands to be above board.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mighty as well make it legitimate- - - - -sort of like Prohibition back in the dark ages- - - - - -booster clubs will be pizzed, though!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
One of the smarter things CA did. Colleges make millions off those kids.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by hanco
They will all want to play there!

Until they get tired of stepping in chit.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
How is destroying college sports one of the smarter things CA has done?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stickfight
This is a turn for the better and will help at least some of the money changing hands to be above board.

No, it won't. There will be as many, if not more, under the table dealings, not fewer, but not as visible until caught.

Should the "student athletes" receive some of the proceeds from goods bearing their names or images? - maybe, maybe not. If they are to be treated as employees, can they be fired? Would/should their scholarships be done away with? If they leave early for the NFL, should they be required to reimburse the cost the school has "invested in them?

I don't KNOW the answer(s), just have more questions . . . YMMV.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I agree, you should get paid the rewards for your labor. if you make money for your school you should get pain. California will mess it up though, they will pay Stanford's quarterback the same wage they do a member of the field hockey team.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
They are being paid. Consider tuition for four years.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
So does this mean that they won't be given Scholarships. Since they won't be Amateurs anymore yank the Schools from the NCAA.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kick Cali schools out of NCAA. Cali is always on the front line for
screwing this country up.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pay'em for their time, why is this so hard.

Colleges award scholarships and free tuition to lots of students. There are more non-athletes getting their tuition paid than athletes. They don't have to do a damn thing for the school to get their money. The athletes are required to put in 20 hours/week at practice as well as maintain their physical condition year round. Plus the time spent away from school for games. And on top of that they have to maintain a certain level of grades or they lose their scholarship.

I have a niece who graduated from college in May. She got a full 4 year scholarship based on her academic achievements in high school. Just the same as a football players who got a full scholarships based on athletic achievements in high school. All my niece had to do to maintain her free ride was maintain a B average. She didn't have to practice 20 hours/week ,show up at games and risk crippling injuries that would be with her for life. In fact she was able to work in the college museum and bookstore 20 hours/week and get paid additional money from the school on top of her tuition being paid.

I wouldn't be in favor of kids getting professional level contracts to play college sports. But they should be paid the same hourly rate for the time they spend working for the school as the students working on the grounds crew, in bookstores or any other job where students work for the school.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Forgot to mention most football players would not be accepted to college based on the grades and test scores and a good deal have special tests , tutors and test takers so they can stay in college.

My roommate at Tulane U was on the football team and he had a difficult time remembering how to spell his name along with his teammates.

Not buying that their all victims being used.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Looks like all your niece’s hard work paid off

I wonder if she raped and beat up a girl at college, like many football players have, if the university would have stuck up for her and protected her from local prosecution like universities have done for decades for football and basketball players?

Originally Posted by JMR40
Pay'em for their time, why is this so hard.

Colleges award scholarships and free tuition to lots of students. There are more non-athletes getting their tuition paid than athletes. They don't have to do a damn thing for the school to get their money. The athletes are required to put in 20 hours/week at practice as well as maintain their physical condition year round. Plus the time spent away from school for games. And on top of that they have to maintain a certain level of grades or they lose their scholarship.

I have a niece who graduated from college in May. She got a full 4 year scholarship based on her academic achievements in high school. Just the same as a football players who got a full scholarships based on athletic achievements in high school. All my niece had to do to maintain her free ride was maintain a B average. She didn't have to practice 20 hours/week ,show up at games and risk crippling injuries that would be with her for life. In fact she was able to work in the college museum and bookstore 20 hours/week and get paid additional money from the school on top of her tuition being paid.

I wouldn't be in favor of kids getting professional level contracts to play college sports. But they should be paid the same hourly rate for the time they spend working for the school as the students working on the grounds crew, in bookstores or any other job where students work for the school.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
How is destroying college sports one of the smarter things CA has done?

How would paying the athletes destroy college sports?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Won’t work and I’ll give you three reasons

1- you pay football, then you gotta pay ALL sports. You gotta pay softball and women’s golf, gymnastic, track, hockey etc. you think NOT paying Title IX sports is gonna fly? Not a chance!

2- unfair competitive advantage. “Come to Stanford and you can make $100,000 yr sell your likeness, autographs, etc. Go to Bama and you don’t get nothin Bro”

3- Abuse potential by boosters. “Hey Bro, great game. Sign these three footballs for me and I’ll slide you $50,000. Wink wink.

“Hey Mom, send your kid to Cal and a booster will “buy” $5000 of autographed per week”

Etc. etc.

God forbid Alabama passes that. You guys will never beat Saban again if he can pay (legally) for talent.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Gavin Newsom is a real piece of Chit. Classic narcissism at its best! Time for Cali to go its own sperate way (apologies to the good people of the State, of which there are many)! Bastids just want to legislate for the rest of the country (you too, LeBron)!

Kids want to be "professionals", let them go right to the big leagues and get their endorsements, etc. Let the leagues, the advertisers, and the wannabes take all the risk. Let the amateurs stay in the college and get a free education which IS worth something. Some will still hit it big, most, like always won't but will still have an education to fall back on. Let the NCAA(imperfect for sure) share profits with ALL the schools equally... keep, all the schools strong, not just the PIGS.

Greed is fuucking this Country up faster than I ever imagined.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.