Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Decot, Rangers and a few others with pop in/pop out interchangeable colored lenses. Specifically made for the shooting sports with a larger and higher sweet spot of correction. Also they most often will be further off the eye, which tends to reduce fogging.

Rain you have to live with.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An interesting idea earlier about wearing copper colored glasses for blood tracking. It has always been my preferred driving lens color because it accentuates the reds and greens. A friend of mine did jam a stick into his eye walking in the dark and he had a lot of issues with that eye for years afterward. Walking in the dark with a clear set of safety glasses would prevent that. Fogging and reflection would be my main concern hunting close range deer in cold weather. I'm kind of amused lately at the blue sun glass fad currently. Those polarized ones are supposed to be designed for the ocean fishing guys. There are some good You Tube videos on the Costa Sun Glass site for picking the right color lenses. I stayed with the glass copper non-mirrored ones.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I wore my prescription glasses dove hunting this year for the first time. I shot much better than I usually do. I am going to try with scoped rifle this season.
I hate the yellow lenses. They make me feel like I am looking at the sun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Have worn gasses most of my life. Out of who knows how many Deer encounters, and I and Deer stare at each other most every day, I’ve yet to think I may have spooked one due to reflection. Even if I did, it would be an extremely rare occurrence.

An old saying goes. You can’t see well, it is hard to shoot well.

Last edited by battue; 09/28/19.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by battue
Decot, Rangers and a few others with pop in/pop out interchangeable colored lenses. Specifically made for the shooting sports with a larger and higher sweet spot of correction. Also they most often will be further off the eye, which tends to reduce fogging.

Rain you have to live with.

I find the thought of the interchangeable lenses nice and considered it when ordering a while back but after trying the frames I didn't care for the ones with interchangeable lenses. I'll try to take a look at the ones you mentioned. It's certain that the further off the eye and the more open the frame is the less likely it is to fog....downside is the more open the frame the less protection it provides and as a sunglass more stray light enters. Everything's a trade off, give and take.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Slightly less side protection could be an issue. As far as stray light goes it is a non issue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only when bird hunting with others.
I wear my Oakley polarized black iridium lenses for dove hunting. They are polycarbonate of course.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
https://www.randolphusa.com/re-ranger/

https://www.decot.com/

All the name sport shooting glasses are made to resist shot at a reasonable distance. A dedicated sunglass only may not be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started wearing sunglasses while deer hunting a few years and one thing I noticed was the effect it had on animals.... squirrels anyway. The annoying red pine squirrels seem to be less bothered by me being there. Normally they alarm and chitter their warning like mad, but with the wrap around sunglasses on I've had them come right up to me seemingly without them knowing I was there. I guess without the eyes showing, they just think I'm a tree stump or whatnot.

And of course they are great in the snow and with early morning glare.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Glasses can be a drawback when and where I hunt, because it is often schitty-cold, with lots of climbing, so my glasses get all foggy. I've been tempted to try contacts, but they bother my eyes too much, and I am just used to wearing glasses. Besides, at least once a hunt, my glasses save me from getting whacked in the eye by tree branches. Never fails. So I will keep wearing glasses. The last pair I got have the Transitions lenses, which can be both an asset and a detriment, but are usually more an asset, as I hunt a lot in the snow, and the brightness wears on me, tiring my eyes severely after some hours, without UV protection.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any recommendations for keeping the glasses from fogging up? I do a lot of rabbit and hare hunting with beagles and always break a sweat which in turn means fogged up glasses.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Robster
Any recommendations for keeping the glasses from fogging up? I do a lot of rabbit and hare hunting with beagles and always break a sweat which in turn means fogged up glasses.

There are any number of anti-fogging lens cleaners out there. One thing you can try also, is go to any paintball shop and get a bottle of their anti-fogging spray. The masks the guys use are notorious for fogging, and all these places sell anti fogging spray. It works good, and often is cheaper than buying it from an optical shop. You can use it on your scope lenses too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gophergunner

There are any number of anti-fogging lens cleaners out there. One thing you can try also, is go to any paintball shop and get a bottle of their anti-fogging spray. The masks the guys use are notorious for fogging, and all these places sell anti fogging spray. It works good, and often is cheaper than buying it from an optical shop. You can use it on your scope lenses too.

One thing to keep in mind for some anti-fog sprays and home remedies is that some of them can adversely effect anti-reflective coatings on lenses. A while back I was researching ways to reduce fogging and many of the sprays say they should not be used on lenses with AR coatings.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I used to wear “yellow” lenses glasses when hunting in overcast, or near dark conditions. Found they were especially helpful in thick timber hunting situations! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by gophergunner

One thing to keep in mind for some anti-fog sprays and home remedies is that some of them can adversely effect anti-reflective coatings on lenses. A while back I was researching ways to reduce fogging and many of the sprays say they should not be used on lenses with AR coatings.

Walmart sells some stuff in their optical department called Kat Krap which is safe to use with AR coated lenses and is anti fogging.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting glasses are great for birds and clays and such. However, I've never been much for them for deer hunting. I just wear the same prescription safety glasses that my work demands.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

53 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.