Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been working out at the gym 3x a week for the last two years, still plan to take some breaks during this fall's five day hunt. Dawn to dusk on stand gets tiresome after a few days, I'll be going back to camp for lunch and a nap every other day.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by Windfall
I understand that not gutting a deer before getting it out of the woods is a Southern thing, but frankly I don't understand why you would want to pull out 21-23% more body weight than you have to? Add to that it is probably warmer where you hunt and it seems to me that for the quality of the meat that you would want to open them up and get them cooling faster.

Sitting in a tree stand and nodding off is life threatening unless you are tied in better than most of us typically are. An acquaintance went to sleep, fell, broke his neck and his sons pulled him out of the woods three days later. You can't fall off the ground comes to mind every time I'm debating a tree stand or ground blind.

Paragraph 1..... I hunt on my land and can drive my 4 wheeler anywhere I want to. After I shoot a deer, it takes 3 minutes to walk to the house or 4 wheeler (depends on where I'm hunting) and less to drive to the deer. Load it on the 4 wheeler and drive to the house. Total 15 minutes, maybe. That's why I don't gut the deer, also, it draws coyotes.

Paragraph 2.... I fell out of a climbing stand, I wasn't asleep, and I was lucky, I'm still alive. I still use them, but now I also use a good harness. Wont fall out of one again. Some of the places I hunt, if I'm not elevated, I can't see more than 20'. Nothing against ground blind, but it's not practical where I hunt.

Now that's the way to "drag". Where I used to hunt in PA, the farmer would drive his Ford tractor over and we'd toss the deer onto the three-point and off we'd go. Gutting one hanging from a barn beam is a luxury.

Ditto on the harness. Never fell, but ain't taking the chance now that my bouncing ability is limited. Last year I killed one from a stand, one from a seat on the ground. Just depends on the cover. Once we get a couple of killer frosts, things open up in the weedy areas.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Load it on the 4 wheeler and drive to the house. Total 15 minutes, maybe. That's why I don't gut the deer, also, it draws coyotes.

Randy, I used to do that, but I can't load one on the wheeler by myself any more, so I use a small home made trailer. I can still get up in the trailer and pull him/her in by myself. Tie a rope around the head or horns, and pull it in. Harder to get up in the trailer than pull the deer in. smile

Paragraph 2.... I fell out of a climbing stand, I wasn't asleep, and I was lucky, I'm still alive.

You damn sure are. And lucky to be walking. Had a friend/ex neighbor die a few weeks ago that was in a wheel chair for many years from the same thing. Broke His back when a stand failed. I have several wooden tower stands, and I check them over good every year before season. Most times if there is a problem it is with the ladder. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miles, I know the feeling. About 2013-2014 the young 'uns started acting like it was a chore to help me load one on the fourwheeler. Decided it was time to quit. Still go occasionally if one of the sons of old friends ask me.

I remember when Randy suddenly stopped posting.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The old gray mare ain’t what she used to be!

That sums me up to a T

Gotta pace myself now!

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can hike for miles, it's the early wake up and late get home that kills me after a few days. So, I take a day off, or change. Now that I am in WY, I can hunt on my 3 different species in parallel: elk, antelope, deer in that order or priority. It's been bow season for all and I have until mid-dec to smack a deer. Wife already has her deer in the freezer!

elk hunting wears me out the fastest, earliest wake up, longest/highest hiking. Antelope is not an early wake up and the hiking if flatter and I am in the truck more. I haven't deer hunted yet.

When tired, I just default over to the next animal, weather or tiredness will have me skip a day of elk and move to antelope hunting for a couple hours.

Also, as I get older, weather keeps me from hunting more.

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 09/30/19.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used to live for the fall rifle hunt when I was younger. Didn't want to miss a minute because it was such a long wait before it rolled around again.

Now I start bow hunting in september, antelope and youth hunts in October, the general in November, Lions Dec-April, and then Spring bear in May. I train my hounds in between seasons on coons as well to keep them in shape. In other words, there is no true off season so I really don't mind taking a break every once in a while. MT seasons are long, I live in/near great country, and I have the flexibility to hunt when conditions are right so I tend to just choose high percentage days and make money on the low percentage ones. Keeps me from feeling like I "have" to hunt just because this is my one week of vacation to get it done.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am awaiting on a Nov shoulder replacement so am getting out a bit now. On lots of painkillers and effect my energy levels.
I am a sheep hunter first, bull elk , mule deer and mountain goats run concurrently. I will walk by the the latter for the former. I take a saddle horse as far as I can go and then walk, luckily my legs and wind is very good so I can do this.
I take a pack horse as well, usually alone but the neighbors kids came along the last time. 13 year old farm kid, very savvy and can ride. I am going to put shoes on an old retired rope horse of mine for him and the little hunter will shine. God Bless

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
After working way too many hours and having a bad cold I climbed down and up 4k’ to setup a stand and on the way out killed a nice 8 pt sidehilling last year. I couldn’t drop to the truck and get my pack so I reminded myself the next day was the best closer and maybe I’d find one near the deer when I climbed to pack out. Being worn down and sick my wife loaded me up on NyQuil. Slept until 9am and when climbing up to my buck heard a shot. Short of it, a bear found my buck and carries him off before I spooked him around 10am. Neighbors nephew dropped him and he went 586#s. That’s a great Black Bear and kicking myself the entire year since. When I’m really worn down I remind myself it doesn’t take much to quit. I’m proudest of my hard fought trophies not my largest.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For the record, I’ve got 4 kids and a job that requires 110% 80+hrs a week. The last two months more like 120 hrs and a balance between all mental and all physical. After totaling a car being hit as a pedestrian and prior to that 2 herniated discs I’ve been told to go easy. I’ve also been told I’d never walk again. At 37 I’m not a young guy but not old. My body’s been pretty tramautized but it gets me where I’m going.

Only you know the right balance for you. It’s something I struggle with daily. I find the grueling hikes and miserable weather to be more liberating than most. I look forward to steep climbs in sub zero temps. It’s the best way to disconnect and it’s much shorter windows these days. I’d make the most of it and if I take a day off I’ve resigned myself that I’m giving up more than just 1 day. It’s undoubtedly the best wind/temp day of the season too for some reason.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I am more sore than tired, but Im tired too. I dont hunt hard or go in a long ways if I have a hard day at work that day or the day after. My shoulders get very stiff , my knee is very sore now so I didn't hunt today. I do however hunt only a few miles away from home now. It will likely get worse and may give up my Mission Endeavor bow for a new Mathews Triax cause it throws the same arrow the same speed with about 8 lbs less draw. I just can't pull back the bow like I used to with my bad rotator cuffs. .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With injuries the world changes unfortunately. Don’t take my comments to mean more than just fatigue related. I pushed through what Drs said I couldn’t and came out better for it. I also had nothing to lose and a lot to gain. With RC injuries I’ve heard it’s better to prevent any surgery as long as possible. I’d not risk long term health for a few hunts. With my knee being fragments and other lingering ailments I push harder than I should. I also have the flexibility to set my own schedule and pace most of the time at work. Not always and I push myself harder than anyone should but I have the option to focus on desk projects if I really need to. I don’t envy having the fever to be out in the wilds with the responsibility to be recovering for workdays.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’m also lined up to have scar tissue scraped off my bad knee but keep punting. Last fall, I had 150#s on my back and 2k’ to drop still and the scar tissue locked my knee in place. Made for an interesting remainder to my pack out. I’m not truly remote or it might have been more dangerous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Takes me 20 minutes to drive to the WMA I hunt. I usually do the mornings, then go home, eat, and take a big ol' nap. If I get something, I have time for tracking, dressing, and dragging out, plus getting it to the butcher. No rush, no fuss, no pressure. If I'm tired the next morning, I roll over next to the Little Woman and go back to sleep. This IS suposed to be fun right? Back when I was working, most of the fun had to be crammed into a few days of vacation and weekends. Too much like work.

If I go in the afternoon, it's usually to walk to a spot and sit a bit, often late in the year when I usually have the whole place to myself. Love sitting in still, snowy woods looking out over the Shenandoah.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being retired now, I've learned to pace myself. Tearing my ACL on a side hill with too heavy a pack and too far from the truck was a wake up call. I've exhausted myself trying to get a whole deer out of the woods by nightfall. Now I carry a double and a triple small pulley set in my pack with rope to get an animal up high in a tree and cut an animal up into five pieces and pack it out over days instead of hours. Just do half as much, but take twice as long. Slowing down actually makes you a better hunter. Probably since the wife won't eat venison anyway, it makes me way more selective than I use to be and my taxidermy bills have increased because of it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I take a cat nap whenever I can. I know I am tired when I can just flop down on the ground and take a nap. Nowadays about five or six days straight is enough for me. It starts to feel like a job with much more than that. Fatigue also increases the likelihood of screw ups so good to avoid that.

I have also been spoiled by usually hunting in areas with high numbers of game. When I hunt locations with lower populations it is easier to get bored with it faster.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It helps to walk 9 to 12 miles a week, it makes a world of difference. We dance most every Saturday night, wifey’s Fitbit will show 4 to 6 miles. That helps also, even though fueled by Jack Daniels helps.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The days of limitless energy and long hard hunts are now rewarded with several days of down time. But I am worn down in general from work and other things. I've made two packs out of these canyons this year so far with a bear and a buck and I have no desire to do any more right now! There was a time I could do this non-top, but not anymore.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been known to nap a bit in the field and take some time for a little fishing during an elk season. I will take a pass though if there is a heavy rain falling. Not always moving, but pretty much out dawn to dusk. Will still get out with other camp members after I've tagged out and packed everything in.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/02/19.

1Minute
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 71 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.