-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to live with the poor mileage with such a small truck. I get much better mileage with my full sized V8 GMC Sierra than my cousin did with his Tacoma V6. Wife has owned several Toyota cars which all have lots of power and get good mileage. I wonder why the trucks don't.

living the good life every day
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 12 year old Tacoma with 201,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck I've ever owned. In 12 years I've replaced the alternator. Other than that just normal stuff like brakes, battery, tires, and fluids. At the time I traded in a 2002 F-150 and have no doubts I made the right choice then.

Not sure I'd buy a new one. My Tacoma gets significantly better fuel mileage than my 2002 Ford while only giving up 300 lbs of towing capacity. The Tacoma only had 15 less HP, but weighed 1500 lbs less; it easily out performed the Ford.

Three years ago we reached the point where we needed a bigger truck and I'm back in a 2014 F150 crew cab 4X4 with the 5.0 V8. The Toyota only beats it by about 1 mpg. We kept the old Tacoma and my wife now drives it.

If long term reliability and resale value is important and you don't need the size they are still a good truck. But Toyota tweaked the design and changed the drivetrain in 2016 and it wasn't for the better. There are lots of complaints about lack of power and transmissions not shifting at the right time to match the engines power. Far fewer complaints about the ones with manual transmissions. Toyota is aware of the complaints and there are rumors of a complete redesign in 2021.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had a 2011 and a 2015 as sales vehicles. Both were very reliable, as you would expect. Aside from that, they were both very uncomfortable vehicles on longer trips. Road noise was significant also. Any 1/2 ton on the market will prove to be a more comfortable vehicle. If you have a marginal lower back issue, the Toyota will very likely make it worse. As soon as we went to the Tacomas, in 2011, guys started to complain of back issues.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
not to mention..what does a new 4dr 4wd tacoma go for these days, 40kish? crazy what they are asking for trucks. My buddy picked up an 4dr 4wd '07 about 2 years ago with only 30k miles. Old guy owned it, seat covers, etc. it was like new, paid 25k. Tacomas are just too small for me and I"m only 6ft...even the backseat of the 4dr is just too small for a grown man.Heck, my kids hardly back there when we all go hunting.

My first truck in highschool was an 87 sr5, still see it on the road every now and then...man those were some awesome trucks. We sold it in 1996 with 240k miles on it.

Last edited by killerv; 10/02/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My POS just turned 276k

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never really considered the ride of a truck to be honest, but I would never want a truck to be a daily driver. To me a truck is a work vehicle - I consider it a luxury to have A/C on a truck, I want reliability and low maintenance - something I want from every tool I own. What I don't want is to drive a full size pickup to the grocery store or parallel park it on a city street, or drive it 600 miles on vacation somewhere

I guess if you only get one choice, those things are important. Personally I'd hate for a truck to be my only option. I tried that once and it lasted about 6 months. I ended up buying my wife a new car so I could drive her old one and the truck sat parked for weekends. Still does

Last edited by KFWA; 10/02/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My own fear is that they will change em before I can buy one.

So many splendidly utilitarian vehicles have become soccer mom and old soft guy barcaloungers.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

have two.....

left is my '14.....DC SB w/6 speed manual 83K miles..pd $25K ish in '17 (before my mods)

right..wife's daily driver...'05 DC SB auto...179K miles..pd $25K ish in '05 (IIRC)

great dependable trucks.......do not tow with either....

prob wouldn't buy a new '16 + 3rd generation.....

2nd gen has good & better years.......2005 through 2015...

I look at longevity......much higher resale value than other trucks..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tikka, does your '05 have any frame issues?

I just bought a '10 with the access cab. It has a brand new frame under it, I was able to see that job in progress.

I really like my Tacoma, should've bought one of these years ago.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Corvette, and that really stresses my lower back. So many people complained about the low seating position in the Tacoma, I decided to get a 4Runner. I know it is apples and oranges to a truck, but it is my hunting rig. The newer 3.5 engine is said to shift all the time, and needs rmps for get go. So I think I am happier with the 4.0 in the 4Runner.
I think next spring I am going to trade the Corvette on a late model used Tundra since MPG does not matter in a second vehicle. I had a first generation Tundra, and it was one of the best vehicles I ever owned.

IC B3

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Probably a good truck, but it is way too small and uncomfortable as hell for me. If i wanted to sit on the floorboard.......

I just can't get used to the lack of room on the inside and the low seat height. I get some need/want a smaller truck, but bang for the buck it aint.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
About 18 months ago I did the same thing. I went to buy a Tacoma 4 wheel drive. It didn't ride very well so I went looking for options. I found a Chevy Colorado ZR2 with a gasoline V-6 and I haven't looked back.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take Dave Ramsey's advice on buying new. He says that if you want to waste money buying new, you need a net worth of about one million or more. Otherwise you are keeping yourself poor.

He explains how much value a vehicle loses the first 5 years. It makes sense. Wait til that $47,000 truck is worth 20,000 and then go buy it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Tikka, does your '05 have any frame issues?

I just bought a '10 with the access cab. It has a brand new frame under it, I was able to see that job in progress.

I really like my Tacoma, should've bought one of these years ago.

no frame issues.....lived its whole life in Utah...although they had a factory rear leaf recall

Had the rear springs replaced just 6 months ago....warranty......

This '05 also had a RF wheel bearing go out at 90K.....kind of early......?

Other than that truck has only had normal service......I change oil/filter @ 6K miles 5w30 synthetic

Three sets of tires......new Billy 5100's.......etc

These 4.0L Taco motors are simple to change oil/filter

Just like my 6 speed MT better than the auto.......

pic..'05 on way home from purchase w/7K miles on it...Oct '05

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Get a Nissan Frontier. I have been driving these since 1989. Great trucks. I am 6-3 and 250 and it is plenty big.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JD45
I take Dave Ramsey's advice on buying new. He says that if you want to waste money buying new, you need a net worth of about one million or more. Otherwise you are keeping yourself poor.

He explains how much value a vehicle loses the first 5 years. It makes sense. Wait til that $47,000 truck is worth 20,000 and then go buy it.

my estimate......that would be 15 years later for the Tacoma......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Only 2000 miles on this 2019 so I can't comment on its reliability. As far as ride and getting in and out, I don't have a problem with it. Got tired of running for parts and so forth in a 3500 diesel pickup.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 2015. Needed a new truck because my 98 Ranger was only a 2 wheel drive. Would have bought a Ranger, but Ford in its wisdom didn't sell them in the US anymore. Chevy Colorado was still brand new and an unknown commodity. Didn't consider any other brand. Bought my Tacoma in the last year of the production run. Didn't want to wait a couple years for the next generation Tacoma's bugs to be worked out.

I have a Sport model extended cab with the V6, manual transmission, and a 6 foot bed. Fits me just fine. So what if it rides like a truck? I bought a truck, not an Escalade.

I'd buy another...but from a different dealership. That's another issue altogether.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife loves her 2019 Tacoma Limited 4x4, my only complaint is the front seats sit so damn low.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
And left after the test drive. Seriously, I don't get it. I mean I understand Toyota's reputation for reliability (which really isn't that great as of late), but what a crappy mundane ride. And the road noise, what's up with that?

They are without question crude, uncomfortable, noisy and rough riding trucks. I wanted to like the one I bought, I just couldn't. I spend most of my time on rough city streets and highways. It's horrible in those two environments.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 8MMX57JS, 8 invisible), 863 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,113
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.