-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
and Hobbist............................ yes.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Inshallah, for some. Some do make their own luck but Schidt does happen. A persons health and that of their loved ones seems to be the divine crapshoot.

mike r

Mere randomness says I.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Perhaps our own member Calvin will opine.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
At a low point in my life a minister told me to read Romans 8-28
Paul is supposedly the author of Romans. I avoid Paul, he subverted Jesus' teaching. Like most perjurers he mixes his falsity in with enough truth to make it seem plausible. As to Calvin, he too believed in killing people who dared disagree. Check out the fate of Dr. Michael Servetus.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by RickyD
Catholics have tried to destroy anyone who believed in the Bible but not the Pope. This is why the Catholic church made having a bible, if not clergy or royalty, a death penalty.

Myth. Every Catholic doctrine, every Catholic teaching, is rooted in the Bible. Always had a bible, nobody's threatened to kill me yet.

Not necessarily telling or definitive. As in nature, from some very well understood and supposedly sound roots we have seen grow some very uncharacteristic offshoots.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am surprised to hear anyone say that about the apostle Paul.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You'll get that sometimes. I believe Paul's books are valuable for a better understanding of the Gospels.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Without Paul, the New Testament would be much shorter.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Not necessarily telling or definitive. As in nature, from some very well understood and supposedly sound roots we have seen grow some very uncharacteristic offshoots.

Interesting thought. Catholicism is the root stock, the 36,000 Protestant denominations are the offshoots (including Calvinism).

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have read a few sermons out this book. One of my keepers.

If youre going to read something, read something good.

Hell with that john greasham old man soap opera BS.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Perhaps our own member Calvin will opine.

Pass. It’s hunting season.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

Interesting thought. Catholicism is the root stock, the 36,000 Protestant denominations are the offshoots (including Calvinism).

That's your perspective. Mine is Protestantism goes back to Christianity before Constantine and the Catholic church. Catholicism began with Constantine and both materially deviated from the faith by creating an institution not founded in Christ, but in the Pope. Jesus wanted no institutions and hierarchies, but personal relationships between Him and the believer.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Catholicism goes back to before the crucifixion (as in "Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.") In fact that's the big complaint by Protestants. Sola scriptura. The Church considers the traditions of the time Jesus walked the earth and early practices of the apostles. There were sects with weird ideas but you know that was bound to happen.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Interesting thought. Catholicism is the root stock, the 36,000 Protestant denominations are offshoots (including Calvinism).

Nope the council of Trent signaled Roman Catholicism's rejection of the Gospel in favor of its own entrenched interests and traditions over against the Bible and the holy catholic (little-c) faith.

Protestants didn’t leave Rome; Rome left Protestants.

Catholicism goes back to before the crucifixion (as in "Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.") In fact that's the big complaint by Protestants. Sola scriptura. The Church considers the traditions of the time Jesus walked the earth and early practices of the apostles. There were sects with weird ideas but you know that was bound to happen.

Historic expressions of Protestantism embrace tradition just not as equal to Scripture. Keep in mind the historical context of Luther & Calvin’s “Sola Scriptura”; the militant individualism of post-enlightenment Evangelicalism wasn’t anywhere near their frame of reference.

More generally related to the OP remember that what we think of as the five points of Calvinism aren’t. They’re technically the 5 COUNTER points made by Calvinists against the Remonstrants in the Dutch churches who were Arminians. Calvinism is much broader than those 5 points, but the Synod of Dort is where they were hammered out.

**Where exactly does the Bible say anything about a man speaking infallibly?

Last edited by efw; 10/02/19. Reason: **
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickyD
Catholics have tried to destroy anyone who believed in the Bible but not the Pope. This is why the Catholic church made having a bible, if not clergy or royalty, a death penalty.

Myth. Every Catholic doctrine, every Catholic teaching, is rooted in the Bible. Always had a bible, nobody's threatened to kill me yet.
Not now but in the MIddle ages, it was a death sentence for a layman to be caught with a Bible.
In the European wars between Catholics and Protestants, it was all about power. The leaders on neither side were Christians. Just look at what they did. Their actions were in contrast to everything the Bible teaches. If it wasn't for God preserving his word, and that wasn't through the church leaderships, Christianity would have been destroyed by both sides.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I disagree, but that's ok.

Originally Posted by efw
**Where exactly does the Bible say anything about a man speaking infallibly?

The short answer is Matthew 16:19

I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If interesting in thought - good - but I had not thought of or at all intended that Roman Catholicism be seen or conjured as any such root stock. Protestant denominations are not offshoots from, nor were they nurtured by, Roman Catholicism.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if push came to shove i'm kinda sure i could deal w/3 Point Calvinism if not 5 Point Calvinism.

but, who knows? and does it really matter?

Calvinism is not for everyone.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Are you a Calvinist? Believe some things are preordained?

I am much more so than when I was younger.

Calvin's Institutes should be read by every serious scriptural Christian. One of the top 10 most impactful books in the history of the world.

Even my good friend John Wesley quoted him directly concerning imputed righteousness.

Nonetheless....

I was predestined to be an Arminian.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I used to lean heavily in the direction of Calvin. He leaned strongly on Augustine. An argument made against Calvin is that he followed Augustine in applying Neo-Platonic reasoning to the idea of predestination. In doing so he introduced error.

Luther stands in contrast by working hard to accept scriptural tension as they are presented. His argument was that he would not use reason to explain away tensions but let them stand. Calvin tended to apply reason run to conclusions that were a bit questionable. If God is God it may be better to let tensions stand and not try to explain those tensions in a way that satisfies the human mind.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 70 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.