Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Thanks guys for the ball joint info.

When do the generations change? Mine is an '01.

I'll look into getting some of those spare parts, fortunately, most places I hunt are within a decent walk of help. As in 10 miles or so.

Geno

Geno,

I believe your 01 is vulnerable.
I would recommend checking them often. Another issue is the four bolts that hold them on tend to break, check for tightness.
In my research on Toyota ball joints everybody strongly recommends genuine Toyota ball joints with Moog in second place. The cheaper after market parts will fail.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Get a Nissan Frontier. I have been driving these since 1989. Great trucks. I am 6-3 and 250 and it is plenty big.

I now have my 4th Frontier, I'm 6'4" and no problems with fit.
It rides and drives like a compact truck.

Nissans have had a lot of problems of late since their marriage to Renault. Sad to see as they were once of the best.

I hadn't heard that Nissan merged with Renault. What year did that happen. My brother has the 2014, and mine is a 2010, we love 'em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just picked up, from pre hunting trip servicing, my 3 year old F-150 with 15k miles on it.

They tore apart my air cleaner and asked me where I had been with that truck.

I told them I hunt where gumbo mud turns to dust.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Nobody a bigger fan of the Tacoma for reliability...BUT why any Jap egghead design engineer would provide a reverse gear in the 6 speed that would do 75 miles an hour in reverse is beyond me. If you want to back up an incline, either slip the clutch or shift to 4 low. Worthless.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
4x4 Camry

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 97 had the ball joint failure, but the good girl did it in front of my mechanic's shop door...! Loved that little truck, for 360K miles.

Can't stand my 09. Dang thing doesn't even have the decency to break down and give me a real reason to hate it. Then again, it's a truck, it's used as a truck, and it's stupid cheap to operate.

The new ones seem to be getting bigger, less reliable and still suck at fuel economy. Getting harder and harder to be a fan.

But then I have to take the Ford and the GMC into the shop, again, for stupid crap like ignition switches or whatever the bean counters figured they could make a little cheaper.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Toyota still does not know how to make a proper PU Truck frame.Ford,GM or Ram do and any of them is twice the vehicle off road as any model Toyota.They just are not made for the upper Midwest.Maybe be fine for wanna be off roaders.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by ltppowell
No stock vehicle can touch a Tacoma off-road (sorry jeepers). Tundras don't ride that good either, compared to some trucks, but they're a good compromise if you want a vehicle that can tow and still get off the pavement.

Horsecheit..... try to take a Tacoma through the Rubicon, it would be junk if it made it. Jeeps do it by the thousands , without damage.
But then again a Texans version of offroad is probably not really a challenge to a well set up vehicle....

My elk hunting partner bought an 89 Tacoma and added an ARB to the rear and a Lock-Rite to the front with locking hubs with nothing else (factory tire size and suspension) and had zero issues with the Rubicon, multiple times. Were the Jeeps base models?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You girls buy a compact pickup truck and bitch about the ride and road noise? Lord help us if there really is another civil war.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 2011 Tundra Rock Warrior and a 2017 Sequoia, both don’t have the creature comfort ride of a Chevy or GMC. But the Toyota’s have been excellent mechanically with no issues or wallet draining needs I experienced owning a Suburban and a F-350.

Wife has a 2017 Yukon Denali when I want to feel like driving my couch around town. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
My 1998 still kicking and just tuned up last week! Has a salvage title from deer collision but who cares! Get offers to buy all the time!

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Give me an old Ranger any day...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
No stock vehicle can touch a Tacoma off-road (sorry jeepers). Tundras don't ride that good either, compared to some trucks, but they're a good compromise if you want a vehicle that can tow and still get off the pavement.

Horsecheit..... try to take a Tacoma through the Rubicon, it would be junk if it made it. Jeeps do it by the thousands , without damage.
But then again a Texans version of offroad is probably not really a challenge to a well set up vehicle....

My elk hunting partner bought an 89 Tacoma and added an ARB to the rear and a Lock-Rite to the front with locking hubs with nothing else (factory tire size and suspension) and had zero issues with the Rubicon, multiple times. Were the Jeeps base models?

Ed,
By chance was your partners Toyota a solid front axle? if so see my follow up post regarding them. As far as stock jeeps with out lockers oversize tires etc... no they would have a hell of a time on the Rubicon and only a very skilled driver would have a chance of getting through without breakage or serious damage.

I challenge the premise your friend had stock tires on his Toyota , gotta call bullcheit on that. Simply wont have the ground clearance.
Ed, have you been through the Rubicon? or are you pontificating from your couch?

Last edited by irfubar; 10/02/19.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Give me an old Ranger any day...

The old Rangers were great small trucks. I had an old Dodge D50 I really liked as well. I think it was built by Misubishi

Over the years, the small trucks kept getting larger and nicer. That defeated the desirability of the compact truck in the first place; small and cheap.

Last edited by gregintenn; 10/02/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I traded my '08 Tacoma for a slightly used '18 last year. This should suffice for the duration until I need a walker and a can of Boost.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dad bought an 88 with the 22R engine new, put 160,000 miles on it, I drove through high school and college. Gave it back to him with 270,000 miles.

Then I went through some GM 1/2 tons, a Ford diesel 3/4 ton (still have), wife a Yukon and Tahoe. No big issues other than the damn active fuel management in a 2007. And now I just added a new Tundra. A month in and loving it so far. Was seriously looking at Tacomas. But decided for what they cost, the mileage and maneuverability wasn’t worth the loss in hauling, power, and roominess. Nothing against them or anybody that likes them.

Coworker has a 2010 Taco with 220,000 miles on it. He rebuilt the front end because he felt like he should do something to it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
You girls buy a compact pickup truck and bitch about the ride and road noise? Lord help us if there really is another civil war.

A Tacoma isn't really compact anymore. The Frontier has shown us that we can have a mid size truck that can work and play hard and do it with a pleasantly quiet cab and a reasonably compliant ride. Toyota knows their reputation will continue to sell their schidtboxes, so they have no reason at all to improve them. You can thank yourself for that.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 10/04/19.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DaveR

Jeep wins that contest, stock Jeep against stock Tacoma, I'll give Jeepers that. Best out of the box set up vehicle for that kind of fun. Lockers both ends, better approach, departure, break over angles. Solid axles both ends, and better clearance. And (like the Tacoma) a boat load of available aftermarket items to mod.

But here's why I don't own one. I don't trail ride. Rubicon, Moab, etc., is "wheelin' for the hell of it". You aren't wheeling to get somewhere, you're doing it for chits and giggles. And there are tens, if not hundreds of other folks close by to assist with spare axles, shafts, u-joints, tie rods, belts, hubs, etc., etc., or failing that, a lift out to civilization. Get a group together on the Rubicon, you could damn near build a jeep with a collection of the spare parts and tools (like welders and air tools) everyone carries or someone is bound to have.

But if I want to carry things (like a decent camp load, wood, dead animals, etc.) without towing a trailer, the Tacoma wins. As I'm out alone, often for weeks at a time, with minimal spare parts and tools, and far from civilization and help, the Tacoma wins. But I'm out and using the truck to get from point "a" to point "b". From camp to that glassing point 8 miles away. From canyon here to mountain over there. Not crawling along at 3mph on a 2 mile trail of the most difficult obstacles a vehicle can be put through just to see what it can do, when a perfectly acceptable bypass which might not ever require 4wd or lockers is a half mile (or yards) away. Nope, I'm haulin' azz, often over some pretty rough chit and need the vehicle to stay together while I do it.

If that's someone's thing...great. If it was mine, I might own a Jeep. Or even better an FJ40 Lancruiser. But it's not my thing. Going over vehicle defying obstacles with 10 vehicles ahead of me and another 20 stacked behind me, and nobody moving faster than they could get were they to walk, won't ever be a thing for me. What is a thing for me is getting way the hell out there where there are few if any people, for lots of miles, over a lot of chitty rough roads, for weeks at a time, and then getting back to pavement when the trip is up without assistance of others or tow vehicles. Hopefully with a dead elk or muley in the back. And that is where the Tacoma wins hands down.

The Tacoma will get me anywhere in the country that doesn't involve trail ride coordinators, spotters, clubs, trail markers, permits, and a tree cop around every turn to hassle about CARB compliance, green stickers, etc.,etc., that I could care to go. And will almost certainly get back in one piece (if history is any indicator).

Decent angles and clearance, locker in back, electronically limited slip (MTS) in front, reliable and tough as hell. This damn truck will go places. Take a stock Tacoma and throw a decent set of off road tires on it, and it will go anywhere most could ever want to go.

This is exactly why I drive one and my Jeep friend doesn't get it. I am trying to get somewhere to do something other than drive. They are driving just to drive. I love my 03 Taco.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.