Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sw is overpriced but has a good selection. I prefer scheels but they are expensive as well. Dicks is a joke.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The Sportsmans Whse. in Lex. probably has more inventory than the average size Cabelas, before Bass Pro stripped them out. Great selection of outdoor shoes/boots, awesome reloading inventory with reasonable powder prices. Any kind of hunting, and for local fishing, they've got it covered. Haven't seen a golf club or a tennis racket in the store.

I don't rally pay much attention to their big gun inventory as I'm price spoiled by Bud's being a few blocks away, Centerfire Systems in an adjoining town & Ky. Gun Co. just 45 minutes past that.

But I do like SW.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sportsmans also sells online. Search their website. If you request delivery to one of their stores, shipping's free. I've found some good prices online. It won't be overnight like Amazon but they get freight once a week and it'll usually be there on the next truck.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I stopped at a Dick's sporting goods yesterday just to see what they changed. There are NO hunting or even fishing items there. The old guns & fishing section is now coolers, balls for various sports and lots & lots of golfing supplies. I hope the dumb bastards go belly-up soon.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Haven't had them here for eight years or so, but what they were then sure beats the hell outa what Cabela's is now.

I agree, I prefer them over cabelas and bass pro these days.

NRA Patron
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are two sizes of stores now for SW. Our local store is about 1/3 the size of the one in Lewiston Id. I shop in the Lewiston store when ever I am up there. Our local one is OK but very small. I really like the North 40 store in Lewiston, that is a must stop for us.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like them.

All of the good and bad points have already been mentioned.

I would just like to add that they support my Sportsmen's Club with discounts for supplies for our annual kid's camp. Cabela's didn't do that, even back before BPS bought them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like sportsmans. Far better than any other chain shop IMO.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I like the one here. Decent prices on guns. Great selection on guns, ammo, reloading. Gun counter guys are typical box store gun counter guys.

If there was something to dislike about it, I guess it would be there are no used firearms.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Esox357
Sw is overpriced but has a good selection. I prefer scheels but they are expensive as well. Dicks is a joke.

+1. If you have seen one SW you have seen them all. They all are laid out the same and have the same inventory. About 10 years ago they ran off all the small mom and pop shops so they are now about the only game in town. One other thing that kind of sucks is that they do not deal in used guns. No trades, etc - only new.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
SW has a better selection of hunting and fishing stuff without all the other crap BPS/Cabelas has. Prices are sometimes a couple bucks cheaper than Cowbellers and they still give the 5% mil/vet discount on ammo and components which Cabelas does not. SW donates merchandise to our RMEF banquets and Cabelas BPS stopped. I don’t buy schit at Cabelas unless I can’t find it elsewhere. Most shooting stuff I get on sale at SW or pay retail at my local gun shop since it is 20 miles closer. It takes me almost 3 gallons of gas to round trip to Cabelas or SW so for small purchases it’s a no brainer.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by BluMtn
There are two sizes of stores now for SW. Our local store is about 1/3 the size of the one in Lewiston Id. I shop in the Lewiston store when ever I am up there. Our local one is OK but very small. I really like the North 40 store in Lewiston, that is a must stop for us.

Yes, I like North 40 Outfitters too. The one in Ponderay, ID has a better selection of outdoor gear than the Colville, WA.

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nearest one is 2 hr drive away. But it's basically the only game in town for shooting supplies. Our local Ace Hdwr carries some stuff, but very limited inventory. Couple of smaller shops in the town the Sportsman's is in, sometimes go to them too.

From what I've seen, they have decent sale prices on certain firearms. A large selection of reloading components as has been mentioned, which is nice in my neck of the woods. I go to that town occasionally and can stop in and pick up a few items I need while there. Have bought shoes/boots/sandals there for myself and wife, as we don't like buying them online.

Maybe they're watching this thread and using it as a customer satisfaction survey?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I will throw this one out also as competition to SW. Murdoch's, been to several of them in Montana and have a very good selection of outdoor stuff and prices are average.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by tzone
I like the one here. Decent prices on guns. Great selection on guns, ammo, reloading. Gun counter guys are typical box store gun counter guys.

If there was something to dislike about it, I guess it would be there are no used firearms.

I was talking to the gun counter guy last Spring at the Milpitas store and asked him about selling used guns. His response is that corporate was thinking about adding a used gun section in the future. I hope they follow thru with that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I won't step into a Field and Stream, Dicks anymore so a new store is welcome. Our local Gander Mountains are closing as of a month ago

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I went into a Dick's Sporting Goods one time, years ago, because I'd never seen their merchandise and it happened to be next door to a place my wife wanted to shop. I got the impression t by at it was just a soccer ball shop and never even thought about going back. I think they closed that one up. smile

Pretty much my impression of the only Dick's I've ben in - in Denver 2 years ago. Noting to see here, move along folks.

We have a SW here in Soldotna. One in Anchorage too. Not bad stores- lots of stuff, retail pricing of course. I think both are better than the Anchorage Cabelas, or for that matter, the Bass Pro stores I've been in here and there.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Here in LV it's SW or BPS and I don't go to BPS. The SW near me is outstanding in their customer service. Any time I have asked about an item the staff has walked me to the item or to someone who knew more. I also like their Elk summer sausage.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There's a Sportsman's Warehouse about 3 miles from my house, and a Scheel's about 130 miles away. I still go to Scheel's when I'm going to stock up on lots of things, but for getting some ammo, fishing equipment or the like, the SW is just fine. Service is sorta hit or miss, but I usually go in knowing what I want so that's not an issue for me. The thing I really like about the SW near me is that they have a ton of reloading equipment, at decent prices. In fact, I think they have a better selection of powder and components than the Scheel's I go to. Dick's isn't a sporting goods store, so I don't even consider them to be in the same league.

Edit: I saw someone else mention Murdoch's....while the ones near me (Bozeman) don't have the variety of things that a SW has, I actually prefer shopping at Murdoch's and got a very good deal on a Ruger 22/45 last year, way lower than anywhere else (even online sources). Plus, they have all sorts of other stuff I usually shop for, from hardware to things like salt licks. I just wish they had more selection.

Last edited by Remsen; 10/03/19.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I agree with all of the above regarding SW. Much better than Cabelas.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.