Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was along while Cookie worked this foraging pair for about 20 minutes, and I've seen this several times while hunting over the years. When the head/nose go up and the eyes are wide, they've picked up on something in the air. Five seconds later, they cleared out in a hurry.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If one notes this posture while taking up the trigger slack, he better get'er done. I've seen this several times when they were downwind and 300+ yds away. Seems like they'll wait for conformation on eye and ear cues, but the nose knows.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/03/19.

1Minute
GB1

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Yep. There won’t be any human odor unless a human is either there or has been there...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you could have filled 2 bull tags with one well-placed shot and a tough bullet.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am familiar with that pose.

next move is "exit stage left!"

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yeah I'm not sure I'd hurry for that shot!

But my experience agrees: elk might question what they see or what they hear but never what they smell. If they smell you there is no coming back--they're gone.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
There's no such thing as waiting for them to settle down. They'll do that 2 ridges over.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Reminds me of a time I snuck in on two bulls the week before archery season opened. I had the wind in my face and was laying in the grass in a timbered draw watching these two beautiful bulls, a 5x6 and a 6x7 from 40 yards. They were feeding w/o a care in the world. I was flat on the ground, no swirling wind at all, steady in my face. I watched them for a minute or two, when all of a sudden one then the other throws his head up and gives that look ^^^^^. A few seconds later they was gone.

My theory is that the birds quit chirping when I snuck in and laid down in the grass and the elk realized it got quiet after a minute or two. They headed out straight into the wind btw. Damn they're tough.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's no such thing as waiting for them to settle down. They'll do that 2 ridges over.

Ain't that the truth?? smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Seen many a herd cow do that. She barks and that is the end of the day. You are right in they will stop to check things out about 4 miles away.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
OTOH, elk will sometimes do some very unexpected things, especially when they're in large groups and in an area where they feel safe. Here are 2 cases when elk seemingly didn't care if I was there. In both cases, though, this was AFTER the shot, now while stalking.

A few years ago, I climbed about 2000' up a steep bowl and shot an elk out of herd of 70 or 80. I guess they felt confident up there because as I was rolling it down a steep hill to a flat spot to dress it, 6 or 7 cows stood on a small knoll about 200' yards away and barked at me for several minutes. Then they just walked away. They didn't run.

Last year, I'd climbed a steep hill in the snow and found a herd of maybe 100 cows. I shot one and the rest took off. As I was dressing it, the herd came back. They were about 4 or 500 yards away for a long time while I was working in plain sight of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 53 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,295
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.