-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We had a Sportsmans Warehouse over in Las Cruces (about 150 miles away) and there is one in Tucson, about the same distance in the opposite direction. We shop in Las Cruces, so having SW there was convenient. However, the one in Las Cruces shut down during the bankruptcy process and we were without one for several years. I will tell you--I really missed them.

They opened a new one in Las Cruces a few years ago, after they regained their financial footing, but it is one of the "down-sized" versions. I am glad to have it, but I still miss the old, full-sized store.

I probably go to Tucson 4-6 times in an average year, and I always hit the SW there, as the stock for just about everything is much broader than the smaller store in Las Cruces.

There is also now a Cabelas in El Paso (also about 150 miles away), but it, too, is a down-sized version of a "real" Cabelas store. Since we rarely shop for anything in El Paso, I may hit it once a year or so and I am always disappointed.

Just wish to hell that there was a Scheels somewhere south of the frozen north... frown

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sportsman Warehouse is way over priced IMO. I can buy 12 gauge shotshells way cheaper at WallyWorld. I shot a lot of trap---it makes a difference.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove
They are way better than Dicks but not as good as Scheels. Just my 2 cents.

Our Sportsman's has better prices than Scheels but it's not as nice of a store. I don't buy golf clubs or tennis shoes anyway.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Sportsman Warehouse is way over priced IMO. I can buy 12 gauge shotshells way cheaper at WallyWorld. I shot a lot of trap---it makes a difference.

I shoot a lot of sporting clays each winter after the rifle seasons shut down and shotgun shells are the only ammo that I buy. I confess that I do buy all of my shotgun shells from Wally World. However, I hand load for all my rifles and a few rifles belonging to my daughter and grandchildren, and SW has powder and components at reasonable prices, not to mention other outdoor gear and clothes that I can handle and/or try on before I buy.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have been a Sportsmans for years.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've had a decent run with them, especially out West when I'm traveling.

I agree with the pricing comments, but it's handy for a one-and-done purchase when needed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fishdog52
For you folks that have access to these stores, what do you think of them?
Dicks is selling the local Field & Stream store to them. so hoping for an improvement.

I like them.

Prices are not lowest, but decent. The places I've found with lower prices generally have no selection. It costs money to have a variety of product on the shelf.

The staff actually seem to use the products. The people in the gun department are shooters. The people in fishing fish. The people in camping and hiking hike and camp. More than that, the staff seems to have a .. wholesomeness? .. not sure what else to call it. The kids are solid, not snowflakes. The older folks seem like you'd find 'em sittin' on a hay bale or at a bbq ... with meat, not tofu. Flannel, not polyester. Hard to explain. Just .. they're .. us. My kind of peeps. I like supporting a business that supports such people.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by fishdog52
For you folks that have access to these stores, what do you think of them?
Dicks is selling the local Field & Stream store to them. so hoping for an improvement.

I like them.

Prices are not lowest, but decent. The places I've found with lower prices generally have no selection. It costs money to have a variety of product on the shelf.

The staff actually seem to use the products. The people in the gun department are shooters. The people in fishing fish. The people in camping and hiking hike and camp. More than that, the staff seems to have a .. wholesomeness? .. not sure what else to call it. The kids are solid, not snowflakes. The older folks seem like you'd find 'em sittin' on a hay bale or at a bbq ... with meat, not tofu. Flannel, not polyester. Hard to explain. Just .. they're .. us. My kind of peeps. I like supporting a business that supports such people.

Tom

I have found the same with the employees at our local store. Once I was given a 10% discount simply because I was wearing a MAGA hat.
I have no use for the people at Cabelas.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sportsmans Warehouse opened a store in my area a couple of years ago. Before that, I had to drive to Colo. Spgs. to their store, for bullets, ammo, powder, etc., now all of it is available just a few miles away! This store has been a real godsend for our area.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Good job buying shells from a company that is trying to sell off your rights.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/w...sponsible-firearms-retailer-partnership/

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if I buy retail stuff I probably spend the most on it at SW. Cabelas, since bass pro took over I really don't have any interest in going there. sportsmans has taken a different approach. They are building smaller stores in more areas. I think its a great strategy. They are focusing on things people need right then. They are very dialed into what customers want in my area. Cabelas used to get me in there because they would offer something at a great deal to get me into the store. They don't do that anymore plus they raised their prices. sportsmans has OK prices and when I need something they are most likely to get my business.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

add me to the good job list too, just bought a 2 man Field and Stream stand for me and my boys. Of all the ladder stands I've bought over the years, its without a doubt the most comfortable, easiest to put together, well thought out and designed one I've come across. I will continue to buy them as needed as long as they are being made like they are now.

and I did recently buy a $124 dollar remington 1187 20ga from walmart.

Last edited by killerv; 10/03/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I buy my underwear there. Guess that's bad too.

Last edited by colorado bob; 10/03/19.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
By far my favorite large sporting good store...they blow away cabelas bass pro and scheels ....
Wish I had one around here..

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
good luck with that...stand alone retail has been closing up, and the trend is accelerating

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like sportsman's warehouse! I like it better than Cabela's or the defunct Gander Mountain. Also prefer it to Bass Pro shops.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve bought a lot of stuff from them, no complaints.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I really liked the one we had here, but IMHO they put it in a poor location, it closed with a lot of others some years ago.

Then they put a Cabelas in across the highway, guess how that is turning out.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
In my area decent sporting goods stores are few and far between.
When a SW opened up I was skeptical it was going to be another Dicks type of affair. I was pleasantly surprised by the inventory..very well stocked with high quality goods. In fact had a few NF on clearance I’ve been eyeballing

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I like ours. Their prices are higher than some stores, but better than Cabelas etc. They have decent gear and some of their sales are pretty good. They also price match any other prices and beat them by 5% if they are advertised, I think even online? They do not carry used guns, which is a disappointment to me because that is one of my favorite things.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 33 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.