Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
As the title says - looking for input on gloves for mid to late season use in rain & snow. Spent a week in Idaho last fall when it snowed or rained most of the week. Gloves I had were less than satisfactory.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Wool fingerless gloves, wool gloves, wool trigger finger mittens, wool glomitts. Helps if they have something like a deerskin palm patch to give better grip on rifle.

If you want to spend a lot, the Buffalo Wool Company will sell you versions made with buffalo hair/fur/wool (whatever it is that bison wear). thebuffalowoolco.com

Other stuff can work when it's dry or dry/cold, but throw in wet and wool still rules.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Simms Pro-Dry if it's really wet. Otherwise if you just need to shed a little, there are a bunch of soft-shell gloves that stop the wind and will shed a little moisture.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Polyester liner glove.

Then shells of various weights/waterproofness depending on what you need for warmth and wetness.

If you don't know what else to do, then just a good thick fleece glove sprayed with durable water repellent and deal with whatever comes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the Dachstein boiled wool mittens and was turned on to them by a couple mountain guides. These I get oversize and wear finger-less gloves underneath, my current pair are alpaca and feel great. Over these go leather chopper mitts with a 100 grams of insulation. I wax these and soak with obenaufs and they are good for at least a day of rain after which I alternate in another pair.

Good gloves are really expensive. I would check the surplus outlets for extreme cold weather gloves and mitts. You can pick up some goretex thinsulate numbers for $20 bucks sometimes as opposed to ski or motor cycle gloves that can run as high as $150.

Last edited by Tejano; 10/02/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like various Sitka or Kuiu gloves.

Over top I will wear Arctic Shield Mittens.

https://www.arcticshieldoutdoor.com/products/mens/accessories/system-gloves-realtree-ap-x526700--800--xxx--12?returnurl=%2fproducts%2fmens%2faccessories%2f

I find that either through sweat or moisture, any of these gloves have to be dried each night.

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the suggestion of wool gloves. I had a pair of wool gloves with the fold-over mitten end many years ago. Only the tip of the right finger was exposed. They were great in snow and/or cold weather. I'm going to look for something like that. Hard to find these days it seems.

I brought 4 pair of gloves with me to Idaho last year. Two of them were Gore-Tex but they soaked through. All 4 of us had issues with boots, gloves or rain gear on that trip.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bill_N
I like the suggestion of wool gloves. I had a pair of wool gloves with the fold-over mitten end many years ago. Only the tip of the right finger was exposed. They were great in snow and/or cold weather. I'm going to look for something like that. Hard to find these days it seems.

I brought 4 pair of gloves with me to Idaho last year. Two of them were Gore-Tex but they soaked through. All 4 of us had issues with boots, gloves or rain gear on that trip.

What sort of shelter are you staying in (Camper, tent, hotel, etc?) and how do you go about drying wet clothes each eve?

Hard for Gore-Tex to "breathe" your exertion/sweat out when it's totally soaked from the outside already so you end up sweating it wet from the inside IMO/IME. Boots, gloves, coats, pants, doesn't matter.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For the worst case of wet the syntetics still perform the best, although I like blends of the synthetic with merino wool in them. Wool and silk liners also work but not as efficiently as things like capalene from Pattagonia. The Dachstein boiled wool sheds water at first and are still warm when wet. But the shell usually prevents this. With a synthetic wicking liner you can wring out the wool and your hands will feel almost dry, almost.

In addition to the military gloves check out the mountaineering suppliers as they have put in a lot of research and field testing on their products.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
We were in a wall tent with wood stove last year. We ran some cord under the ridge pole to hang stuff off, We have a cabin with stove this year.

The Dachstein gloves look nice but wish these had some grip features.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had a pair of gloves that would keep my hands warm, in Arkansas. Can't imaging where it is real cold. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bill_N
We were in a wall tent with wood stove last year. We ran some cord under the ridge pole to hang stuff off, We have a cabin with stove this year.

The Dachstein gloves look nice but wish these had some grip features.

If the cabin you're staying in has electricity, I'd be bringing along a few fans to move the warm/drying air around. Boot dryers w/glove dryer capabilities are also quite handy if you have electricity or get one of the propane powered units and haul enough canisters to run it.

Putting clothes on that are still damp and clammy from the previous day really sucks donkey balls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Excellent! Best looking mitts, ever! Tell us about these.

I pack white cotton/blend glove liners, BD Polartec Windstoppers, BD Punishers and OR ALTI Gore-Tex mittens w/ inner mittens.

BD Pilot gloves as shooting gloves.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (1lesfox, 44mc, 219DW, 007FJ, 35, 10 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.