Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Hubert
I left there in 1970.. I was in a HQ for a while ( I can't tell you which one) but I could plainely see we were winning the war and if we had stayed about 6 more months from the time we pulled out it would of been a different story.. I was really shocked when they decided to pull out. I couldent believe it....I wanted to go back and kick some more azz...

Why can you not tell which headquarters?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Oh hell, FreeMe, the Vietnam War was like a woman on a deserted island: It may have been ugly, but it was the only one we had.

grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
smile smile smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't the B-52 carpet bombing what brought the NVA to the negotiating table? Nixon quit bombing too soon, correct?

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/what-it-was-blast-vietnam-b-52-16382

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great article.

And many THANKS to all those that went to Vietnam, beat the enemy and then got screwed over by the damned politicians and left wing cowards protesting at home.

You guys were and shall always remain America's BEST.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 03/15/19.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T LEE
smile smile smile smile smile

Good to see you Brother. Stick around for a while please Sir.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have been reading a lot of books lately on the Vietnam War, and just finished a book about Hue. Just about every "expert" of that time period warned against getting involved there. Yet, our politicians felt as if they had to stand up to communism, so Democrat and Republican alike were in favor of it.

Maybe we could have won, but certainly not the way we went about it. History shows us that all we did was waste a lot of American lives, fighting what turned out to be nothing but a delaying action. No need to rehash it, as it is what it is. A couple of my high school classmates were killed over there, and I've always thought that they gave their lives for absolutely nothing.

As per my cousin Gene who was there, we were winning. Right up until LBJ said we could not go north of the DMZ. 4 years later we were winning again with Linebacker II until we stopped again. The ultimate defeat was abandoning the South in 1975. We were always winning the war in Viet Nam. We were not winning the war with the leftists and the idiots at home. I watched the fall of Viet Nam from an Army missile base in Alaska and we all felt the same way, we had it won and we let it slip away. It was a low time for us. We all thought America hated us. We didn't know why. We stuck it out in Europe in WWII and look at Germany and Japan now. Allies. Strong Allies. If they look like us we will stay. If they don't look like us we will leave them hanging in the wind. Shame on us.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've pretty much laid out my thoughts in a previous thread and won't beat it to a pulp here. Most folks take their vision about the war from the time frame of the LBJ years forward and that's about when it started getting messy. Truth is it began quite a few years prior and some very fundamental components and decisions are overlooked. Truman and the French occupation is a good place to start. I'm thinking we had a very positive influence on how things turned out and as example, take a look at the image below and realize how all those swimming holes contributed to the joy of little kids playing in the mud, or even practicing for the Olympics!

It probably isn't obvious, but today the area encompassed in the picture is a thriving metropolis. Weren't for us they would not have had a clean slate to start with.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Semper Fi

Mike
Hue 1968

"My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 0311 1967.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The biggest loss from that war was convincing most of a whole generation of young people, including me, who had previously trusted and honored our government, that our government was a bunch of incompetent cynical liars and our traditions were not worth a bucket of warm spit. Later I realized the liar was LBJ, not America. But many didn't, and now that they are older, they are the Left who seeks to tear down America. That is LBJ's legacy.

LBJ, McNamara, and Taylor lied. They were like someone caught in the tar baby, a tar baby they had themselves made, and could think of nothing but to throw more of our youth at the tar baby while pulling their own punches. The youth rebelled and most of them were not long-haired hippies either.

Nothing but honor and reverence should be given to those who fought there. If you haven't visited the Viet Nam Memorial, do so. It is a holy and sacred place.

And read "A Bright Shining Lie" by LTC John Paul Vance.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was just getting out in fall of 64 when things were heating up.

My brother did three tours as a Corpsman with the Marines and he always said they were being sent to Vietnam to fight the Communists but they should have been sent to California and DC.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I know of none who were taught to look at our Nam service men in shame.

I was in college at the time and friends and relatives paid a price and some, the full price in Nam.

Me and my friends looked at the antiwar activists as anti American communist sympathizers and we knew, and our parents knew, our servicemen were hung out to serve, suffer and die without the full support of our govt.

People wanted to support out govt, and they didnt want their boys to go and pay the price their neighbors sons paid.

America wanted to forget that war because America was ashamed of itself.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
All of '71 for me. And also damn proud of it.

As I said back then, I was unsure if I understood even the tiniest lower left-hand corner of the big picture, but I knew beyond doubt that I was doing my country's bidding in an honorable cause.

I have claimed for the past couple of decades that we did in fact win that war. Full-fledged Communism lasted for less than 10 years in Vietnam before even the most entrenched leaders recognized that their system wouldn't work, but the glimpse of capitalism we gave them would. They gave in and began to allow private entrepreneurship until today, Vietnam has a thriving economy and a hotbed of global business. Look around and note well how many things you own say "Made in Vietnam." Those three words spell victory, my fellow warriors.

And if I could, I'd throw poop at those who did the same to me when I stepped off my Freedom Bird. Because it was they who were the disgrace.

Those are the same people who keep gavin newsome and nasty Pelosi in power and are destroying California today. They had no scruples in 1971 and they have no scruples today.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you for your service.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the 400 years Vietnam has fought off the Chinese they didn't quit and they didn't lose. Why kill people like that?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It was a complicated time. Our leaders made huge mistakes and lied to us. Read Hasting's, "Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy, 1945-1975". I think one of the best movies about how poorly we treated our returning soldiers was "Born on the Fourth of July".

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I dated a Vietnamese woman for a little over a year. Sweet thing. We're still friends.

Their family was from SVN, middle-class shop owners. After the North invaded and took over post-1974, the family lost everything except what the father converted to gold and hid. He used that money to pay smugglers to take her and her oldest brother to a boat to escape. She was 14 at the time. One other brother was supposed to go but he couldn't be found when the smugglers gave the word and they had to go immediately.

She spent 40 days on a 40-foot boat with 80 other people. Storms, high seas, all of it. They landed in Malaysia where she spent 2 years in a refugee camp before she was given the chance to go to Canada. She won't talk about those days...

She came to Canada and found work, eventually moving her family here. Her older brother went to the US, became a computer programmer working for the US Gov't. He quit that at age 51 and went back to school to become an MD, his true calling.

Rest of the family settled here in Canada and found jobs, made homes, made lives. Her mother died in VN, but her father is still alive. He hates two things - Chinese and communists, because they were both what took away his life in VN.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wonder how different the world would be had we stayed and finished the job. We were betrayed. Vietnam was betrayed. I find it difficult to comprehend the scope of the waste...all the young fellows who gave it their best and sacrificed ALL. They WERE America's best beyond the shadow of a doubt.

OTOH, I question whether it is wise---or even possible---to give another culture freedom. It seems to be something that will slip away from and elude those who are unwilling to get it for themselves. More recent events in the middle east tend to support that hypothesis.

I could be wrong, though. Could it be that these other cultures won't embrace the fight for liberty because they [perhaps justifiably] perceive that we will abandon them? Maybe they've been conditioned to see that as inevitable...and maybe we've been conditioned to he behave that way.

I could be wrong about all that, but I do think about it.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RiverRider

OTOH, I question whether it is wise---or even possible---to give another culture freedom. It seems to be something that will slip away from and elude those who are unwilling to get it for themselves. More recent events in the middle east tend to support that hypothesis.

I'm not even sure our culture can handle freedom! It's been given to us by our forebears but we are seeing it being slowly taken away. There dang sure seems to be a large number of Americans who are willing to become slaves to the federal government.

God bless all of you who served, wherever and whenever.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt. We're damn sure going to lose it if we're not willing to fight to keep it...but maybe "restore it" would be a better choice of words.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,969
Posts18,519,631
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.