Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winchester 70/ wrote:

"...Fact: The New Haven USA Model 70 trigger is the finest hunting trigger ever made. Other than that, nobody has said anything about Portugal guns being lower quality. I will personally never know as long as they have their current trigger.".

The BACO is a fine trigger. Never had an issue with the multiple rifles I own/use.

Just what is the fault of the new trigger people write about? Design issue? What issue? Quality issue? What flaw?

The only thing I have read, which objective, is that some would like a lighter trigger pull, and the BACO trigger "only" goes down to 3.5#. There is a simple, low-cost solution, by getting a spring set from Earnie the gunsmith.

So, what is the flaw of the BACO trigger, besides, " I just don't like it.". Facts , and actual reports of issues only please.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
“Model 70: The Rifleman’s Rifle” (From where they still know how to make them right.)
As the Fed Ex plane lifts off and “Oh beautiful for spacious skies” plays softly in the background.

Winchester sees this, and I’m thinking my phone is going to get even more annoying.I should have went into marketing instead.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by buttstock
Winchester 70/ wrote:

"...Fact: The New Haven USA Model 70 trigger is the finest hunting trigger ever made. Other than that, nobody has said anything about Portugal guns being lower quality. I will personally never know as long as they have their current trigger.".

The BACO is a fine trigger. Never had an issue with the multiple rifles I own/use.

Just what is the fault of the new trigger people write about? Design issue? What issue? Quality issue? What flaw?

The only thing I have read, which objective, is that some would like a lighter trigger pull, and the BACO trigger "only" goes down to 3.5#. There is a simple, low-cost solution, by getting a spring set from Earnie the gunsmith.

So, what is the flaw of the BACO trigger, besides, " I just don't like it.". Facts , and actual reports of issues only please.

It may snow....

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any reports of the BACO trigger failing from use in snow? Have you experienced it? Has anyone?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Someone must have sometime, someplace and somewhere. Or 'It could happen", and if it does you can't fix it with your trusty toothpick. Perhaps a bic, but they come out of China. Very unpatriotic...

(Looking around I see ads popping up for Meopta, Zeiss, Athelon, etc. How this place stays open is a miracle.)

Opps, there is one for toenail fungus....WTH

Last edited by battue; 10/05/19.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by battue
Someone must have sometime, someplace and somewhere. Or 'It could happen", and if it does you can't fix it with your trusty toothpick. Perhaps a bic, but they come out of China. Very unpatriotic.H

So, the truthful answer is, "No. No reports of failure with the BACO trigger."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Patience....

In the beginning a couple did go bang when they weren’t supposed to. Perhaps another example of the Carolina boys not being up to speed on assembly.

The Model 70 after all always was a Yankee original.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Nothing more than the old Ford/Toyota thing.

Last edited by WTF; 10/05/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When BACO moved M70 production to SC and introduced the MOA trigger I threw up a little in my mouth. I understood the move to SC from an economic POV, but the MOA trigger was purely a lawyer's move. Regardless, I eventually owned two different SC made BACO M70's with MOA trigger's. The trigger is a crappy design for an enclosed trigger (it's made to be lawyer proof), being nothing on par with the excellent Kimber trigger. Regardless, with an Ernie's Spring Kit I got both triggers to the 2.75 lb range. I'd call them "ok." However, when an American Icon moves production offshore I'm out. I'll never, and I do mean never, own a Portuguese Assembled M70. I can't fathom having "Assembled In Portugal" stamped on an M70 barrel on an elk mountain in the Rocky Mountain West.

The final straw was snapped, and I have a line which BACO crossed.

And BTW, I have nothing against Portugal. I've been there, a lovely country with fine people (and Porto!). Portugal is the South Carolina or Alabama of Europe given a quality workforce and lower wages. Leica makes their rangefinders there, and I've had a couple marked as such. But Leica is a European Co, Winchester is not!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WTF
Nothing more than the old Ford/Toyota thing.

No it's not.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had pre-64s, South Carolina Model 70s, and Portuguese assembled Model 70s. None have given me any trouble beyond accuracy issues due to my own handloading snafus.

The new trigger is fine when the return spring is replaced, and I've had NO issue whatsoever with any of them. They may be more susceptible to failure in tougher conditions, but I would not know because I have not had the opportunity to hunt in places and at times that would really test it.

The objections to the guns not made in New Haven is 100% based on emotion. I understand it, and I would love to see production moved back to the States...but I personally don't care who made the rifles as long as they're done right. And they are, IMO.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The objections to the guns not made in New Haven is 100% based on emotion

That's right... as are many important things in life! laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why is it that if a Winchester has a trigger people don't like the gun is junk, but the first thing people have been doing for decades with a Remington is replace the trigger?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by RiverRider
The objections to the guns not made in New Haven is 100% based on emotion

That's right... as are many important things in life! laugh

Just depends on how you see things. Different strokes and all that. I'm happy to make my own choices and let others make theirs.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whether you like them or not ( I do, but understand the position of those who do not), it appears to me that their time has passed. The large gun shops that I walk through may have 1 or two FWTs, compared to many rows of synthetic stocked rifles, black rifles and budget rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no idea how they shoot, but I would have no problem considering Classic Hunter .30-06 with ERA-Recknagel running game sights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
Whether you like them or not ( I do, but understand the position of those who do not), it appears to me that their time has passed. The large gun shops that I walk through may have 1 or two FWTs, compared to many rows of synthetic stocked rifles, black rifles and budget rifles.

If I believed I'd live another 25 years, I'd make a bet with you. The M70 still be made--at least some iteration will be. It's not going anywhere

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope you’re right. But I ain’t gonna last long enough to find out. 😊

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Why is it that if a Winchester has a trigger people don't like the gun is junk, but the first thing people have been doing for decades with a Remington is replace the trigger?

Its not that the MOA is a bad trigger. It was something that didnt need to be messed with. Browning took it upon themselves to fu ck with a time proven design. By time proven, i dont mean antiquated either. The original design is very robust and easily adjusted and field proven. The moa just wasnt needed. Whats really laughable are the guys reading these posts and deciding they need to change out a MOA for a $120.00 timney, as that is a complete lateral movement. Not an upgrade at all, but a waste of money. All the MOA trigger needs is a simple spring upgrade, sold by erniethegunsmith.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Its not that the MOA is a bad trigger. It was something that didnt need to be messed with. Browning took it upon themselves to fu ck with a time proven design. By time proven, i dont mean antiquated either. The original design is very robust and easily adjusted and field proven. The moa just wasnt needed. Whats really laughable are the guys reading these posts and deciding they need to change out a MOA for a $120.00 timney, as that is a complete lateral movement. Not an upgrade at all, but a waste of money. All the MOA trigger needs is a simple spring upgrade, sold by erniethegunsmith.

I have done it both ways. The replacement Timeny and the MOA trigger with the spring replaced in it came out about the same. Both are light
and crisp. The spring cost was very noticeable less than the Timney.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.