Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Cop could have stopped the attacked, without killing the suspect, by shooting him below the waist. As mentioned above, suspect had to climb a steep embankment and his legs would have been easy target. But, then you have all the problems already mentioned, ward of the state, maybe kills someone else later. Suspect wanted to die. He got what he wanted.

Ummm....

NO.

You are either justified in using deadly force, or you aren't.

Which laws allow for "purposeful wounding" of a suspect?

That goes against everything that has been taught about self defense for the last 60 years or more.

Ol' Roy Rogers used to get by with it, but that's a fabrication of some movie directors imagination.

It don't work that way in the real world.

Rock, I'm not trying to say the cop was not justified in killing this man, by shooting him multiple times center mass, then wondering why he wouldn't drop the knife when he was lying face down, on his arms and hands, cold dead. The cop was totally justified. The only point I am making is, if he had wanted to spare this man's life, he could have, without putting his own life in danger.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I knew what you were saying, OO.

But getting sued personally and your department getting sued along with you, for crippling a guy, precluded that a long time ago.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Cop could have stopped the attacked, without killing the suspect, by shooting him below the waist. As mentioned above, suspect had to climb a steep embankment and his legs would have been easy target. But, then you have all the problems already mentioned, ward of the state, maybe kills someone else later. Suspect wanted to die. He got what he wanted.

Ummm....

NO.

That goes against everything that has been taught about self defense for the last 60 years or more.

Ol' Roy Rogers used to get by with it, but that's a fabrication of some movie directors imagination.

Rock, I'm not trying to say the cop was not justified in killing this man, by shooting him multiple times center mass, then wondering why he wouldn't drop the knife when he was lying face down, on his arms and hands, cold dead. The cop was totally justified. The only point I am making is, if he had wanted to spare this man's life, he could have, without putting his own life in danger.

Bullschidt! You don't know what you are talking about.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Ummm....

NO.

Bullschidt! You don't know what you are talking about.

mike r

This...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
That's one big reason why I wouldn't want to be a cop.

Too many people these days are using cops to commit suicide.

If somebody wants to commit suicide, it's their own business, I guess. But don't put it on somebody else to have to deal with.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It was a good shoot with much restraint used. A couple of points.
1. Police ARE NOT trained to shoot to wound. They are trained to stop the life threatening action by the perp whether its directed towards the LEO or someone else. If the person dies because of that action or not, that is how they are trained.
2. We don't know if the officer had a Tazer. LEO's are NOT trained to use such a device in an impending deadly force encounter. They do not always work.
3. The repeated commands to "drop the knife" when some said the perp was dead is a BIG mistake. You cannot assume the perp is dead or unconscious. It is best to have another officer arrive and help assess the medical condition.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perfect shoot.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Police officer was 110% justified. He gave the man every chance in the world, multiple times. To expect the officer to further risk his own safety is completely unreasonable.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by White_Bear
"Show me your hands!"
Ummm…. you kilt him.

Bad day for the cop.

The copper is alive and in the right...he did everything he could to avoid that.

My take on it anyway.

I would agree. He did an exemplary job.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ummm....

NO.

He could have, and we’d pay for the medical, the welfare, and who knows what else after. Until he did it again.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guy could have been high and not aware of what he was doing or intentionally trying to get killed. Either way the cop didn't have a lot of choice at that time.

Deadly force is just that. You either use it or you don't. There is no wingin them, except on TV.

It's a pretty wide angle camera. I imagine he was a bit closer than it looks.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Cop was right. About everything he did. Hope he understands that well enough that it does not haunt him.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I'm also with the LEO in this case......

we all have our own opinions.....the perp had a death wish......

Maybe too for the LEO....linky......

article in the local news......

http://etvnews.com/body-camera-footage-in-duckworth-shooting-released/

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
It was a good shoot with much restraint used. A couple of points.
1. Police ARE NOT trained to shoot to wound. They are trained to stop the life threatening action by the perp whether its directed towards the LEO or someone else. If the person dies because of that action or not, that is how they are trained.
2. We don't know if the officer had a Tazer. LEO's are NOT trained to use such a device in an impending deadly force encounter. They do not always work.
3. The repeated commands to "drop the knife" when some said the perp was dead is a BIG mistake. You cannot assume the perp is dead or unconscious. It is best to have another officer arrive and help assess the medical condition.

^^^ What he said is spot on.

Shooting to stop the threat is how cops are trained. And that training was developed because other cops died trying to use lesser tactics. Shooting to wound a suspect would be foolish (and against policy) as the suspect could be amped up on drugs, mentally ill, etc. and then continue closing the distance with the cop while the cop is busy trying to aim a shot just to wound the suspect. Shooting a guy below the waist means you've now made him even madder; It doesn't mean the suspect can't continue charging and he still has a knife he can throw at you (or possibly pull out another weapon, maybe a gun).

In normal training, if there's only one officer in a deadly force situation like this, the cop has a firearm out, not a Tazer. If a 2nd officer arrives, that officer can use the non-lethal Tazer while the first officer still has his firearm out. Until the suspect is handcuffed (dead, alive or unconscious) and restrained from attempting further assault, there is a potential threat to honor as the suspect was trying to attack the cop and still has a knife and possibly more weapons in his possession.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Cop was right. About everything he did. Hope he understands that well enough that it does not haunt him.

I truly hope the LWO can move on after a period of time with his career. For quite a few though, they go downhill. A version of PTSD, alcohol abuse, marital problems and other baggage can occur. Thankfully many departments are aware of this and support the LEO with much counseling. It doesn't hurt either if you are a church member and are willing to talk to your pastor, minister, rabbi or priest.

While the shoot appeared 100% justified - that doesn't mean the LEO is "out of the woods".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m impressed by whoever trained that Cop. They say under stress you revert to your training and that Cop’s conduct was impeccable.

I believe the knife was a Mora, ain’t too many knives and sheaths in that bright an orange. I forget the name of the model, It’s a heavier $50 outdoor version, I have one just like it.

I got to confess though what I really wanted to do watching that video was to grab a pair of binoculars and go work along that brush line and that water feature, looks like a fascinating time of year up there.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,900
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.