Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by nighthawk
The Vatican is the world's greatest and oldest bureaucracy, and people are surprised that there is some level of corruption there?

Nobody’s surprised sir. Nobody.

Always amazed, never surprised...

DF

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Quak

As much as you’d like to you can’t re-write the history of the church Jesus created nor the evils he experienced and warned us of

You can cling desperately to the notion that the Roman Catholic Church is the one created by Jesus Christ until the cows come home, but it just ain't so.

So what church did He create, Calvinist?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LovesLevers
It would be a far better world if the Catholic Church would simply disappear into the cess pool of history they have created. How anyone can support this church in this day and age is mind blowing. It is nothing but a haven for child molesters and illegals.
Flipping channels there was a preacher that would send you miracle spring water which if you used it God would solve all your financial problems. Another would send you a bottle of oil, use it and God would solve your problems whatever they are. Another said send him "seed money" of $40 a month for a year (credit cards accepted) and he' send you a booklet and CD saying God would return your seed money many times over.

Which would prefer?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As much as you’d like to you can’t re-write the history of the church Jesus created nor the evils he experienced and warned us of

You can cling desperately to the notion that the Roman Catholic Church is the one created by Jesus Christ until the cows come home, but it just ain't so.

So what church did He create, Calvinist?

He created something brand new...a totally different way of approaching life. Within the context of a brand new covenant that says "Your sin is paid for, now live a life that reflects the love and forgiveness of God as you mirror that in your love and forgiveness of the people around you." A personal relationship with your Creator. No need for ANY mediators.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker

This is the truth. That BS papist say about tracing back their lineage to the Jesus Christ and the apostle Peter is a bunch of BS.
So are the gawdy outfits, accumulation of wealth and power, popes, worshipping idols by praying to Mary etc.

I love that worshiping idols canard - wholly made up by enemies of the church. Yeah, we pray to Mary (we don't need no steenkin' statue) for her intercession with Jesus. It all goes through Jesus. Sorta help get the message through. The Bible, old testament and new, says to pray to those in heaven for help, some denominations with an agenda like to not talk about that.

Mary was just a person, a very special person, but neither her nor her statue is worshiped. Neither is anyone else except God.

Last edited by nighthawk; 10/06/19.

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Disagree til time ends. Your choice, but it has no bearing on fact.

It's difficult to escape brainwashing.

Oh, hey...while we're at it, know where I can buy an indulgence? I did something really bad and I need the pope's letter of introduction.

*snork*

Again...acts of the devil in Gods Holy Church are not surprising in the least. It’s exactly what I would do if I were satan

The church Christ speaks of are those who worship Him by submitting to His instruction as provided in His letter to us called the Holy Bible, not the catechism.

And no, Moslems cant go to Heaven because the havethe faith of Abraham. Yes, you must have faith, but not in what you think, in what He said.
Jesus came to bring the good news to all, not just to the few who believe as you.

Its evident, quaks preach quakery.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/06/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So all the stuff about upon this rock I'll build my church and supporting scripture are just meaningless words to be ignored, or tortured to the point of incredulity to mean something else? With those interpreting having a vested interest, actually raison detre, for interpreting it that way?

Jesus made it quite clear that He was the messiah of all people, not just descendants of some ancient tribe. Those that hear the word (implies full understanding) are compelled to follow. Everyone else just f--- them? My god is of infinite mercy.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So all the stuff about upon this rock I'll build my church and supporting scripture are just meaningless words to be ignored, or tortured to the point of incredulity to mean something else? With those interpreting having a vested interest, actually raison detre, for interpreting it that way?

Jesus made it quite clear that He was the messiah of all people, not just descendants of some ancient tribe. Those that hear the word (implies full understanding) are compelled to follow. Everyone else just f--- them? My god is of infinite mercy.

Protestants believe that ‘the rock’ that Jesus was referring to was *the statement* that Peter made...it was NOT Peter himself.
Agree that this New Covenant ‘is’ between God and all of the people in all of the world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, serious question, when Jesus said to Simon thou art Peter (meaning rock) what was He saying.

Wiki says:
"Protestant arguments against the Catholic interpretation are largely based on the difference between the Greek words translated "Rock" in the Matthean passage. They often claim that in classical Attic Greek petros (masculine) generally meant "pebble", while petra (feminine) meant "boulder" or "cliff", and accordingly, taking Peter's name to mean "pebble," they argue that the "rock" in question cannot have been Peter, but something else, either Jesus himself, or the faith in Jesus that Peter had just professed.[164][165] These popular-level writings are disputed in similar popular-level Catholic writings.[166]

The New Testament was written in Koiné Greek, not Attic Greek, and some authorities say no significant difference existed between the meanings of petros and petra. "

To me seems a pretty strained interpretation, like they decided on a conclusion and strained for a justification.

Petros - masculie
Petra -feminine
Which one for Simon? Sounds like they had gender identity problems way back when Matthew was written - Nothing new under the Sun? (Ecclesiastes 1:9) smile

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, serious question, when Jesus said to Simon thou art Peter (meaning rock) what was He saying?

Could’ve been something as simple as, by this profound proclamation of his faith (‘the rock’), Peter was worthy of a new name.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or it could been something as, "Hey Simon all you apostles keep coming to me for help. I won't be around much longer and I wan you to take my place in keeping the word straight." Seems reasonable.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or it could been something as, "Hey Simon all you apostles keep coming to me for help. I won't be around much longer and I want you to take my place in keeping the word straight." Seems reasonable.

It doesn’t seem reasonable at all, when...5 verses later...Jesus refers to Peter himself as “Satan”.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More than a little ironic that your .sig quotes the Archbishop of Philly. smile

“Evil preaches tolerance until it is dominant, then it tries to silence good.”

― Charles J. Chaput

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, serious question, when Jesus said to Simon thou art Peter (meaning rock) what was He saying.

The "boulder vs pebble" thing is another line of BS made up by Protestants. Jesus called Peter the Aramaic "Cephas" and Paul did too. And of course, pile on the Greek Masculine vs effeminate gender too. Of course, even if Jesus did call Peter a Greek name, it wouldn't have been in the feminine gender.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dipping into the church coffers for personal gain is a Catholic tradition going back well over a thousand years. In the old days, they would just say it was God’s will, and kill anyone that brought it up.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, we pray to Mary ... The Bible, old testament and new, says to pray to those in heaven for help..,

Mary is in heaven?....you base such belief on post WW-II dogma (1950) put in place by Pope Pius XII.

What can Mary do to help you that Jesus ,the Holy Spirit and Father cannot?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Yeah, we pray to Mary ... The Bible, old testament and new, says to pray to those in heaven for help..,

What can Mary do to help you that Jesus, the Holy Spirit and Father cannot?

Profound.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe the Catholics here can point to scripture that supports Mary already having ascended to heaven.

As far as mortals needing help from above;

1 Timothy 2:5 (KJV)
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"

but the weird and wacky way in which catholics venerate skulls and shrivelled corpses,
adopting a dogmatic tale of Marys assumption doesn't surprise.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Or it could been something as, "Hey Simon all you apostles keep coming to me for help. I won't be around much longer and I want you to take my place in keeping the word straight." Seems reasonable.

It doesn’t seem reasonable at all, when...5 verses later...Jesus refers to Peter himself as “Satan”.

Aw crap, not that prime piece of misinterpretation again. Consult any good bible commentary.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why didn't all those characters in the old testament go to heaven? Original sin, they had to wait for the Messiah to redeem them. Could Mary have served as the mother of God if she was stained by original sin? No. Why she is called Immaculate Mary. And that qualifies her to be assumed into heaven. That's the gist of it, look up the details if you want.

Pray to Jesus, pray to Mary for her intercession with Jesus. Pray to all the angels and saints. Your prayers are heard by Jesus as the mediator however they get there. A lot of people relate better to the saints. Plain people like themselves that have overcome troubles and lived exemplary lives.

Which explains a lot.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 1,803 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,070
Posts18,521,648
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.