Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nope

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joken2

Tried cooking whitetail deer ribs a couple of times but gave up as never could remove of enough of the fat to get rid of the bitter aftertaste.
Seemed to me too that much like paraffin does, deer tallow starts to cool and solidify quicker than other animal fat.

Around my area, the real hard-core muzzleloader people swear by deer tallow as the best ball lube.

"Ya get yaseff some beeswax and some deer taller and ya melt it on the stove in an ammunimum [sic] pie pan, and then ya set yer balls in it until it gets all hard."

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by papalondog
I killed a nice buck opening day and he is loaded with fat. Mule deer but my question is, does anyone cook venison ribs of any venison? We always peel the meat off and grind it into hamburger. Fellow hunter told me a guy fixed antelope ribs and they were fantastic. I have some cooking now. Dry rubbed them and let them set overnight. An hour of smoking on the Traeger. Now in the Dutch Oven with lots of liquid for a few hours. Might end up going out for pizza but it's worth a try. Any ideas or recipes?

Deer are a little on the lean side in these parts.....you can about see through the ribs. Like you I always trimmed what little I could get off the rib cage and put it in the burger pile.

Anyway, let us know your ribs turned out!

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Used ta crock pot em with barbecue sauce in a land and a time long ago and far away.

Antlers are where it is at now.

Cici,s pizza buffet and mcdonalds double cheeseburgers with extra pickles and no mustard are waaaaaaay better.....

LOL!!!

No pickles add mayo is how I eat them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
There are some tricks involved in cooking game ribs, and deer ribs in particular. Many people try to cook them exactly like pork or beef ribs, which from the many posts on this thread is obviously a mistake.

My wife experimented with wild big game ribs considerably when writing SLICE OF THE WILD, her cookbook on big game from field care to table. There's more than one successful deer rib recipe in the book (available from www.riflesandrecipes.com) but the biggie for deer ribs is normally to get rid of as much fat as possible. Parboiling works very well, which also helps tenderize the meat itself.

As a general observation, a lot of big game cooking fails because hunters treat wild game like domestic meat--which is more of a standardized, almost factory-produced product. Big game meat varies considerably not just from species to species, but there's also an obvious difference between a young doe and an old buck, especially across the entire hunting season from early fall through the rut. Field care, butchering and recipes that take that into account tend to be far more successful than treating all meat the same.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Ribs turned out fantastic. Enough liquid in the Dutch Oven I think was the trick. 1/2 can of frozen consentrated apple juice, can of IPA beer, salt, pepper, splash of soy sauce, worstershire, garlic, and some other stuff. After the Traeger they were in the oven at 350 for 2 hours and then lowered to 300 for two more hours. We turned the oven off and did not open it while we went to town and had a beer. Returned to an excellent meal. The rib bones pulled out of the meat with ease. The fat had cooked down quite a bit and was easily separated from the meat. Will do it again. And it wasn't a young buck!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dad and grandpa used to cut bone in deer chops that were excellent. Can't hardly get anyone to use their bandsaw for it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I don't eat ribs of any kind. Too much fat, too much bone and not enough meat to make it worth the effort. I don't like beef fat, and venison fat just about makes me puke. So I trim away all the fat that I can.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have tried deer ribs,just not enough meat on them to really enjoy them .your better off going to Wally world and buying some pork or beef ribs.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ok guys,here is my rib recipe
Found a really good way to cook deer ribs.I seasoned them,then browned both sides with a little olive oil ,a few pieces at a time.Then I stacked the ribs in my cast iron dutch oven and put them in the oven at 375 degrees with the lid off for about an hour until all the pieces looked nice and brown.Then I sliced some onion and put it on top the meat and continued cooking for another half hour until the onion looked like it was starting to look slightly done.Then I added a cup or so of water and put the lid on and continued cooking.Checked occasionally and add a little water as needed.Cooked them about 4hrs.They were moist and fall off the bone tender.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 75 invisible), 3,519 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,634
Posts18,533,297
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.