Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by antlers
Or it could been something as, "Hey Simon all you apostles keep coming to me for help. I won't be around much longer and I want you to take my place in keeping the word straight." Seems reasonable.

It doesn’t seem reasonable at all, when...5 verses later...Jesus refers to Peter himself as “Satan”.

Aw crap, not that prime piece of misinterpretation again. Consult any good bible commentary.

“Misinterpretation”...? Are you saying that Jesus wasn’t rebuking Peter for not setting his mind on the things of God...His ways and His plans and His purposes...? Peter’s mind was set on the things of man, the things of the world and it’s earthly values. It does NOT seem “reasonable” at all that Jesus put him in charge of anything, and then moments later spoke to him harshly because he had turned from God’s perspective and viewed the situation from man’s perspective.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure it was a rebuke, and a harsh one at that. Like get your head out of your ass, you know better than that. Not you have revealed yourself to be a worshiper of the evil one.

So did Jesus leave no one in charge, you apostles go your separate ways and teach whatever you want to? Seems like 36,000 denominations would have it that way.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So, serious question, when Jesus said to Simon thou art Peter (meaning rock) what was He saying.

Wiki says:
"Protestant arguments against the Catholic interpretation are largely based on the difference between the Greek words translated "Rock" in the Matthean passage. They often claim that in classical Attic Greek petros (masculine) generally meant "pebble", while petra (feminine) meant "boulder" or "cliff", and accordingly, taking Peter's name to mean "pebble," they argue that the "rock" in question cannot have been Peter, but something else, either Jesus himself, or the faith in Jesus that Peter had just professed.[164][165] These popular-level writings are disputed in similar popular-level Catholic writings.[166]

The New Testament was written in Koiné Greek, not Attic Greek, and some authorities say no significant difference existed between the meanings of petros and petra. "

To me seems a pretty strained interpretation, like they decided on a conclusion and strained for a justification.

Petros - masculie
Petra -feminine
Which one for Simon? Sounds like they had gender identity problems way back when Matthew was written - Nothing new under the Sun? (Ecclesiastes 1:9) smile

Hmmm...was Jesus speaking Greek when he said this?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could Mary have served as the mother of God if she was stained by original sin? No.
Why she is called Immaculate Mary. And that qualifies her to be assumed into heaven.

How did Mary as a mere mortal avoid inheriting Adams original sin?

Why would a person without original sin need a personal saviour?

only sinners need a saviour, and any dead sinners are awaiting judgement like the rest.

Luke 1:47
“My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior”

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RiverRider, Maybe the Russians have the e mail, think Trump would ask?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Could Mary have served as the mother of God if she was stained by original sin? No.
Why she is called Immaculate Mary. And that qualifies her to be assumed into heaven.

How did Mary as a mere mortal avoid inheriting Adams original sin?

Why would a person without original sin need a personal saviour?

sinners need a saviour, and if you need such , you are awaiting judgement like the rest.

Luke 1:47
“My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior”

She avoided original sin by the will of God. Exactly how is unknown. One theory involves God not being constrained by time, a favorite conundrum here. Similarly the status of Mary had she refused, and it was her choice whether or not to accept God's will, is unknowable.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure it was a rebuke, and a harsh one at that. Like get your head out of your ass, you know better than that. Not you have revealed yourself to be a worshiper of the evil one.

So Jesus made Peter the head of the Christian Church and then told him to get his head out of his ass...?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

She avoided original sin by the will of God. Exactly how is unknown..

clearly it escapes you that Mary acknowledged she had a personal saviour,,
and there is no need for such lest one be a sinner....thus Mary awaits judgement like the rest.

your arcane catholic dogma spin stories are absurd.

, pray to Mary for her intercession with Jesus....

again , what can Mary do for you that Jesus , Holy Spirit and the Father cannot, through your prayers?

ie; why would that Trio need Mary to intercede?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So did Jesus leave no one in charge, you apostles go your separate ways and teach whatever you want to?

He left no one person in charge. And He told His disciples to spread *His teachings* to all the nations of the world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Corruption at the Vatican? I'm shocked...shocked I tell ya.....next you'll be telling me there's turmoil in the middle east.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like 36,000 denominations would have it that way.

So what...? Who gives a flip how many different denominations there are...? Despite the insignificant theological differences between them, there are a few central tenets that all Christians typically hold together...regardless of their particular church or denomination or culture or geographical location. Christians typically believe in God (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), and they typically believe that all humans are sinful and in need of grace, and that only Jesus makes it possible for people to have a relationship with God through His death and resurrection. Christians also typically believe that the Bible reveals who God is, how they can have a relationship with Him, and how they can extend God’s love to other people. Other beliefs and practices are often the cause of disagreements...and they are secondary.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
clearly it escapes you that Mary acknowledged she had a personal saviour,,
and there is no need for such lest one be a sinner....thus Mary awaits judgement like the rest.

your arcane catholic dogma spin stories are absurd.

Now you're just making stuff up, talk about spin.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So did Jesus leave no one in charge, you apostles go your separate ways and teach whatever you want to?

He left no one person in charge. And He told His disciples to spread *His teachings* to all the nations of the world.

So did they vote on exactly what his teachings were, they weren't all with him at the same time, or go with gut instinct?

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who gives a flip how many different denominations there are...? Despite the insignificant theological differences between them,

Whoa Nellie! there are some crucial theological differences. Or does close enough for government work apply?

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So did they vote on exactly what his teachings were, they weren't all with him at the same time, or go with gut instinct?

No. Jesus didn’t tell them to “vote on exactly what His teachings were.” And NONE of the Catholic Pope’s throughout all of history were ‘ever’ with Him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who gives a flip how many different denominations there are...? Despite the insignificant theological differences between them,

Whoa Nellie! there are some crucial theological differences. Or does close enough for government work apply?

There are essential beliefs (such as those that I mentioned earlier), and there are non-essential beliefs. Individuals do have liberty in non-essential beliefs. Believers do have the personal freedom to have varying interpretations on theological issues that are not clearly presented in Scripture.
“Accept the one whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters… Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master servants stand or fall… So then each of us will give an account of ourselves to God… So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.” - Romans 14:1, 4, 12, 22

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Or it could been something as, "Hey Simon all you apostles keep coming to me for help. I won't be around much longer and I wan you to take my place in keeping the word straight." Seems reasonable.

I don't think you can argue that Peter was in a leadership position in the fledgling church, certainly until the conversion of the Apostle Paul. After that, Paul led an outreach to the Gentiles and Peter to the Jews, seemingly upon mutual agreement. However, what I don't get is where the concept of succession came from other than the tradition of man, likely post Constantine. Jesus said nothing about it even if we are to assume that Peter himself was the "rock", or the defacto leader at the time.

Speaking of Paul, he busted Pope Peter's chops pretty good about being a hypocrite as far as the Gospel was concerned. If it was understood at the time that Peter had something resembling absolute Papist authority directly from Jesus would Paul have done that? Further, if you read Paul he makes it clear that he saw himself in no way inferior to any other apostle. Evidently, Paul didn't get the memo.

As far as the seven sons of Sceva, the demon said he knew Paul and the book of Acts records Paul casting out demons. Did Paul receive authority over the spirit world from Peter? Paul would tell you that he did not even receive the Gospel from "any man" but by revelation and his immediate response was to not consult with any man or to go to Jerusalem to see any of the others. After 3 years he went to stay with Peter for 15 days. If Peter was in fact the top dog, should not Paul have gone to him to receive permission, a blessing, some kind of bona fides from the beginning?

Building a doctrine around one verse or even one chapter of scripture is often a dangerous thing. I think you guys have done it with Matthew 16:18. Not only a doctrine but an entire political and religious hierarchy. Really no different than what the snake handlers did with Mark 16:18. Just as Catholics with Matthew 16:18, they will argue all day that its in the book and they are right, but fail to apply the whole counsel of the word. When you get right down to it, I think all the denominations do this in what they accept and what they omit from the word.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I respect and love all real Christian denominations...however I do believe M16:18...and I wasn’t raised Catholic. When I came to truly know God I started with the Bible...and history as we know it Including the attempts to discredit the Church. It became clear to me.

I also believe satan is actively trying to discredit and destroy religious institutions. This was foretold

GOD Bless America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you get right down to it, every individual is a denomination unto themselves.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Quak
Satan is real...he’s been trying to topple Gods holy church since Jesus was still alive as a man. This does not surprise me... nor does it dissuade me

God does not have a holy church in Rome. Satan does.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,071
Posts18,521,675
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.