Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'd like to try an illuminated reticle on my next scope purchase. I've only had Leupold experience(Vari X III, VX3, etc.) and would like to stay in this similiar optic range on this new scope as well. The scope would be on 25-06 or 223 sporter style hunting rifles. What would you all recommend?
Thanks in advance for all help.
BBQ

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 with illuminated 4A reticle that camera Land has for $249 Or the Burris FourX 1.5-6x42 for $259.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jsj127
The Burris Fullfield E1 3-9x40 with illuminated 4A reticle that camera Land has for $249 Or the Burris FourX 1.5-6x42 for $259.

This...

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the input. How would these optics compare to Leupold VX-R in your opinions?

Thomas McGuane
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Bull64
Originally Posted by jsj127

This...

I, too, went this route (1.5-6x), and have been quite pleased with it.

I know there are many here who've been quite impressed with the Hawke offerings, as well.

It'd be well worth a call to Doug & his henchpersons, to have them 'splain the differences between the two, and recommend which might suit you best.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have experience with the Hawke 1.5-6x42 Endurance 30. It's my first illuminated reticle too. I love the scope but it's very heavy. The lenses are probably not VX-R quality, but for the woods hunting I'm doing with this scope, it doesn't need to be. Certainly clear enough for me to get the job done without complaint.

A side by side comparison with the Burris would be nice.

Dan

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve got both the 3-9 Burris and the 3-9 VX-R. Aside from the motion on feature of the VX-R, which isn’t as crucial on the 3-9 version as it could be on the 1.25-4 or even 2-7, I’ve found zero difference in clarity, low light, etc between the two. I use both regularly, for the same exact hunting/range purposes, and they both do equally as well, to me. I love VX-Rs for certain hunting uses. The Burris was a ‘why not try one’ purchase. I have zero regrets for that $, thus far. It’s actually taken more game last season than the Leupold. Under all light, from 50-364 yards.....did what it was supposed to do. Not much else to say. Get whichever you think you want the most and want to pay for, but I don’t think you’ll notice any one being clearly ‘better’, just some minor feature diffs and pricing.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Save a little while, get a Trijicon Accupoint.
You will be pleased.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I also have a Trijicon accupoint that I really like for its intended use. However, for a first/last light, stand hunting scope, the tritium is often too bright at magnification, and you can’t cut it off or dim it as much as the pure battery scopes. An accupower might be better for that? It’s why I don’t hunt with accupoints above the LPVs much, except they work good behind the thermal clipons I run right now for night predators....where the colored tritium illum works good against the thermal screen image and is alway on, and in morning/daytime stalking/still hinting use.

Bottom line, both the Burris and VX-R get more use (and are preferred over an accupoint) on my traditional, bolt gun hunting for deer/hogs/predators.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep- just a shame you missed out on the sale on these a while back. Would have saved a hunny. Still- at the price listed they remain a great bargain.

I don't' have a VX-r but do have a VX-3 and as stated above, have yet to find any optical or mechanical advantage of the Leupold.

Same view, brightness, and so-so adjustments.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kenjs1
yep- just a shame you missed out on the sale on these a while back. Would have saved a hunny. Still- at the price listed they remain a great bargain.

I don't' have a VX-r but do have a VX-3 and as stated above, have yet to find any optical or mechanical advantage of the Leupold.

Same view, brightness, and so-so adjustments.

kenjs1,
Which scope are you referring to?

Thomas McGuane
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texas BBQ - what you can't read my mind?

Sorry about that,

I was referring to the Burris FullField II with illuminated dot #4 reticle .

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Keep in mind, that low power variables (of tactical SFP or FFP persuasion) have different illumination requirements than a mid-range variable, hunting scope. The former almost has to have daylight visible illumination, depending on the reticle, AND needs to go dim enough for night. All the latter has to have is enough glow for dusk/dawn, low enough to not hamper low light use. During the good light hours, you never really need it, unless you’re gonna shoot running pigs and such.....then you’re back to the LPVs, anyway....IF illum is what you want for that. A good, thick G1 or G4 is probably as fast AND easy to see, just maybe not as fine/precise for range days. ILLUM can give you both. wink

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 10/10/19.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Interesting discussion & thread - subscribed!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.