-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rolling east out of Yellowstone this past summer it was of considerable concern to me that the nearest tent camping was about thirty miles outside the park. The reason for my concern was that I was on a bicycle and, dependent on terrain thirty miles can be a long way, especially after riding 30 miles over a pass justto reach the park boundary.

There were two campsites along the way outside the park closer to the park boundary, but “hard shell” (ie RV and trailer) camping only due to potential problems with bears.

As it turned out I had nothing to worry about, from the top of Sylvan Pass in Yellowstone it’s downhill or level all the way to Cody (50 miles?), and I had a tailwind that wouldn’t quit. Covered that distance in an afternoon and still had lots of daylight left when I stopped short at Bill Cody Lake, not wanting to pay Cody hotel prices.

Glad I weren’t going the other way, that same stretch could have meant two nights camping alone in griz country.

A nervous thing for a newby like me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It sucks when you're part of the food chain. Watch your back and good luck on your hunt.

Some other members here have told me that it's amazing that an animal of that size can move through the woods and not make a sound.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/07/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Grizzlies seem to like various rodents and will expend energy all out of proportion to the reward to get them. I' ve seen excavations eight feet across and six feet deep where a grizzly has tried to dig out a pika which might weigh a pound. Also, there may be grasses or shrubs which they like and which we wouldn't notice. GD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our Grizzlies don't generally kill Livestock, they eat the deadstock or nearly dead on summer range. However will kill all your chickens and hogs with glee, with rocking ball type damage to the building's involved .
Horses die on the trail and old horses are lead up there and shot .

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You never know what they might be up to. Could be a carcass in the area. Several years ago I came upon a cow that had very recently died. It had been opened up and the meat was still fresh looking. This was out in sagebrush probably 2 miles from the nearest timber. I came back a couple days later from downwind and peaked over a ridge to see a large ornery looking grizzly at the carcass. Put my feet in reverse and quietly put distance between me and the bear. I was hoping to catch a black bear on the carcass but knew there was a good chance I'd find a grizzly there. Glad it didn't wind me and glad I found the carcass when there was no bear on it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
This may seem hard to believe, but a substantial part of the grizzlies diet ( when in the higher terrain) is moths (very high in calories) and White Bark Pine nuts. I still have difficulty envisioning a several hundred pound bear, filling-up on moths! smile memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/07/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Always be on the lookout for birds, they can often tip you off to the location of a carcass...and maybe a bear

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Moths are something I wouldnt have thought would be worth the energy catching. Grubs maybe. Interesting.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have had an infestation of tent caterpillars for years here. The bears love them. Usually momma sends one of the chillins up to break off the branch for the feast. S spray my apples just to prevent that damage.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have seen bears working open scree slopes for cutworm moths. They will flip rocks all day and eat thousands of moths.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From a more selfish reason I am glad many are afraid of these bears and it keeps them in safe confines.
I recently have discovered that camo is an attractant.
Believe it? Maybe it is true, don't risk it.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by memtb
This may seem hard to believe, but a substantial part of the grizzlies diet ( when in the higher terrain) is moths (very high in calories) and White Bark Pine nuts. I still have difficulty envisioning a several hundred pound bear, filling-up on moths! smile memtb

Grizzlies really hit the moths around here!

Last week some friends were coming back from town. When they pasted the PD town at Oregon Basin there was a grizzly out there trying to catch PD's.

For every law that's passed, a little freedom dies!!!!!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where does a Grizzly Bear go? Anywhere he damn well pleases.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 11 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.