GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Tyrone
This is why the Catholic church made having a bible, if not clergy or royalty, a death penalty.
That's about the dumbest thing I've read in a month.

You should have a look at this for some truth - https://www.amazon.com/Where-Bible-Debt-Catholic-Church/dp/0895557967

Some of ou guys are ate up on Jack Chick. :|

Here's some more dumb stuff for you to read:

Decree of the Council of Toulouse (1229 C.E.): “We prohibit also that the laity should be permitted to have the books of the Old or New Testament; but we most strictly forbid their having any translation of these books.”

Ruling of the Council of Tarragona of 1234 C.E.: “No one may possess the books of the Old and New Testaments in the Romance language, and if anyone possesses them he must turn them over to the local bishop within eight days after promulgation of this decree, so that they may be burned...”

Proclamations at the Ecumenical Council of Constance in 1415 C.E.: Oxford professor, and theologian John Wycliffe, was the first (1380 C.E.) to translate the New Testament into English to “...helpeth Christian men to study the Gospel in that tongue in which they know best Christ’s sentence.” For this “heresy” Wycliffe was posthumously condemned by Arundel, the archbishop of Canterbury. By the Council’s decree “Wycliffe’s bones were exhumed and publicly burned and the ashes were thrown into the Swift River.”

They burned Hus alive also a Constance

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
History is not simple. Determining truth is not as simple as believing. Ideas and beliefs develop over time. The people at the time of the writing of genesis had a different set of beliefs than those who came later. Even the usage of word 'Satan' changed over time.

You read what others write when it agrees with your preconceived notion. You and I are the same. We are like parrots. We read what others says and either reject it or accept it based on our world view. I don't agree with what you are quoting. It makes no difference that you are appealing to authority. Your authority is flawed.

That's just an excuse to ignore actual research and objective scholarship. What I read and what I quote is reliable research by people qualified in the field. Some on the other hand prefer biased Christian sources and sites.

It is quite clear that the Satan of the book of Job is not the Satan of Christian theology, never mind earlier beliefs.

Last edited by DBT; 10/05/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The satan/devil of the O.T. and N.T. became connected in the Vulgate,[4th century A.D. translation of Hebrew Bible into Latin]

Isaiah 14 refers to an earthly king as Lucifer,[“bearer of light,”] who falls from heaven.
Jesus confirms such in Luke 10:18: “I watched Satan fall from heaven like a flash of lightning.”

..come the Middle Ages / 5th century, writers began to apply the Vulgate term for Isaiah’s [flesh-blood] Lucifer
to the rebellious angel [spiritual entity] in Book of Revelation.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starman
The satan/devil of the O.T. and N.T. became connected in the Vulgate,[4th century A.D. translation of Hebrew Bible into Latin]

Isaiah 14 refers to an earthly king as Lucifer,[“bearer of light,” ] who falls from heaven.
Jesus in Luke 10:18: “I watched Satan fall from heaven like a flash of lightning.”

..come the Middle Ages / 5th century, writers began to apply the Vulgate term for Isaiah’s Lucifer to the rebellious angel entity
in Book of Revelation.

Yes, indeed.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=DBTThat's just an excuse to ignore actual research and objective scholarship. What I read and what I quote is reliable research by people qualified in the field. Some on the other hand prefer biased Christian sources and sites.

It is quite clear that the Satan of the book of Job is not the Satan of Christian theology, never mind earlier beliefs.[/quote]

Because you believe it is good scholarship does not make it so. Many of the authors are just as biased as you are. Appealing to authority is not working.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman

Because you believe it is good scholarship does not make it so. Many of the authors are just as biased as you are. Appealing to authority is not working.

You are still asserting your own belief. Which is a claim rather than a reasonable, rational argument.

The qualifications of the author of the article are provided in the article.

Last edited by DBT; 10/05/19.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by IZH27
I used to lean heavily in the direction of Calvin. He leaned strongly on Augustine. An argument made against Calvin is that he followed Augustine in applying Neo-Platonic reasoning to the idea of predestination. In doing so he introduced error.

Luther stands in contrast by working hard to accept scriptural tension as they are presented. His argument was that he would not use reason to explain away tensions but let them stand. Calvin tended to apply reason run to conclusions that were a bit questionable. If God is God it may be better to let tensions stand and not try to explain those tensions in a way that satisfies the human mind.

Has anyone tested their free moral agency? :-)

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I used to lean heavily in the direction of Calvin. He leaned strongly on Augustine. An argument made against Calvin is that he followed Augustine in applying Neo-Platonic reasoning to the idea of predestination. In doing so he introduced error.

Luther stands in contrast by working hard to accept scriptural tension as they are presented. His argument was that he would not use reason to explain away tensions but let them stand. Calvin tended to apply reason run to conclusions that were a bit questionable. If God is God it may be better to let tensions stand and not try to explain those tensions in a way that satisfies the human mind.

Has anyone tested their free moral agency? :-)

I’ve been reading more Luther as of late and listening to LCMS pastors and this is tough to argue with.

Bondage of the Will is remarkably similar to Calvin’s thoughts. Many of the erroneous ideas bandied about here & assigned to Calvin came from his “followers”.

At any rate good conversation I think I’m headed in your direction.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Have you been listening to some of the guys at 1517?

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
An excellent movie showing what the catholic church was doing to many Bible believing Christians is "A Lamp in the Dark: The Untold History of the Bible. If you have Rocu and TUBI, you can watch it there free. Or you can go on Amazon and have it sent to you. It's such an excellent movie, and quite long (nearly 3 hours) that I ordered it along with Tares Among the Wheat which is a sequel to A Lamp in the Dark and also Bridge to Bablylon, which is also very good, on Tubi and available through Amazon.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Have you been listening to some of the guys at 1517?

I have not heard of those guys is that a podcast?

I really like “Table Talk Radio” And one of its participants’ YouTube channel Bryan Wolfmueller:

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
About 4 years ago I a friend put me on to the Whitehorse Inn broadcast/podcast. I kept hearing these Lutherans and what they said sounded a bit different but I didn’t have a reference.

In early 2016 I realize that one of the Lutherans, Rod Rosenbladt, along with some other guys from Concordia at Irvine were doing their own podcast, The Thinking Fellows. Their first episodes are a little rough as they work on the audio but it’s a good place to start. They cover the major points in Melancthon’s Loci. Another good one is “Banned Books” where Gerharde Forde’s “On Being a Theologian of the Cross” is covered.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Calvinism as a framework for reflection is good but how about reforming and continuing to reform?

Limited atonement simply is not scriptural.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
An excellent movie showing what the catholic church was doing to many Bible believing Christians is "A Lamp in the Dark: The Untold History of the Bible. If you have Rocu and TUBI, you can watch it there free. Or you can go on Amazon and have it sent to you. It's such an excellent movie, and quite long (nearly 3 hours) that I ordered it along with Tares Among the Wheat which is a sequel to A Lamp in the Dark and also Bridge to Bablylon, which is also very good, on Tubi and available through Amazon.

Thanks for the references.
Dave Hunt, A Woman Rides the Beast.
Well documented.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
One only needs reform until Christ is is actual found at the center of the Gospel. After that reform becomes about self and remembering what was found at the center of the Gospel.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Faith Alone
Grace Alone
Scripture Alone
Priesthood of all Believers.
Christ Alone the one mediator and one head of the Church
One finished and perfect blood atonement, not to be repeated
Grace cannot be earned, bought or bartered.

Here I stand
God help me
Amen

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Those things certainly help us try to wrap our heads around the matter in the here and now. Well. To the degree that we can.
In that day all we will have is Christ.

I’m leery of the sola scriptura when combined with the Priesthood of Believers. It seems that in modern context,’maybe it’s a Merican thing, people lean toward this giving the liberty for personal interpretation. To one degree or another, a personal interpretation of the text. The idea has become a bastard son.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I’m leery of the sola scriptura when combined with the Priesthood of Believers. It seems that in modern context,’maybe it’s a Merican thing, people lean toward this giving the liberty for personal interpretation. To one degree or another, a personal interpretation of the text. The idea has become a bastard son.

Huge +1!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Those things certainly help us try to wrap our heads around the matter in the here and now. Well. To the degree that we can.
In that day all we will have is Christ.

My experience is that serious Protestants are studious, and generally focused on Romans.
I think that is a good thing.
Private interpretation... I get your concern, but they used that directly against Luther Himself.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.