GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Handgaurd cap

Who'd a thunk! Next I'll ask what the barrel nut is called ! Thanks!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I guess with the one pictured there'd be nothing extending out under the sight/gas block like on the SL? Don't know now. Might look for something like NVhntr's suggestion...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Honestly if you want a longer handguard, I would just get rid of the A2 sight and install a longer free float handguard, low profile gas block, and a Magpul front sight to match the rear. A roughly 13" long handguard is a nice size for what you've got; it'll give more room for hand placement and a longer sight radius too.

That's a good opportunity to install an adjustable low profile gas block anyway, and tune your rifle for your ammo.

This is what it looks like when you convert an FN-15 to floating handguard and no A2 front sight.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just run it the way it's set up now--you won't gain anything appreciable over it.

Buy another AR to set up the way you want with a longer free float handguard.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
'Boomer,

Handguard cap, as already noted. I'll just add that there is round and triangular handguard caps. Typically, round is used on the carbine length gas system, and triangular on the mid and rifle. But there are a few exceptions.

If you use an aftermarket handguard like that UTG you posted up, or others that are used in conjunction with the handguard cap, make sure it fits your handguard cap shape. Some fit either cap, some don't.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The reason there is two types of handguard cap is because the triangular cap dates back to the M16/ M16A1 that used the triangular handguards. For the longest time, rifle length handguards were/are designed to fit that cap.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Just run it the way it's set up now--you won't gain anything appreciable over it.

Buy another AR to set up the way you want with a longer free float handguard.

My goal is not longer. Other's have suggested that as an approach to consider. I think it does justify another rifle or two though....

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
'Boomer,

Handguard cap, as already noted. I'll just add that there is round and triangular handguard caps. Typically, round is used on the carbine length gas system, and triangular on the mid and rifle. But there are a few exceptions.

If you use an aftermarket handguard like that UTG you posted up, or others that are used in conjunction with the handguard cap, make sure it fits your handguard cap shape. Some fit either cap, some don't.

Thanks again. I saw references to the triangular thingy, err, hand guard cap. So, having freefloat compatibilty per my barrel nut style and gas block diameter is needed. Or for a two piece, length and cap style.... On another tangent, a longer sight radius would come from an A2 rifle length gas system, or a long freefloat hand guard and rail mounted front sight. Among other options. I'll need more ARs.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks for the pics David.

--- Kid Rock 2022

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Boomer,

The Troy Delta Rail is a true drop in, freefloat handguard that requires zero modifications, is extremely durable, and quite stiff for what it is. It is without doubt the best pitch one can do for a “stock” AR/M4 without modifying it.

Zero chance I would use a non free float, and some mentioned above are weak junk.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Troy unit definitely looks stout. Been looking at it since NV mentioned them.

Appreciate it.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Not true. What you gain with a free float handguard is consistent POI regardless of sling or rest pressure/tension on the forend. People use them for good reason, and it's not just for looks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Not true. What you gain with a free float handguard is consistent POI regardless of sling or rest pressure/tension on the forend. People use them for good reason, and it's not just for looks.

Leaning that way. Just a short, stout, narrow, aluminum, freefloat, retaining the A2. Or, who knows.

Appreciate all the help and suggestions, learned a few things too boot! I know it's old hat to ya'll, that's why I asked. wink

--- Kid Rock 2022

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Form,

Thoughts on the Centurion c4 carbine cutout rail? Solid as the Troy?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

What I was really thinking is that if he is going to only run open sights as are shown in his picture, the advantages of a free float are going to be unlikely to emerge in any meaningful way. He needs another AR setup with mid/rifle gas, no sight block, longer free float tube, scope, and nicer trigger to really stack the advantages.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

What I was really thinking is that if he is going to only run open sights as are shown in his picture, the advantages of a free float are going to be unlikely to emerge in any meaningful way. He needs another AR setup with mid/rifle gas, no sight block, longer free float tube, scope, and nicer trigger to really stack the advantages.

LOL That's an awful lot of assumptions. The carbine wears a 1-4 scope, the Magpul flippy sight is long gone, no complaints on the FN trigger.... Might consider just open sights on this. It's not an accuracy rig, you are right there. Cheers now and always.

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Laugh now while you can...

For an iron sighted chrome lined carbine, or even a red dot, I haven't seen enough difference but I get the idea. I do have a DD Omega rail for a carbine that I might try a before and after test with. I just honestly don't know if I can get the SL's off without breaking something. They were a pain to install.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's all in good fun, for now. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.