Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Always keep the eye on the ball, or prize. I this case, the Cross.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why so many different interpretations of verses and numerous contradictory beliefs in Christianty and other religions?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by DBT
Why so many different interpretations of verses and numerous contradictory beliefs in Christianty and other religions?

I can’t answer for other religions but assume it to be the same as in Christianity. People feeling special like they have personal knowledge that’s special to them. They find a “new thing” and it’s off to the races.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Always keep the eye on the ball, or prize. I this case, the Cross.

True. It sounds so easy. But we sure can mess it up.

Originally Posted by Robert_White

My experience is that serious Protestants are studious, and generally focused on Romans.
I think that is a good thing.
Private interpretation... I get your concern, but they used that directly against Luther Himself.

Fortunately Luther didn’t actually do that or pass on that concept/practice. He soon found that the masses, even the converted priests, now pastors, didn’t understand scripture. They went about remedying this with the small and large catechism and other aids. The idea that the “priesthood” were of the same here with no Mavericks running wild.

Romans’ is good and necessary if understood correctly. Seeing Christ in all of the Old Testament is vital also. I’ve see. Too many instances where reformed circles are too focused on doctrine and Biblical knowledge, Christ getting lost in the middle of it all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you a Calvinist? Believe some things are preordained?

Predestination is quite clear throughout the Bible. The whole Bible is full of people who were called of God to do His will starting with Adam, Moses, David, Mary, Jesus, The 12, Paul and on and on. Lazarus' example is one of my favourites. He was dead, bound, rotting in the grave with had no control whatsoever over his own situation until the Lord called [CALLED] him out to live again. This sounds much like our situation before God calls us.

Psalm 95:7 (KJV) For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,

I've never seen a sheep yet determine it's own path.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I'm about a 50/50 split between Calvin & Arminian.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I'm about a 50/50 split between Calvin & Arminian.

Did you choose that path or was it thrust upon you? smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I chose. Actually it was confirmed once I began an institute of higher learning. I had no idea, prior to that, who Calvin or Arminius even were. Once I heard their tenets I then decided that I was "a little bit Country & a little bit Rock & Roll."

I did not feel as though I was compromising my station in any manner by adopting a mix of their points. Given the way I was raised I refuse to allow any muse to be thrust upon me.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's just really difficult imagining a human saving themselves through actions, works, faith or beliefs.

but maybe in some combination it's quite possible.

or just let god do it, since it's his job?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Gus
it's just really difficult imagining a human saving themselves through actions, works, faith or beliefs.

but maybe in some combination it's quite possible.

or just let god do it, since it's his job?

And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by muffin
If Unconditional election and Irresistible Grace are true, then WHY do Calvinists evangelize? If you can't choose or reject, then whats the point?

Just asking

“How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “ LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:14-17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/114/rom.10.14-17.nkjv shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “ LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
https://www.bible.com/114/rom.10.14-17.nkjv

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jahrs
If Unconditional election and Irresistible Grace are true, then WHY do Calvinists evangelize? If you can't choose or reject, then whats the point?

Just asking

“How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “ LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
https://www.bible.com/114/rom.10.14-17.nkjv shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “ LORD, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
https://www.bible.com/114/rom.10.14-17.nkjv

So will those chosen to be unconditionally selected NOT be selected if they are never preached to, or hear about the Gospel?????

They have either been selected or they haven't! Why go through the effort if you can't change the outcome of anyone, selected or not????

If evangelism is required, then their selection is NOT unconditional!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've read through the thread with great interest, as this is one subject (election/predestination) that somewhat baffles me. First of all, if it's in the Bible, I believe it, as I believe the book is the word of God, period. I also believe that the Bible does not contradict itself, and when it appears that way we just do not entirely understand what we're reading/interpreting.

My lovely bride of 34 years grew up in a very, VERY disfunctional family. She was the first to ever even graduate from high school, much less college, which she also did. Never grew up in church, went to church, or had any family members that took her there. Yet, she became a fine Christian lady, against all odds, as if God plucked her from a terrible environment and helped change her future family tree. Awesome lady. I also do not believe that God, knowing his character, would create people doomed for hell. As someone pointed out earlier, there are many verses that state God wants everyone/all to go to heaven. I believe that too. It's admittedly a somewhat confusing subject.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
]

So will those chosen to be unconditionally selected NOT be selected if they are never preached to, or hear about the Gospel?????

They have either been selected or they haven't! Why go through the effort if you can't change the outcome of anyone, selected or not????

If evangelism is required, then their selection is NOT unconditional!

Because neither you or I know who will accept the word, or reject it, so you deliver the message to any and everyone. It's God's responsibility to touch their heart, it's man's free will to accept it, or ultimately reject it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wonder if the early first century followers of Jesus were exposed to this line of thinking (predestination) during the 15 or 20 years or more after Jesus’ death, and before the first Christian text that became part of the New Testament was even written...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good question.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The way we think determines the decisions we make. How we think is determined by our brain architecture/genetics interacting with our environment. Which in practice means that some folk are satisfied believing what it says in this or that holy book, while others are not. Some question beliefs and claims while others find comfort in their faith. Which has absolutely nothing to do with 'free will'

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by antlers
Wonder if the early first century followers of Jesus were exposed to this line of thinking (predestination) during the 15 or 20 years or more after Jesus’ death, and before the first Christian text that became part of the New Testament was even written...?

Why were they warned about 'falling away' if it were not possible!?!?!?!?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
It is a pleasure to discuss spiritual matters with fine gentlemen, thank you all. One of the good parts of this forum.

Off to bed, see you in the morning, and May God bless us all.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bible contradicts itself. You can find verses that support numerous interpretations. Denominations, sects, cults......

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (222ND, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,480
Posts18,529,651
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.