Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14189695 10/09/19
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So my dad has decided he's old enough that smoking the occasional cigar can do nothing to harm him, and has really gotten into this. We are talking once or twice a week, he has a good cigar. I find this as a huge benefit because he is one of those people you cannot find a gift for but cigars are easy.

Size wise he prefers the Churchill's what are some good choices so I can get him a few sticks that are good quality cigars.

Now for the weird part, he and my wife, have a very close bond and my wife really enjoys smoking with him. (Wife lost her father very young and needed a father figure, and my dad and sister don't speak, sister married a liberal, they both fill a void for each other)

So I need a few that are aromatic and sweet as this tend to be the preferred choice.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Romeo y Julietta
Partagas

Start there and see if he likes.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arturo Fuente
Partagas
Punch

Lot of good cigars out there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff !

I'm not a cigar smoker, cigarettes only, & find your attitude refreshing, given your Dad's circumstances !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
“Sweet” is a bit subjective. Sweet as in Swisher Sweet or just in the sweeter end of premium cigars?

If the latter, for non-Cubans it is hard to go wrong with anything from Padron. Their construction is great and their taste profile is pretty middle of the road but always good. They make pretty much all sizes and you can spend anywhere from $5/stick for their base line up to $50 for their Anniversary series.

Arturo Fuente is similar in that it is hard to wrong with anything from them.

If you want sweet as in swisher take a look at the Acid line. They make high quality flavored stuff.

If you are inclined to look for Cubans, Montecristo #2 are reliable. H Upmann Coronas are awesome. The best Cuban stuff tends to run smaller than Churchill size though.

I’m not a big cigar smoker but my father is, so I have smoked many when hanging out with him.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything made by A.J. Fernandez, Drew Estates, most of the Dominican makers, Oliva and Alec Bradley. The classic bands are always a good bet too, depending on individual tastes.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sand-billy mentioned Punch that one has been a favorite. And I saw a Romeo Y Julietta band but he really likes the punch and so did my wife. My mother didn't even complain about the smell of that one.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Second the Romeo and Juliette, Punch, Fuentes, Partagas and Monte Cristo.

They're harder to find (at least here, YMMV) but if you happen across some Filipino cigars, he'd probably enjoy them. Here's a good list:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/ancx/culture/spotlight/02/03/19/a-taste-of-philippine-cigars

I'm like your dad, only I started 30 years ago. I enjoy 1 cigar a week through the summer, a few extra if I'm fishing or at moose or deer camp, then none through the winter. It's a treat, not a habit. Nothing better than relaxing on a hot summer evening with a good cigar and an ice-cold gin and tonic. Life is too short to smoke cheap cigars.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Partagas Black Label are my absolute favorite and my most regular. However, they would not fulfill your "aromatic and sweet" as they are not sweet; but, they are my favorite, hands down. And I've smoked a number of Cubans (no, I didn't shoot people from Havana).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Baccarat is on the sweet side.

Last edited by Mike_S; 10/09/19.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like everything else in life, it depends on what you want to spend. A great VALUE are the Arturo Fuentes Curly Head Maduros. A pricey smoke are the Hemingways by the same maker, but the possibilities are only limited by your wallet. I'd look at the Cigar Aficionado website for a start.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hatari nailed it. I would also recommend Drew Estate Kuba Kuba. Kind of the snickers bar of cigars. My personal fave of any would be Ashton. High quality. Not cheap. And I have a grandgirl named that. 😜

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Might try a mild Montecristo White 7x52.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Sand-billy mentioned Punch that one has been a favorite. And I saw a Romeo Y Julietta band but he really likes the punch and so did my wife. My mother didn't even complain about the smell of that one.

Try Arturo Fuente and your wife may like the Acid’s.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Many great suggestions. Try J R Tobacco on line for really good prices. Enjoy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Grape Owls

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Grape Owls

Lol.

You might like the Acid’s too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I've smoked "a few" wink cigars in my time, and I have eight humidors full right now. If your people enjoyed Punch then I wouldn't put sweet in the description of their preferred flavor profile. The original Punch is a solid, straightforward cigar. There are Punch variations, some milder and creamier like the Gran Cru series and others somewhat spicier like the Signature series.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Size wise he prefers the Churchill's what are some good choices so I can get him a few sticks that are good quality cigars.

What people tend to call Churchills these days run a bit larger than the classic size by that name. I prefer the classic size of 7" by 47 ring gauge. Is that what you mean?

In the regular Punch line the close one is called a double corona and will be 6 3/4" x 48 ring. Same for the regular Hoyo de Monterrey line, one of which would be different, but not too different from the Punch your people like.

Caveat: The size name "double corona" is more often used for cigars somewhat larger than classic Churchills, with double coronas generally packing a heavier ring gauge like 52 or 54.

Last edited by mathman; 10/09/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Eiroa Peseta.

Honduran puro, as good or better than anything coming out of Cuba.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,848
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.