Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I thought you had learned how it is done here by the insecure and cluelessand got off your hot chamber high horse...

Fixed it for you....

But for those needing visual stimulation... (pardon me whilst I load my chamber in the middle of this charge)

This what Phil had to say back in November of '18. I guess he is insecure about having someone behind him with a hot chamber, but hardly clueless

Originally Posted by 458Win
I guess the counter argument is that you are completely free to carry a round in your chamber and I am completely free to not hunt with you. And if you are required to hunt with a guide then you have a choice to make.

After forty years of guiding and a lifetime of hunting and being around people with loaded guns I have seen numerous accidental deaths caused by men carrying loaded weapons, have a bullet scar in the back of my thigh from an "unloaded" rifle and had numerous unintended discharges that narrowly missed either me or someone close by.

I will willingly face a charging bear rather than walk in front of a nervous hunter carrying a loaded rifle!

So let me get this straight, you want me to be in the bush hunting dangerous game with a cold chamber in the hopes that:
A guide/PH whom I scarcely know will get between me and a possible dangerous animal with a cold chamber in the hopes he will stop it? Fine, rest assured I will not be hunting dangerous game with ANY guide or Professional Hunter that does not allow me the right to defend my own ass...

So you would not hunt with Phil... interesting...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I thought you had learned how it is done here by the insecure and cluelessand got off your hot chamber high horse...

Fixed it for you....

But for those needing visual stimulation... (pardon me whilst I load my chamber in the middle of this charge)

This what Phil had to say back in November of '18. I guess he is insecure about having someone behind him with a hot chamber, but hardly clueless

Originally Posted by 458Win
I guess the counter argument is that you are completely free to carry a round in your chamber and I am completely free to not hunt with you. And if you are required to hunt with a guide then you have a choice to make.

After forty years of guiding and a lifetime of hunting and being around people with loaded guns I have seen numerous accidental deaths caused by men carrying loaded weapons, have a bullet scar in the back of my thigh from an "unloaded" rifle and had numerous unintended discharges that narrowly missed either me or someone close by.

I will willingly face a charging bear rather than walk in front of a nervous hunter carrying a loaded rifle!

So let me get this straight, you want me to be in the bush hunting dangerous game with a cold chamber in the hopes that:
A guide/PH whom I scarcely know will get between me and a possible dangerous animal with a cold chamber in the hopes he will stop it? Fine, rest assured I will not be hunting dangerous game with ANY guide or Professional Hunter that does not allow me the right to defend my own ass...

Let me go find something from that earlier thread, after we had these comments...

jorgeI
Campfire Oracle

Orange Park, Florida
Originally Posted by yukon254
Sitka says Alaskan guides dont allow it,

A guide friend of mine has hunted Africa 5 times now and neither he or his PH walked around with a hot rifle unless they were on game.

1. So Sitka is the mouthpiece for ALL Alaskan Guides? Tell you what, in a bout two months after I return from the DSC convention, I'll have an honest answer for you. I'll make a point of asking a few Guides I know. Fair enough?
2. As far as Africa, I'll have to throw the BS flag on that one. I know there are quite a bit of members here who've hunted there and maybe they can chime in. Only been twice myself and for dangerous game (buffalo) but regardless, EVERY time we left the truck and got on a track we were hot chamber.

A box of bullets says you do not find an Alaskan brown bear guide that makes a regular habit of allowing clients to carry hot.

Fair enough... Oh yeah, tits IS my first language...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Fact #2: Your odds of being injured by a bear while carrying a firearm are the same as if you’re carrying no defense at all.

I know someone who will say that fact is a bunch of feel good horse schit.

Bear in mind, that's not me saying saying that, it's the Fish and game people who are more invested in bears than they are people. I have never believed that.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another quote from Phil on that same thread...

Only a fool goes into a situation where he reasonably expects to have to shoot with an unloaded gun,
but it is also foolish to carry a loaded gun in rough, uneven terrain all day and needlessly put someone else in danger !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Fact #2: Your odds of being injured by a bear while carrying a firearm are the same as if you’re carrying no defense at all.

I know someone who will say that fact is a bunch of feel good horse schit.

Bear in mind, that's not me saying saying that, it's the Fish and game people who are more invested in bears than they are people. I have never believed that.

I knew that Bud.

Fish and game really doesn't give a schit about people, always been that way ya just gotta know how to work around them.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ever tried to aim one of those stupid spray cans? That right there is an idiotic and ineffective setup.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
They expect me to unwaveringly trust my life on hairspray technology yet they (the rangers) pack pistols.

Always entertaining watching people with no experience in combat or training in combat tactics giving advice (in an official capacity, no less) on just that.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Only a fool goes into a situation where he reasonably expects to have to shoot with an unloaded gun,
but it is also foolish to carry a loaded gun in rough, uneven terrain all day and needlessly put someone else in danger !

Perspectives differ as do the ability and experience of various humans. If you were a guide you probably would feel more comfortable if the unknown entity behind you w/ his brand new 300 Win. mag that he waves around like an orchestra conductor had an empty chamber until told otherwise. Groups of trained troops in combat zones are expected to have a hot chamber and their weapon on safe until positive target ID is confirmed.

When I am in bear country, alone or with my wife I carry hot, as I do at home or at the store.

If I was hunting w/ Phil I would be OK w/ his standards and would drive him crazy w/ questions, to not take advantage of a learning experience would be foolish. When I was teaching no one entered the classroom w/ live ammo and their firearms were individually inspected by me to assure compliance. If they didn't approve they were free to exit. Standards exist for a reason.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
animal of peace

[Linked Image from cimg3.ibsrv.net]

Last edited by persiandog; 10/09/19.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Life long alaskan who has hunted in bear country entire career. I carry bear spray at times to deture curious bears and a rifle 5o protect myself. Rifle can kill a bear but any loud sound is largely ineffective...shoot for cns

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I guess I’ll throw my .02c in on the hot cold issue. I tend to hike and traverse rough terrain like rockslides and avalanche scree with a cold chamber. I usually have longer sight ranges and surprising a bear isn’t likely but when I go into the willows and alders I have a hot chamber. I will walk point if that makes the guide feel better since the only reason I even have a guide is because it’s REQUIRED. I won’t enter the thick stuff without being ready to defend myself. I don’t, or at least damn sure wouldn’t, sign my right to protecting my ass from a rapid attack to any guide. If a guide is that scared of firearms and their practical use in the field then it’s time to retire to fishing as the fallback.

I’ve never had a misfire or AD and I’ve been around firearms and in the industry for decades. There’s a lot of bubbas out there but I ain’t one of them nor will I be treated as such.......not even for a last minute cancellation emergency filling spot that only costs me $20,000. 😉

Perhaps the lure of money precludes a more thorough screening process. Or maybe it’s because for that kind of money you’re more likely to only attract bubbas that need to be babysat instead of riflemen and real hunters.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I guess I’ll throw my .02c in on the hot cold issue. I tend to hike and traverse rough terrain like rockslides and avalanche scree with a cold chamber. I usually have longer sight ranges and surprising a bear isn’t likely but when I go into the willows and alders I have a hot chamber. I will walk point if that makes the guide feel better since the only reason I even have a guide is because it’s REQUIRED. I won’t enter the thick stuff without being ready to defend myself. I don’t, or at least damn sure wouldn’t, sign my right to protecting my ass from a rapid attack to any guide. If a guide is that scared of firearms and their practical use in the field then it’s time to retire to fishing as the fallback.

I’ve never had a misfire or AD and I’ve been around firearms and in the industry for decades. There’s a lot of bubbas out there but I ain’t one of them nor will I be treated as such.......not even for a last minute cancellation emergency filling spot that only costs me $20,000. 😉

Perhaps the lure of money precludes a more thorough screening process. Or maybe it’s because for that kind of money you’re more likely to only attract bubbas that need to be babysat instead of riflemen and real hunters.

IME, that attitude is almost always coupled with those with the least muzzle control...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

IME, that attitude is almost always coupled with those with the least muzzle control...

What attitude?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

What attitude?

Everything after the first three sentences...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

THe first sentence is about game set and match....As to the second, Your posts CLEARLY dealt in absolutes. As to the other convoluted post from the past, frankly, I forgot all about it (did you spend much time on the search engine? I would have thought a "big shot" guide like you would be too busy), but I have and did ask Professional Hunters and especially in Africa, the gun comes off the truck unloaded, it's loaded and on safe when the hunt begins. As to "guides" stateside, it was a mix. I will also add when I hunted elk, we were told the cold chamber nonsense practice during the safety brief, but the minute I was alone with my guide I told him I would respect that, but the second we saw game and began the approach, I was loading the rifle and on safe. He had no issues with that. When I hunt alone, the gun is always loaded..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to not hunting with Phil, this probably works for me:

What this means to me is if we are walking a long way in open terrain that is rough or mountainous, I obviously have no problem with it, but once we spot and stalk, especially in thick stuff, you bet your ass I'm going hot chamber. Moreover, in Africa aside from what I've already said, if you are not loaded up when going after any dangerous game (not dealing in absolutes here, for example, my PH John Sharp made me climb a tree once when we were chasing buffalo and in that instance the gun was unloaded whilst I climbed, just to show you nothing is absolute) you're a dunce, so if the cap fits... I guess this means I won't be hunting with you...

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/10/19.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry cold in open country before game is spotted. I tend to have one inthe chamber, safety on while actively stalking after sighting. In DG country, I carry with one in th chamber, safety on. I base this mostly on African hunting. Not much DG in Georgia during whitetail season. Here, if I'm in a stand, chamber is empty until game is spotted.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As to not hunting with Phil, this probably works for me:

What this means to me is if we are walking a long way in open terrain that is rough or mountainous, I obviously have no problem with it, but once we spot and stalk, especially in thick stuff, you bet your ass I'm going hot chamber. Moreover, in Africa aside from what I've already said, if you are not loaded up when going after any dangerous game (not dealing in absolutes here, for example, my PH John Sharp made me climb a tree once when we were chasing buffalo and in that instance the gun was unloaded whilst I climbed, just to show you nothing is absolute) you're a dunce, so if the cap fits... I guess this means I won't be hunting with you...

I have not guided in a number of years, but you would still be safe. Why the need to be an ass about it?

As to welching on a bet I do not see where I dealt in absolutes, and I did not say NA, but AK. As to Searching, my memory is good enough to allow a single search request to take me where I needed to go. The only absolute is the fact the guided AK hunter will be cold until reasonable to do otherwise. There are gray areas there but the main point remains. The guide calls it when it is time to go hot and that generally means shooting time is very close.

D
D
Honestly, I think that you should have someone have the phone camera at the ready, you have a neighbor run at you growling and snorting and stuff and you spray them starting at 25' , then at 20', 15', etc....then post the video on here. Its not an exact science, but it would be worth a laugh. I would also venture to say after the try at 25' you will need to find a new neighbor to try it at 20. It works.....just don't buy the cheepo little pocket can. Frontiersman....about 50.00

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by daddio56
Honestly, I think that you should have someone have the phone camera at the ready, you have a neighbor run at you growling and snorting and stuff and you spray them starting at 25' , then at 20', 15', etc....then post the video on here. Its not an exact science, but it would be worth a laugh. I would also venture to say after the try at 25' you will need to find a new neighbor to try it at 20. It works.....just don't buy the cheepo little pocket can. Frontiersman....about 50.00

What is your location?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.