Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
He's too embarrassed to ask, but, I have no shame.

Happens to have the same model as I, Silencerco Omega. To keep mud and chit out in the field. Says he's going to drop it? I already 'plained it'd definitely melt....

What say you?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Since you mention"in the field" I am assuming a hunting situation. One or two shots isn't going to get it hot enough to melt. Would be fine to tape it. People run electrical tape on their muzzle when hunting in foul weather often, this is a known thing.

Now if you are going to be doing mag dumps thats a different story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Animals are supposed to see blue really well. The fashion statement this year is Frogg tape because it's green.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How about?

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
As said above - for just a few shots when hunting, no problem.
If you're shooting a bunch of rounds at the range though, heat can be a problem with the tape or the adhesive, unless you/he doesn't care about burned gunk sticking to the can.

I don't bother with anything like that, but can see why a guy might want to. That little spot bandage looks like a good idea.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yah, the concern is not heat as it'll be one shot deal, lol... Doesn't want to wrap around like we do on a plain muzzle do to the vents. I'll tell him to maybe go for it.

Anyone with actual experience doing so? He always insists on first hand evidence...

--- Kid Rock 2022

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a few customers who tape their brakes and report no problems whatsoever. GD

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Tell him to just jamb a golf tee in it. laugh

No. Not really.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Animals are supposed to see blue really well. The fashion statement this year is Frogg tape because it's green.

What if the blue looks tasty and they are hungry.

Last edited by fredIII; 10/10/19.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fred, that is fricken awesome!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tape would not hurt anything as most of the gas is caught in the can. It would be far more risky on the barrel it’s self and that’s never been a problem.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Fred, that is fricken awesome!

Funniest hunt to date. Great guys and antelope everywhere.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So, I will tell him to go for it, I'll stand by with the bandaids....

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’ll “suppress” grin the urge to respond to such a simple question! Of course “blue”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Usually, he'd run a piece of tape over the end of the muzzle then wrap some around it to help secure... But we, I mean he, doesn't want to cover any of the vents on the side.... Not sure it matters much, we, oops, I again mean he, does not want to dic'up the $1000 thingy. Since the end piece is a brake, doubt it would matter to cover a portion of it.... Somewhere is a video of sustained fire, multiple mag dumps, and the whole thing turning red hot. He won't be doing that...

[Linked Image from cdn2.bigcommerce.com]

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Have him buy the non anchor brake end cap for the Omega

Last edited by JBhunter45; 10/11/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A small blue party balloon should work equally well with no adhesive risks. Route me the other colors from the pack and we'll use them for the kid's birthday celebration. Do be sure though to pick up all the colorful litter from the forest floor after he lights off a round.

1Minute
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JBhunter45
Have him buy the non anchor brake end cap for the Omega

That is indeed his plan. Now he tells me! Geeze. . Just cover center hole? Tape the whole SOB? Party balloons with OneMinute? I think I like the balloon idea. Plus it'd be festive and a sure conversation starter.

[Linked Image from silencerco.com]

--- Kid Rock 2022

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wondered the same thing last year when I switched to hunting big game suppressed. I tested taping a barrel muzzle enough at varying ranges in previous years to be satisfied that there was no affect on POI, the hot gasses escaping around the bullet, or the air in the barrel in front of the bullet were blasting the tape off and out of the flight path before the bullet got there.

I'm not so sure that would happen with a suppressor because they are, by design, made to slow and temporarily trap the air and gasses coming out of the barrel. I didn't have time to test last year, so I just put a bit of blue painters tape over the hole (no brake on my can) with a folded over tab sticking out, so that I could snatch it off prior to the shot if I had time. I either took it off, or it fell off before all my shots on game last year. I'm going to be at the range tomorrow, I guess I probably ought to add a quick test to the agenda.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 10/11/19.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 3,324 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,631
Posts18,533,232
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.