Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I have not guided in a number of years, but you would still be safe. Why the need to be an ass about it?

The only absolute is the fact the guided AK hunter will be cold until reasonable to do otherwise. There are gray areas there but the main point remains. The guide calls it when it is time to go hot and that generally means shooting time is very close.

A. Go back to your original post and your "ass" question is answered
B. *I* call it when I decide to go hot, taking the Guide's suggestion of course, but I reserve the right as to when to go hot... Lastly, there WERE guides at DSC who were not absolutely wedded to the cold carry issue. It makes NO SENSE when hunting DG, other than outside the parameters discussed..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I have not guided in a number of years, but you would still be safe. Why the need to be an ass about it?

The only absolute is the fact the guided AK hunter will be cold until reasonable to do otherwise. There are gray areas there but the main point remains. The guide calls it when it is time to go hot and that generally means shooting time is very close.

B. *I* call it when I decide to go hot, taking the Guide's suggestion of course, but I reserve the right as to when to go hot... Lastly, there WERE guides at DSC who were not absolutely wedded to the cold carry issue. It makes NO SENSE when hunting DG, other than outside the parameters discussed..

"Original post" is not very specific.
Name an AK guide that said you could go hot at your discretion alone. Certainly Phil did not say that and none of the guides I know ever say that. Period.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
" I carry a large caliber rifle in my hands, usually with a bullet in the chamber and the safety on." Well that statement in the article should add at least ten pages to the "I carry cold" nonsense crowd...

I thought you had learned how it is done here and got off your hot chamber high horse...

If this is what wadded your thong, YGBFKM.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Name an AK guide that said you could go hot at your discretion alone. Certainly Phil did not say that and none of the guides I know ever say that. Period.

Not a very good attempt at putting words in my mouth, but I guess you needed to salvage your obtuseness. My "B" answer's pretty clear, then again maybe I'm expecting too much.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
With a firearm you have the advantage of the loud noise too. Which may or may not help.

Actually I’ve used bear spray once, in the case of a black bear sow with two cubs. She seemed more curious than aggressive. I pulled the trigger on the spray can to make sure it was going to work and the noise the blast made scared her away.

When I’m in bear country I always carry spray and a big revolver. The one I use first will depend on the situation. I don’t understand why so many people get hung up on arguing about this like it’s a one or the other thing. A can of bear spray weighs as much as a small water bottle. Not a big thing to strap on the belt of a backpack.

IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted in Kodiak Island Alaska three times for brown bear. After you spend enough time around bears, the raw fear goes away and you just get very mindful of them. If a bear has a bead on you and they are very close to you when you discover them around, there isn’t much that is going to save you unless you are with another person that has some type of deterrent. There are a lot of people alive today because the bear decided to leave the person alone. It isn’t natural for brown bears to want to mess with people. They generally prefer a calm relationship too. They are incredible animals. The only time I would get concerned is the sow with cubs scenario.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by McInnis
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
With a firearm you have the advantage of the loud noise too. Which may or may not help.

Actually I’ve used bear spray once, in the case of a black bear sow with two cubs. She seemed more curious than aggressive. I pulled the trigger on the spray can to make sure it was going to work and the noise the blast made scared her away.

When I’m in bear country I always carry spray and a big revolver. The one I use first will depend on the situation. I don’t understand why so many people get hung up on arguing about this like it’s a one or the other thing. A can of bear spray weighs as much as a small water bottle. Not a big thing to strap on the belt of a backpack.

Good post!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Rarely do the winds in Aleutian Hell slow down enough to consider bear spray. Besides, I've obtained great results loading their asses with Remington Nitro Steel. It's not just for ducks anymore. Even if they come back, they become very wary of humans.

Laughing. smile

Pardon the laughing during a serious subject, but, in thinking about this and visualizing it, all I can think of is John
Candy in the Great Outdoors with the bald headed bear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Not a very good attempt at putting words in my mouth, but I guess you needed to salvage your obtuseness. My "B" answer's pretty clear, then again maybe I'm expecting too much.

I cannot prove a negative... but I know ZERO AK guides that would accept your position. I believe it is up to you to name one so I can verify their position.

If you are not wrong it means I lose the bet and bullets. You are only hiding from the fact you lost and have not claimed you won... telling, no?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I do not see that statement conflicted with what I posted: "Name an AK guide that said you could go hot at your discretion alone. Certainly Phil did not say that and none of the guides I know ever say that. Period."

And you pulled the entire US into it where we were clearly discussing AK bear guiding.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I do not see that statement conflicted with what I posted: "Name an AK guide that said you could go hot at your discretion alone. Certainly Phil did not say that and none of the guides I know ever say that. Period."

And you pulled the entire US into it where we were clearly discussing AK bear guiding.

And a charge from a wounded buff.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deltakid
Rarely do the winds in Aleutian Hell slow down enough to consider bear spray. Besides, I've obtained great results loading their asses with Remington Nitro Steel. It's not just for ducks anymore. Even if they come back, they become very wary of humans.

Laughing. smile

Pardon the laughing during a serious subject, but, in thinking about this and visualizing it, all I can think of is John

I'm laughing at his funny statement. You do what you want to do and don't try to tell me what to do. That way we'll get along. Otherwise, GFY. laugh

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yeah, and that was a really relevant argument to authority, no?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yeah, and that was a really relevant argument to authority, no?

I like Jorge ok, but that was a softball/watermelon comparison.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by pete53
Game Warden told me this : make sure if you shoot a bear,that dead bear is pepper sprayed before i get there, so buy a can of bear pepper spray . TO your question > yes it does it helps keep the cost down on court cost,fines and attorney fees.

dumbest thing I've ever heard and totally wrong as to legalities.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don’t know any bears well enough to ask them if it works.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by pete53
Game Warden told me this : make sure if you shoot a bear,that dead bear is pepper sprayed before i get there, so buy a can of bear pepper spray . TO your question > yes it does it helps keep the cost down on court cost,fines and attorney fees.

dumbest thing I've ever heard and totally wrong as to legalities.

We do not have "game wardens" here which opens up a lot more area... but I have heard similar.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I don’t know any bears well enough to ask them if it works.

Maybe you should try to develop a first name relationship with one before asking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deltakid

Laughing. smile

It's entertaining when you dump a load in their ass. They look pretty cartoonish while running from it. We try to get at least 25 to 35 yards distance before we shoot. With our short-barreled 870s, the distance and the inferior ballistics of steel, it spills off enough speed to limit penetration to just under the hide and in the fat. The open chokes allow the patterns to spread quickly. I've shot at 20 yards when I've not had much choice and found the patterns spread enough not to be too concerned, but it's still moving faster than I like. Ones we've had to kill after the steel shot treatment show no penetration past the fat layer and only bruising on the muscle tissue.

One of the guys I use to work with killed a problem dumpster diver that he could hang a tag on. While we were fleshing the hide we found steel shot pellets that were of about three different stages of decomposition. There were the bright, shiney ones of less than a month or so. The dull grey ones of a couple of months and the dark brown/rust colored ones that were dissolving probably about three months. He had a hell of a time getting a shot on him. Every little noise sent him scurrying back into cover.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Steve
Have you folks used the plastic buckshot? I’ve used that on spring moose trying to own my hay shed, threatening me. Sends them right along.

Of course hair/hide differences.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

697 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1badf350, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,723
Posts18,494,711
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.