Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hands down would be the Glock 42. If maximum compactness is required, then go with the Ruger LCP. They are both high quality, reliable, lightweight, and compact. Just one is more compact than the other. The Glock, however, is more of the Goldilocks ideal between compactness and shootability, IMO, i.e., not as compact as the LCP, but a good bit more shootable.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If I was in the market for a pistol the size of a Glock 42 it would be in 9mm.
Once you get into that size of pistol, there's all kinds of 9mm's to choose from.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Always packed a G17 24/7, and picked my attire around it. Have carried it in summer in non-permissive environments without issue.

Dad has a Ruger LCP he likes a lot.

I use a KelTec .32 as a backup(I call it my eye socket gun) and it works well, although I am looking into a small revolver for that role due to likely contact distance use.

Have you considered a different holster? Alien Gear makes good ones that hide stuff like crazy. My buddy packs a S&W 645(full size steel frame) in one and it damn near disappears under his T-shirt. I truly have never seen a reason to carry a less effective system due to a seasonal requirement, a different holster or different clothes, sure, but not a different gun. YMMV.

Same here. For me, it's the Glock 26 all year round, 99% of the time. One percent of the time is divided between the Glock 43 (single stack 9mm) and the S&W Airweight 442 (J- Frame, five shot, .38 Special).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Once you get into that size of pistol, there's all kinds of 9mm's to choose from.

There is no such beast, certainly not anywhere close to the same weight.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The Glock 43 is noticeably larger all around, upon careful inspection, than the Glock 42. Although from a distance, admittedly, they look like the same gun.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Cheyenne

There is no such beast, certainly not anywhere close to the same weight.

SIG P365, Springfield Armory Hellcat.

Bottom line,..a Glock 42 isn't in the same size range as an LCP. They occupy different Categories.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
For a true summer-time swim-trunks pocket-rocket, the only choice is the Ruger LCP not II version.

If you don't really need such an item, then the LCP would never be the first choice.
But if you need it, it is the only choice.

This. As, slim, compact, and light as you can get in a reliable .380. The II is larger, and the new features aren't needed. The trigger is fine (for its purpose) on the last rendition of the standard LCP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a reason Ruger a good and inventive gunmakes pretty much cloned the Kel Tec with the LCP

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Get a Ruger LCP and enough ammo to learn how to shoot it.

They are no fun to shoot, which is it's only drawback, due to tiny size and low weight. My hand vibrates (and keeps vibrating for hours) after just a few mags full from that gun. But it's not meant for fun range trips. Mainly for pulling out and shooting an attacker at close range. Not a whole lot of expertise required, beyond learning the basics of its operation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
For a true summer-time swim-trunks pocket-rocket, the only choice is the Ruger LCP not II version.

If you don't really need such an item, then the LCP would never be the first choice.
But if you need it, it is the only choice.

This. As, slim, compact, and light as you can get in a reliable .380. The II is larger, and the new features aren't needed. The trigger is fine (for its purpose) on the last rendition of the standard LCP.

If one does not want a knockoff there is always the original Kel-Tec P-3AT.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
Meh.......
Bersa .380 combat plus 15+1
Back pocket of a pair of blue jeans and your t shirt over it...
Walther ppk clone.

I found my ppk in my bosch rechargeable drill bag. lol. It wasn't lost-lost like the p-22 when I forgot about it in that shoe for over a year in the trunk.

The bersa, it's living the hard knock life now. Might be in the pathfinder next to an empty RoundUp jug.

😄😄

No it aint
Still in the factory box I bet.
I know you like that pistol!!!

You got more handguns than carter has pills.
LOL!!!!
Im gonna get another for my xmas present.
Khan/ wife dont know it yet.. eek smirk laugh
Might even get it sooner.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

They are no fun to shoot, which is it's only drawback, due to tiny size and low weight. My hand vibrates (and keeps vibrating for hours) after just a few mags full from that gun. But it's not meant for fun range trips. Mainly for pulling out and shooting an attacker at close range. Not a whole lot of expertise required, beyond learning the basics of its operation.

For me, I have to spend range time with a handgun to learn where it hits in a "grab and fire" situation,...especially the micro pistols.

Of course, if you've got time to get a perfect grip on the pistol, position your trigger finger perfectly, acquire perfect sight alignment,...typically one can learn to place shots pretty well.

But I want to know where it hits when I pull it and point it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The Glock 43 is noticeably larger all around, upon careful inspection, than the Glock 42. Although from a distance, admittedly, they look like the same gun.

Prior to buying a 43, I laid a 43 and a 42 side by side, and tried fitting both in my front jeans pocket, then tried putting both in back pocket, then stuck each one in my belt. I decided there was not enough difference between the two as far as what I wanted. Both were too big for a true pocket pistol, and if I was going to wear one on my belt, why get a 380 when the 9mm was only a smidgeon bigger.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

For me, I have to spend range time with a handgun to learn where it hits in a "grab and fire" situation,...especially the micro pistols.

Of course, if you've got time to get a perfect grip on the pistol, position your trigger finger perfectly, acquire perfect sight alignment,...typically one can learn to place shots pretty well.

But I want to know where it hits when I pull it and point it.

Fair point.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Prior to buying a 43, I laid a 43 and a 42 side by side, and tried fitting both in my front jeans pocket, then tried putting both in back pocket, then stuck each one in my belt. I decided there was not enough difference between the two as far as what I wanted. Both were too big for a true pocket pistol, and if I was going to wear one on my belt, why get a 380 when the 9mm was only a smidgeon bigger.

Also a fair point. For the front pants pocket, I would also prefer the LCP to the 42.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kahr. You already know its big brother

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
When I bought the LCP I was choosing between the LCP and the Kel-Tec PF9 (9mm),..and I was leaning towards the PF9 until I placed both of them in my pocket

The PF9 was and is a very compact 9mm. But even the PF9 was too big to be a pocket pistol for me.

Anything larger than an LCP and I'm using a IWB holster,...and if I go to that, it's going to be a 9mm,..or maybe even a compact .45.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'll allow that the LCP could have much better sights without bulking up the pistol too much. The sights on the original LCP are pretty much useless in a high stress situation,....very hard to find. I just sight down the top of slide when I practice with it.

Ruger increased the size of the sights on the later variants of the LCP and the LCP II. But I don't think they're much better.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I guess I've participated in this thread more than typical because I've been giving serious thought to getting a dedicated CCW. I pocket carry the LCP and I bought a Kahr CT9 to be a CCW. The Kahr is a very slim single stack pistol with a long grip. It's a very decent CCW but it seems to me that a long, slim grip is more difficult to conceal than a shorter, slightly fatter grip.

I've been checking out some of the new generation 9mm's and I like the SIG P365 and the Springfield Armory Hellcat. because of their short, relatively slim grips housing double stack magazines. I also like the XDS in .45 even though it's a single stack, 6 shot pistol. I like the grip safety on the XDS because of it's type of action and trigger.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I bought an LCP a few years ago and was impressed with its dependability and my ability to hit with it. I added a Hogue slip on grip and it really changed the ergonomics of the little pistol. The trigger pull is long and it has a long reset. But you can get used to it. In fact, I don't want an exceptionally light, short pull trigger on a DAO pistol that I carry hot.

All of this. Ruger LCP Mk I with the longer trigger pull. Outstanding hitability.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.