-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

A professor at the University of Washington argues in a recently published academic journal article that the children’s show SpongeBob SquarePants is secretly pro-America propaganda that aims to, among other things, whitewash American military violence and spread the “violent and racist expulsion of Indigenous peoples.”

Professor Holly M. Barker of the University of Washington published a bizarre article entitled “Unsettling SpongeBob and the Legacies of Violence on Bikini Bottom” this month which makes the case that SpongeBob and his friends were designed to normalize the taking of land from Native Americans.

The in article, which was highlighted this week by Campus Reform, Barker argues that SpongeBob and his friends erase the “ancestral Bikinian people” from the bottom of Bikini Atoll lagoon.

Billions of people around the globe are well-acquainted with SpongeBob Squarepants and the antics of the title character and his friends on Bikini Bottom. By the same token, there is an absence of public discourse about the whitewashing of violent American military activities through SpongeBob’s occupation and reclaiming of the bottom of Bikini Atoll’s lagoon. SpongeBob Squarepants and his friends play a role in normalizing the settler colonial takings of Indigenous lands while erasing the ancestral Bikinian people from their nonfictional homeland.

Barker also accuses SpongeBob of racism, writing: “SpongeBob’s presence on Bikini Bottom continues the violent and racist expulsion of Indigenous peoples from their lands (and in this case their cosmos) that enables U.S. hegemonic powers to extend their military and colonial interests in the postwar era,”

According to Barker, SpongeBob is not the only piece of mass media that aims to whitewash colonialism and “gendered violence.” The paper claims that American popular culture often slips in subliminal messaging that is designed to normalize America’s sins.

This article exposes the complicity of popular culture in maintaining American military hegemonies in Oceania while amplifying the enduring indigeneity of the Marshallese people, who maintain deeply spiritual and historical connections to land—even land they cannot occupy due to residual radiation contamination from US nuclear weapons testing—through a range of cultural practices, including language, song, and weaving. This article also considers the gendered violence of nuclear colonialism and the resilience of Marshallese women.

I am wondering if this isn't the same "professor" that had a problem with military recruiters on campus a few years back.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bizarre indeed.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've watched spongebob for years

Maybe I should've been toking some 20% THC cheeba like she apparently was while watching it. There's high and there's "Holly high"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
SL, my kids did but it’s a lot of nonsense I couldn’t really follow. I do remember it’s been called a covert (or not so covert) attempt to create sympathy for Homosexuals. Seems every few years there’s some new conspiracy. I see a lot of kids shows and most are nonsense. Then again Beavis and Butthead, Ren and Stimpy, or Southpark weren’t exactly educational. Maybe Wiley and Road Runner taught us Relativity.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I got frickin' sick of Spoogefuck and banned him from the house.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So Bikini Bottom was taken over by crabs?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about Fred and Barney? We’re they secretly gay? Tom and Jerry.....what’s that all about. Is Droopy making fun of fat people?

This is typical academia...sit in front of a class with all the answers to the questions in the book and convince yourself you have an answer for everything.

She’s a do nothing that’s done nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dont' forget

Burt and Ernie
Abbot and Costello
Dean and Jerry

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oh yes! There was a very heated argument among our local loggers on that very issue in the tavern last night. Lucky the LEO's were not called in.

1Minute
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deltakid
I am wondering if this isn't the same "professor" that had a problem with military recruiters on campus a few years back.

... or the same professor that invented the term "Fart Rape."

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by deltakid

... or the same professor that invented the term "Fart Rape."

Yep. Probably. Definitely a fuggin butt hurt snowflake Commie Demotards Liberal C U N T.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 10/12/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Comedy has historically been known to be a tool of subversion to inflict society.

Take the Campfire for instance, where many posters have obviously been watching
The Three Stooges!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

....Willy Wonka.....is a Nazi war criminal.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Brought you by Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway.
Lol!!!
Clip reminds me of some members on here.
laugh laugh laugh

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've given this Spongebob matter a lot of deep thought - and I think Patrick is funny!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A piece of creative writing garbage to garner some publicity for herself. Just another ultra left progressive bioche.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
A piece of creative writing garbage to garner some publicity for herself. Just another ultra left progressive bioche.

PREZACTLY!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,473
Posts18,471,466
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.