Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Elliot
Jamesjr

As you can figure out, I dont know much of anything when it comes to fire arms, can I ask you, why we need to change the rings? The only thing that can think of is that the scope moves ? Not a good grip? Thanks

The rings that come on the Remington rifle/scope packages are about the cheapest ones made. I'm not saying they won't work, because I know several people who have used them with no problems, but I just prefer a little more expensive set. It's just a matter or personal preference.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bases seem to be okay on those package guns, but the rings are pretty cheap. I usually sell the rings with the scope when I buy a 700 combo rifle.

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Better figure on a new trigger too. Get this done right from the start.

https://timneytriggers.com/calvin-elite-remington-model-700/

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Need a good stock to get the most out of it.

https://grayboe.com/shop/outlander/

You'll need an ADL to BDL conversion kit too.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...ction-small-adl-to-bdl-kits-prod340.aspx

That's what's great about the Remington 700, it's a great start.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

That's what's great about the Remington 700, it's a great start.

It doesn't have to be like that..... grin

On a budget, a guy can tweak the factory trigger with a new spring and see how it shoots with the unbedded factory tupperware. They sometimes perform pretty well like that. Sometimes they do better with a bed/float though, I will admit.

**I would ditch that plastic ADL guard though, and go with a metal one. The plastic ones nearly always crack.

Last edited by JPro; 10/08/19.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
....or, you could just go shoot it like it is, see what it does, and work through issues on your own...learn it all the hard way, BUT you’d know the issues or non-issues, and not just heard about them on the internet, and you’d have your own trigger time behind your education, not just my typing (or someone else’s) on the inter webs. LOL

Folks are trying to steer you right and save you grief here. My only point is that it’s YOUR rifle, in the end. wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I much prefer the 3.5-10 leupold to the 2-8. I've never had a 2-8 that tracked consistant at all. I've had better luck overall with the 3.5-10 than any other leupold.
Luck them both over and pay attention to eyebox and field of view. Maybe the 2-8 is for you just don't get frustrated sighting it in if one click is 3/4 moa, the next is half moa, and another hardly moves things at all.

Bb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I hope Elliot is doing well and will share his experiences with us as things progress. Should we bed the thing? Maybe cut back to 21" and recrown too? Weld the bolt handle? Pin the recoil lug? AI that sucker? He'll need a suppressor.... Oh chit we haven't even lapped the lugs!

--- Kid Rock 2022

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
MtnBoomer,

Right now what I gather from all the info is just stick to one type of cartridge and then moved on as I progress with the shooting, about the scope... I will try to get one that is under $200, since I dont have more money to put in it. I thought I had more but I dont. Recrown ? Bolt handle, pin the recoil lug? Dude I dont know half the things you wrote. Never care about guns until now and I wish I had started earlier. Thanks guys.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
When it comes to optics,spend a little more than you can afford.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Bullschit. Spend what you can afford. Not more. There are plenty of adaquate scopes for $200. Look up Doug at Cameraland, he sponsors the "optics forum". He'll set you up.

If you can't afford a $250 scope, don't get one.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
MtnBoomer,

... I will try to get one that is under $200, since I dont have more money to put in it. I thought I had more but I dont.

Did your ADL come with a scope already mounted? If it did, I'd shoot the scope that's on it and save more money for another scope. They aren't great scopes on the package rifles, but I'd try shooting it before taking it off.

If you dont have a scope and only $200 to spend look at the Burris FFII lineup as Boomer suggested. Or cruise the classifieds here and look for a decent used scope in your price range. Just make sure the used scope you get comes with a transferable warranty.

Make sure as you make changes to the rifle you only do one thing at a time. So if you change the scope don't do anything else to the rifle until you shoot the rifle at the range. This way it makes things much easier to diagnose if your shooting takes a turn for the worse. Believe me I know how tempting it is to change the scope, trigger, and stock all at the same time.

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elliot, CDNN is running a closeout on Bushnell Trophy XLT scopes for $70. They are good scopes for the money and should have no issues with the recoil of a .243.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-3-9x40-trophy-xlt-multi-x-matte-scope.html#.XZ3aF7pOnDs

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just having fun. Do make sure to tighten your takedown screws before heading to the range....

Doubt you can beat this for reliability and ease of use for the money. Give Doug at CameralandNY a call when you are ready to buy.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0135-de4b-00163e90e196?variation=1693943

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Here is an option slightly used in the Classifieds.

Scope

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would recommend a good quality 6x fixed power scope.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MtnBoomer,

Right now what I gather from all the info is just stick to one type of cartridge and then moved on as I progress with the shooting, about the scope... I will try to get one that is under $200, since I dont have more money to put in it. I thought I had more but I dont. Recrown ? Bolt handle, pin the recoil lug? Dude I dont know half the things you wrote. Never care about guns until now and I wish I had started earlier. Thanks guys.

Elliot, Consider used. Almost all, quality scopes have a lifetime warranty....including second owners. Used, quality scopes can be had for 40 to 50% of original price when new. Do your homework, determine you preferred scope, and shop! I’ve bought several good quality, second hand scopes right here on the “fire’s” classified section. Meaning....you should be able to get a better scope within your imposed scope budget, as compared to buying a new scope! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
wow, that is a good tip, thanks man. by the way My rifle finally made it to the store today. will pick it up tomorrow.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Bullschit. Spend what you can afford. Not more. There are plenty of adaquate scopes for $200. Look up Doug at Cameraland, he sponsors the "optics forum". He'll set you up.

If you can't afford a $250 scope, don't get one.

Save your money and get one,it is not hard.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hey, you said to let the barrel cool down after 3-5 rounds. For how long should the barrel rest ?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,825
Posts18,477,900
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.