-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most trucks being sold today are automatic . It's more fuel efficient and less maintenance , drivers can't destroy the clutch .

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I mentioned once on one of these truck driving threads, about having compression releases on our trucks. Don't think there was more than a couple that even knew what I was talking about. Sure came in handy when needed.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter
More importantly..How many know how to adjust there brakes and how often do they...

All equipment sold since the early 90's has automatic slack adjusters that should not be adjusted manually.

Better question: how many drivers know how to check brake adjustment? And how many DO? How many know how auto slacks work and what to do to keep them adjusted?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
More importantly..How many know how to adjust there brakes and how often do they...

That's mechanic work. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Dutch

All equipment sold since the early 90's has automatic slack adjusters that should not be adjusted manually.

Better question: how many drivers know how to check brake adjustment? And how many DO? How many know how auto slacks work and what to do to keep them adjusted?

Same way as the old brakes..Tighten all the way then back off 1/2..I backed off 1/4 on my trucks and did or checked it daily.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How about 75,000 mile oil change interval? That ain't old school.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greyghost
When a driver doesn't abide by the rules himself, they've got no room for complaining about others! Nearly 50 years of pushing big rigs of every kind and make including the large cranes and oversize machinery. Driver knowledge and etiquette started going down the tubes with deregulation, most drivers today don't even know the laws of their home state much less the other various states. On the other side I don't care for over regulation, todays computerized, trucks with GPS tracking, and electronic logs I've got no use for. Never cared for trucks with power steering, air-conditioning, and those little stubby shifters. Or trucks taking up half their load capacity with sleepers made out like motor homes. Hell drivers today, most can't even back up a rig.

Phil

I told a driver recruiter once that I can back up three pieces of equipment. He said - you ran doubles? I said: no... tractor, haybaler and wagon. wink

Last edited by roundoak; 10/13/19.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
not to offend you campfire truckers...

but driving a 4 wheeler, what bugs me is heading up a mountainside on the interstate, and here in Oregon with our dipschitt liberals running the state, and handing out welfare to minorities is more important than maintaining and building adequate roads for highway conditions......are trucks that will immediately jerk out into the left lane when there is half a car length between their rear bumper and the car in the left lane... then they will chug up the highway doing 33 mph, passing the truck that had been in front of them in the right lane, which is traveling at 32.5 mph..... all the way to the top....

then they get all pissed off and ride your ass by a few feet if you impede their travel whatsoever....

I 5 from the CA border to the Washington Border needs to be 4 lane on each side, with the volume of traffic it carries, particularly trucks....and needs to have hill climbing lanes, at least two for trucks going up and down mountain passes...they DON"T..
so I blame the state for that... its not 1969 anymore... and the volume of traffic is I bet 500% of what it was when this highway was built, with minimal improvements over the years...so the state is contributing their own problems to the equation...

yeah, I grew up when truckers were hwy gentlemen... now its almost like a free for all out there, and they have the biggest and slowest rigs, so they are king of the traffic flow... but I drive the same highways you do... and in 4 wheelers there are a lot of self centered A HOles behind the wheels, that the rest of us have to deal with just as you do...

and the road system needs to be improved big time.... I go home to the east coast and there are interstates heading all over the place ....the main road here north to south, from the CA border north is the only game in town... yeah CA has freeways to meet their needs ( somewhat)... Oregon and Washington... what a joke.... although WA is more up on the times than Oregon...except Metro Puget Sound....where almost 24/8, the freeway is closer to a parking lot that a way to get anywhere....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Truckers helping each other was common. I remember the spring on the accelerator peddle broke one time. Foot peddle fell to the floor and wouldn't come up. Stuck my toe under it, pulled it up, and got to the side of the interstate. In just a minute, two 18 wheelers pulled over to see what was wrong. One of them had a tool box and we found a spring that would get me going again. In 15 min. or so, I was back on the road. Don't see that happening today.

That happened to me hauling 80,000 lbs of bulk cement down a steep downgrade. Pedal went to the floor and I had to pry it up with my foot while frantically trying to slow dafuq down and eventually pull over. In the middle of nowhere there was no help, and none likely to come any time soon. There was no repairing the broken throttle return spring so I ended up taping my foot to the accelerator with electrical tape so I could lift the throttle and get back home.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
How about 75,000 mile oil change interval? That ain't old school.

Id never let my trucks go that long between oil changes but were all different just like oil changes on cars and trucks..

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw 2 truckers get into a fun situation a few weeks ago by Pendleton. We were at a near standstill for construction. One truck was in front of us, the other approaching from behind in the left lane - which had several signs stating that it would end. The left trucker decided to take advantage of the situation and go around everyone who had merged right. The truck in front of took exception to that and attempted to block him. It ended up being a slow speed race with the offending trucker completely in the left ditch in order to make it around everyone. First time I have seen that.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
California Highway Patrol basically ignores trucking violations except at the way stations or in cases that they are likely to cause an accident. Not saying that is right or wrong seeing as how just pulling a rig over can cause extreme traffic problems with few roads having shoulders or pull-outs today. Hell even see semis driving in the car-pool lane (with trailers). But ignoring citing these [bleep] only makes it worse. Today you can see a truck in every lane of traffic blocking its flow for everyone. I've seen better than 3 hours to go 45 miles. Seldom will you even see Highway Patrol today.

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Same way as the old brakes..Tighten all the way then back off 1/2..I backed off 1/4 on my trucks and did or checked it daily.

If you back off an auto slack without releasing the pin, you'll likely strip the teeth and ruin it..... You can tighten them like regular brakes, but you can't back them off like regular brakes.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I broke in on an old Kenworth with a 5 and a 4 tranny in the mountains with a logging truck...Loaded, going up a very steep grade,left no room for error in shifting the main box down..Those were the fun days..These new 13/15/18 etc speed tranny's,a little old woman could drive....That 5/4 could be a biitch ..Not everyone could master them.

I drove an old Autocar with the 5x4 and the 4x4 was in an old International, both hauling logs.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My turn signal is on, and it was on when you were behind me, well, you better watch the phucqk out cause i'm coming over, you had fair warning!

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
23 years ago my wife and I were owner/operators. There was a lot of stupidity then....but seems to be exponentially worse now. From then to now there seems to be a tremendous increase of “minority” ( middle eastern, Mexican, ect.) drivers. As everywhere else in humanity, overall they appear to have different standards and ethics than do what we consider normal. Is it lack of formal education, lack of morality, lack of common sense, lack of good parental guidance or upbringing, or perhaps a combination of all. That said.....today’s generation, overall lacks the “moral compass” that many of the older generations have/had! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
23 years ago my wife and I were owner/operators. There was a lot of stupidity then....but seems to be exponentially worse now. From then to now there seems to be a tremendous increase of “minority” ( middle eastern, Mexican, ect.) drivers. As everywhere else in humanity, overall they appear to have different standards and ethics than do what we consider normal. Is it lack of formal education, lack of morality, lack of common sense, lack of good parental guidance or upbringing, or perhaps a combination of all. That said.....today’s generation, overall lacks the “moral compass” that many of the older generations have/had! memtb

Yep. It’s amazing when you pull into a Truck Stop nowadays the number of turbin wearing dothead drivers you see. And Meskins that look pure wetback.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Don't get a Canadian friend going, about "Diaper Heads".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dont know about the automatic slack adjusters, but IIRC a 9/16" box end wrench is what's needed to adjust manual trailer and rear tractor brakes.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
No 9/16 any more.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,178 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.