BREAKING
Man who fatally shot friend on deer hunt behind bars
By LARRY HOBBS lhobbsthebrunswicknews.com Oct 8, 2019
Facebook
Twitter

Email
Facebook
Twitter
The man who fatally shot a teenage hunting companion whom he mistook for a deer while hunting out of season in western Glynn County on Sept. 28 is now behind bars.

Glynn County Police arrested Hector Romero-Hernandez, 32, on Monday, charging him with misuse of a firearm while hunting resulting in serious bodily harm, according to Glynn County Detention Center records. He remained Tuesday in the county jail, held without bond on the felony charge. Additionally, Romero-Hernandez is charged with hunting with an unlawful weapon, hunting without a big game license and hunting without a license, all three of which are misdemeanors, according to jail records.

Bobby Lee Lane, 17, was shot around 6:45 p.m. in woods near the 500 block of Myers Hill Road, located off U.S. Highway 82 in western Glynn County, police said. Romero-Hernandez and a third person on the illegal hunting trip drove Lane to a nearby Friendly Express to meet county paramedics, who took him to Southeast Georgia Health System’s Brunswick hospital. Lane was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Romero-Hernandez allegedly told county police that the three hunters were in tree stands about 300 yards apart. They were supposed to meet back together at a prearranged location and time, he told police.

Romero-Hernandez told police he heard footsteps and rustling in the brush, the county police report said. Romero-Hernandez allegedly told police “when he looked at it, it looked like horns,” the police report said. “But it was a tree branch and he shot at it and he hit Lane by accident.”

Romero-Hernandez was hunting with a firearm out of season, police and DNR game wardens said. Deer hunting season with firearms does not open until Oct. 19. Bow hunting season opened Sept. 14.

Additionally, police said Romero-Hernandez did not have a hunting license, nor the added big game license needed to hunt deer.

A GoFundMe page has been established to help offset funeral expenses for Lane’s parents. The page can be found at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/funeral-expenses-for-bobby-lee-lane.

The state DNR’s law enforcement division is still investigating and more charges could be pending against Romero-Hernandez, said DNR Capt. Chris Hodge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, that happened.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
a USFS ranger was shot and kilt a few years back in georgia.

it happens. no need to say be careful, but one should.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wonder if the shooter was a wetback. They like to poach and damn sure don’t By a hunting license.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was one of them "I only need a scope" fellers.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds to me like one of those fuggin idiots that shoots at “sounds” 😡

From the article:
“Romero-Hernandez told police he heard footsteps and rustling in the brush, the county police report said. Romero-Hernandez allegedly told police “when he looked at it, it looked like horns,” the police report said. “But it was a tree branch and he shot at it and he hit Lane by accident.”

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Add: Hunting while being Mexican with multiple last names to the list of charges.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Add: Hunting while being Mexican with multiple last names to the list of charges.

Yep!!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bet he'll be issued a photo ID now. The warden will put it up for safe keeping though.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Give credit where due, at least he wasn't hunting over a cornpile. You guys in the piney woods live a somewhat different life.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They ignore the rules in all areas of life. I rent to a few in my warehouses and you may as well wipe your butt with the rules sheet or the lease provisions you give them. Constantly doing sht , parking things not allowed on the properties. I cant wait until their leases are up at the end of the year so I cant kick them out without evicting them. I hope they throw the book at him.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Back in my younger days I had a "sound" shooter rip off a round in my direction in Orford NH.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He was not hunting, at all. No licence.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's called poaching.

The press is super smart though. Only they understand the virtue of a fully semiautomatic rifle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Give credit where due, at least he wasn't hunting over a cornpile.
mike r

There was a corn pile, but he ground it up for tor-tee-yahs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I remember years ago talking to a guy in Mexico. He told me he was deer hunting at night. Heard something moving around and shot it.. It turned out to be his donkey.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Scotty
I remember years ago talking to a guy in Mexico. He told me he was deer hunting at night. Heard something moving around and shot it.. It turned out to be his donkey.

My younger brother went through college with a guy from Trinidad and they became good friends. He brought him to our home several times over the years. Really likable young man and just a good guy.

The first time he learned that my Dad liked to hunt deer he got excited and talked about hunting back home. He was amazed when he heard we would hunt with a bow and wanted to know all about it. Dad explained the difference in limiting the shots and focusing on a lung shot. He said "That's amazing...how do you see the lungs to hit them? All we shoot for at home is the head because the eyes are all we can see." That's when we learned the only way he'd ever been hunting was when his uncle would take him to hold the light at night.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A GoFundMe page for a criminal?
The kids guilty of poaching also,
Guess the parents did a pour job of raising him. Bet they are demorats

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hope GA prosecutes him....

In Oregon, he'd probably skate on it, strictly on his last name....

and especially if he was good at playing dumb, and doing the No Habla Gig....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Traveler52
A GoFundMe page for a criminal?
The kids guilty of poaching also,
Guess the parents did a pour job of raising him. Bet they are demorats

The parents don’t pay for food, anymore (EBT CARD), insurance (Medicaid), housing (section 8), and Bernie et al are gonna fund them for “college”. Nowadays, the parents won’t even pay for their kid’s funeral.

$30k for a car??? Sure. Pay $5-$10k for your own kid’s funeral?? That’s crazy....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,516
Posts18,490,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.