Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Get a Ruger LCP and enough ammo to learn how to shoot it.

They are no fun to shoot, which is it's only drawback, due to tiny size and low weight. My hand vibrates (and keeps vibrating for hours) after just a few mags full from that gun. But it's not meant for fun range trips. Mainly for pulling out and shooting an attacker at close range. Not a whole lot of expertise required, beyond learning the basics of its operation.

For me, I have to spend range time with a handgun to learn where it hits in a "grab and fire" situation,...especially the micro pistols.

Of course, if you've got time to get a perfect grip on the pistol, position your trigger finger perfectly, acquire perfect sight alignment,...typically one can learn to place shots pretty well.

But I want to know where it hits when I pull it and point it.

Only up to page two on this thread but wanted to comment here.

With my LCP (original version) if I use a traditional two hand grip it shoots way to the right in a "grabitpointitshootit" scenario, but if I just use one hand it points right where I'm looking or so darn close that it's still going to make a succession of good center of mass hits. If I have time and aim with a two handed hold it is remarkably accurate on targets and definitely center of bad guy accurate out to 25-30 yards.

That's my number one criteria for any self defense weapon - does it point where I'm looking? Training is good, very good, and lots of firearms can be used well with practice, but you can never really practice for that first time to be dinosaur brain scared and shooting to save your life so I want something that helps in every way possible to get the very first round on target (plus all succeeding rounds). Mechanical reliability and bullet performance are certainly important but the main thing I'm shooting for is to get that first bullet to hit where it hurts the most and do that as quickly as possible.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whichever .380 you buy, if you pocket carry with or without a holster be sure to clean it on a regular basis even if it hasn't been fired. Monthly is definitely not too often.

It's amazing how much lint and dust and general crap can accumulate in and on a pistol so carried. "Ask me how I know..." wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Fondle a Bersa Thunder. I bought one on a whim and it just plain works. A natural pointer kinda like the Luger. I have run about 350 rounds through mine and it has not failed to fire or eject once. You might like it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
how bout a 9mm?
ruger LC9S or the pro

Too big and heavy for summer carry, but they're great guns, IMO.

I love my LCP and just ordered an LCP II. A 380 is a belly gun, and the Rugers always function, no matter what crappy ammo I feed them.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image from thetrace.org]

that chart is worth drinking some coffee and looking at. that's quite the correlation.

i'm not a licensed carrier, not now. but did just procure the basic ruger 380 to ride in the truck door.

the issue is whether to tote it in and out of the truck everyday. i don't, i leave it against better advice.

but the neighbor is close, has guns and outside lights, and his yardfull of pitbulls don't allow anthing unannounced.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Well, duh!

A private citizen engaging in self-defense has only one goal--to survive. That must always be the first criteria in any decision concerning defensive weaponry. Given that, small guns, especially a small revolver, make the most sense most of the time. Just as the buying public has made clear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tomcat .32ACP pocket holster . . .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Comes with a steel spring clip, if you want to wear it IWB on the right or on your belt, on the left.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,511
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.