Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i'm thinking a black mouth cur dog?

kinda light tan, whitish, with a black face/nose.

should he be cur-tailed, or allowed to keep his tail?

coyotes are beginning to take over, even pack up a bit.

not a lot of packing, but with feral dogs it's beginning to happen.

any dog that weighs less than 40 lbs. shouldn't be allowed to run alone?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd never cut a dogs tail, that's like cutting off a Italians hands.
He wouldn't be able to talk
A dogs tail tells the world how he's feeling and the mood he's in.
That's good to know sometimes.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tracks
I'd never cut a dogs tail, that's like cutting off a Italians hands.
He wouldn't be able to talk
A dogs tail tells the world how he's feeling and the mood he's in.
That's good to know sometimes.

yes, i agree. like trimming their ears maybe?

back in the day, the taxes were paid on the length of a dog's tail.

some dogs lost their tails, and others were bred w/short tails.

people will do all kinds of stuff to reduce the pymnt of taxes.

why even have taxes, pray tell?

curtail feists, and curdogs. a tough bunch for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A dog without a tail is like a ship without a sail, would probably just swim in a circle.

I don't know about dobermans, I never tossed one off of a dock.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
A dog without a tail is like a ship without a sail, would probably just swim in a circle.

i've heard a long tail helps a dog migrate across a log on a river, creek, or branch.

they wave it back and forth, and it helps keep them balanced on the short diameter log.

i've never seen a coon-dog fall off a log into the creek. but i guess it could happen.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i've never seen a coon-dog fall off a log into the creek. but i guess it could happen.

Sure it could. In fact I saw a bobcat fall off of a log into a creek. It was carrying a rabbit in its mouth, and I figure the swinging made it fall. The rabbit drifted a little and the bobcat swam to it, and then started climbing back up on the log, instead of going to a bank. It did not make it, as I shot it between the eyes with a 30-30 Winchester. smile miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You all must not know much about Boxers.

They have the ugliest possum tail you can imagine,
And even as adults, the tail wags the dog.

In Europe tail docking is illegal, except in medically required situations.
Boxers wag so hard, they can break their tails if they hit a corner with it.
They wag so much, those broken tails often get rebroken before they heal,
leading to real problems requiring amputation. On a pup, that's done
easily with scissors or a pocket knife. On an adult, it requires a vet, and is
a serious surgery.

On a dog that's kept for some kind of fighting, I tail can be a liability.
If I had a dog to hunt coyote or hogs, it would likely get docked.

I would even consider docking ears, something I really don't like.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 10/15/19.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’ve seen some cur dogs born with only a short tail

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
Originally Posted by slumlord

i've heard a long tail helps a dog migrate across a log on a river, creek, or branch.

they wave it back and forth, and it helps keep them balanced on the short diameter log.

We used to hunt a bob tailed Bluetick, not too sure if he ever fell off of a log or not.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
You looking? How about drool?
I would go for a Tibetan mastiff
Boss had sharpeis that were good guards

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a few observations I've made over the years dealing with coyotes and my own dogs.

If you're serious about the coyote risk, docking the tail can be the deciding factor on whether a dog gets stretched out or not.

40 lbs doesn't guarantee a dog's safety, my Emmie weighed 47 lbs with a narrow build when the coyotes killed her about 5 in the evening. When I found her, the muzzle was bruised and her tail split, there was about a 10 ft circle of matted grass around her where the battle took place. From what I could tell they made short work of her. She was 2 years old and had dealt with coyotes her entire life. Interestingly, she had recently been spayed and as soon as she began to recover she suffered a back injury which I now suspect was coyote related.

My dog Brandy was stocky built, about 57 lbs and she had her tail split open numerous times over her 6 years fighting coyotes but I guess she was too strong to completely subdue.

The best defense I have found so far is a large intact dominant male accompanying whatever dogs you wish to keep. It can push the coyotes 2 or 300 more yards from your home and drastically reduce the conflict over territory around the house but sometimes it can require human intervention to eliminate an aggressive coyote.

While coyotes don't actually pack up like wolves, they do form family groups and may allow a pup from the year's litter to join the group. It's these pups and the alpha male that seem to cause the most trouble beginning late summer/ early fall.
The first cold snap is generally the trigger for them to attempt to reclaim territory they surrendered while keeping a low profile over the summer during the raising of pups.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So about how many coyotes does it take to kill a large male dog like a shepherd or lab?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StrayDog
So about how many coyotes does it take to kill a large male dog like a shepherd or lab?

I think it really depends on the dog, there is a learning curve for dogs in dealing with coyotes. Some big dogs are very capable of dealing with a number of coyotes including killing them quickly and aren't about to get smoked.
Also, you have to realize that skirmishes and interactions can happen frequently for dogs living in the midst of coyotes.
Sometimes a dog will begin to interact with the coyotes instead of viewing them as interlopers in their territory, when this happens it can become just a matter of time.

Also, I believe the dog's width can play a larger role than their actual weight. As a dog gets wider it becomes more difficult for a coyote to choke or attack the spine.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

We used to hunt a bob tailed Bluetick, not too sure if he ever fell off of a log or not.

Pay em no mind 10Ga........

Speaking from experience I've yet to see a Cur dog fall over because it's tail was docked.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A friend in MT's BMC/Red Bone.....tail or no tail NO Coyote want's to tangle with this guy.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Best coyote killer in the country is a Great Pyrenees. They will patrol the countryside all night hunting coyotes and sleep on the porch all day.

Farm and stock dogs around here get their tails docked to keep the tail from catching the bottom wire on the electric fences.

A dog may flat refuse to enter the pasture if his tail brushes the fence and he gets electrocuted every time he attempts to go get a cow. They quickly learn to slink under a fence on their belly and avoid the wire with the head and back. But that happy tail wagging behind or over the back often catches a wire.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Black Mouth Cur would be a fine choice, however 2 or three , though more to feed etc would be much finer indeed. With just one, well its a numbers game and your pup is apt to loose or at best incur high vet bills in patch work even upon winning. .

A good friend purchased three BMCs from one litter for this exact reason. Within one year of close supervision as to not get killed as pups well, the yotes didn't / don't stand a chance now and period. They now stay far far away from his homestead.

I concur with cropping the tails and ears if yotes are your main objective/ issue, forget the humane aspect, they could care less. You will create a better machine with less ear infections as well, do it early and let them do work.

That BMC / RB is gorgeous. I woudn't kick a BMC / Plott cross out of the mix either !

Last edited by Strick9; 10/15/19.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My BIL's Brittany saved one of their daschounds that had been pounced on by a pack of coyotes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Strick9

That BMC / RB is gorgeous. I woudn't kick a BMC / Plott cross out of the mix either !

Smart man^^^^^^^^ My mtn Cur actually has a tich of Plott in her.

Some of the hound hunters up here run Bear with Plotts......the little bit they lack in nose they more than make up for in gritt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Strick9

Smart man^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ My mtn Cur actually has a tich of Plott in her.

Some of the hound hunters up here run Bear with Plotts......the little bit they lack in nose they more than make up for in heart.

I thought the brindling may speak to Plottish lines in your pup. Very hard to beat a big male Plott for most things gritty indeed.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Had a 125lb bloodhound that was meaner than boiling piss. He kept more than coyotes at a distance in his prime. I miss the mean ole bastard...he was my best friend. He could track wounded game through concrete or 3 feet of snow...loved my wife more than me!

GOD Bless America
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 59 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,458
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.