3-7-77
GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by mch
Well if a slinter is like a splinter use this. https://www.amazon.com/Ichthammol-2...wing+salve&qid=1571229439&sr=8-4

That stuff works.

It's also painless and much safer.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Splinter tweezers, using a needle to dig down to where it is, squeeze to push it up a bit

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A thick coating of vaseline and loosely wrap it in gauze. It will come up to the top....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a piece of treated wood under my arm pit from some play ground equipment one summer.

Tried to get/pull it out myself but no joy.

Asked my friend's mother to try and cut it out but even she would not try because it was to deep.

They did all kinds of sewing/cutting when they ran their dairy.
So went to the doc and he did some work with the thin blade and it took about 1 minute.

felt better right after it came out.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Another way of doing it - remove the top layer(s) of skin and let it heal a bit to raise it up a bit.... then repeat until you get the sucker out.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank God it isn't metal. Those buggers will bury themselves deeper.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If that salve on Amazon is anything like the old black, " Watkins Salve", it will (pardon my old timey euphemism ) "pull Hell off the Cross", ha. It was sold by the "Watkins Man", door to door salesman when I was a kid. Back then, many kids would develop boils. Put a dab of that on under a bandaid, and here came the core! Ha Maybe soaking in hot Epsom Salt Water a long time will draw it out too. I had one in my back ( slid down a paneled oilfield shack and a splinter went deep, broke off. My boss was wimpy, so had to go to Doc. He deadened it and cut it out.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mch
Well if a slinter is like a splinter use this. https://www.amazon.com/Ichthammol-2...wing+salve&qid=1571229439&sr=8-4

Do you just apply that salve on the splinter entrance and put on a Band Aid?

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
mch Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, just be careful not to get to much on fingernails. Had a friend tell me he used it on a splinter under his fingernail. And the fingernail came off.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Remove it Mountain Man style - have a friend lash you down with deer rawhide straps, heat a bear knife over an open fire, put a stick in your mouth after swallowing half a bottle of cheap whisky, and he tells you "hold on!" before he goes to work on you...

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by benchman
Originally Posted by mch

That stuff works.

Yep, I try to keep some on hand.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Remove it Mountain Man style - have a friend lash you down with deer rawhide straps, heat a bear knife over an open fire, put a stick in your mouth after swallowing half a bottle of cheap whisky, and he tells you "hold on!" before he goes to work on you...

gonehuntin,

O.k. here's the deal, if I ever get a splinter, just stay the Hell away from me with your bar' knife and rawhide...!!

You're as bad as my Dad used to be. "...just put a big ol' sloppy chew of Copenhagen on it and I'll dig it out at noon with my old, rusty pocket knife."

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't be a puss, get a razor blade (Stanly knife type) and dig that bugger out! it'll help if you pour a little oral-gel on it when you start digging.

A good product for drawing it out is Watkins petro carbo suave.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finger nail clippers.
Nip at the entry of the splinter with the clippers till your deep enough to grab the splinter.
I`ve been working on boats for over 30 years.
Wood and fiberglass splinters are a weekly occurrence.
Wipe things down with alcohol and triple antibiotic ointment on the wound.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If that old black ointment {itchthammol} won't get it , it can't be got.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Got it. Let finger soak in vinegar for about 30 minutes. It really softened up the callus and I was able to find the head with needle. I'm pretty sure the vinegar drew the splinter nearer to the surface, it was easy to find whereas before it was nowhere to be seen, even after picking fairly deep. Pulled out with a good set of tweezers. Darn thing was 3/8" long and went nearly straight in. Had to be close to coming out the other side.

Got it by smoothing a bead of caulk on trim with my finger preparing for paint. I hate painting.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Chainsaw!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My girlfriend had one like that in her thumb. In several days it started getting red and I told her to get the hell down to the doc in the box.
She didn't want to go because it was Sunday.
On Monday I bitched at her some more, she went to doc in the box, they sent her right down to Mission Memorial Hospital. She was one day away from having her thumb amputated. Close call.

She just got loaded up on antibiotics.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
true story: reaching for a pan under the kitchen counter, finger raked the back of the door front. drove a wood splinter to the bottom of the middle finger nail. could see it. was shorter than the nail was long.

went to a local doctor in a box. they didn't take my insurance. damn them!

went to a local CVS. local counter girl helped me pick a sharp pointed tweezers. she couldn't get it out. she tried while i stood there all teary eyed.

damn it all!

cut the nail back to the quick. still couldn't reach it. gettin' stirred up now!

gave up. will go to the grave like this, and so be it.

low and behold majic happened. the nail kept growing.

the old piece of plywood sliver began to move forward. that is outward.

about two weeks later and i grabbed it with the tweezers procured from CVS and snatched it out.

damn those people that wouldn't take my insurance to hell!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (01Foreman400, 17Hunter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,602
Posts18,473,624
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.