Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody ever have it? How did you get over it? Going on 6 months now and getting worse for me. Dang foot Dr is a quack I think, just wants to sell some shoe insoles. I’m hobbling around and it’s starting to get old. Need some ideas on help.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Working on concrete for 10-12 hours a day and the fact that I was aging and my feet were flattening out. Mine hit at about age 40. And yes, the first 2 podiatrist's I saw were both quacks.

I went with custom orthotic insoles that I still wear daily and the third podiatrist sent me to a physical therapist. PT gave me the tools to fix the problem and keep it from flaring up. Stretching, ice, heat, strengthening, massage, and wearing good shoes.

PF seriously sucks for the guy who needs to be on his feet and loves hiking, hunting, the outdoors, etc..

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yep. Custom insoles. Not cheap. But worth it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Toss any worn out shoes you have. Ibuprofen and inner soles worked for me.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Yes! Those inserts made for plantar fascitius that you can buy a Walmart help me immensely. I cannot wear like cowboy boots anymore. I usually wear Redwing Iron Rangers and Merrill pull on shoes with the inserts. Hasn’t completely cured it. But a damn site better!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had it years ago. Buy a pair of Birenstock Blued Footbed Heeled insoles for your shoes. They are better and much cheaper than the ones the doctors sell. Never go barefoot, even in your house, until it's healed. Roll your foot on a frozen bottle of water as often as you can everyday. Also, before you get out of bed take a towel and pull the top of your foot back towards your head and hold it for several minutes. Do that a few times every morning. It takes a long time to heal up. Good luck

Last edited by MD521; 10/16/19.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Physio and some time fixed it for me, had is in both feet over a period of a few years. I also stopped wearing worn down shoes and pretty much wear a quality runner most of the time now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sleep with a night brace corrective boot for about 6 months.

I had dat sheeit for years standing on ladders doing siding and roofing work.

Shoes and dr shoals stupid inserts are gimmicks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I started having it back early April. Went to this 70+ year old Dr from the middle ages and got 3 steroid shots over time, plus sold me a pair of the best insoles - Powerstep Protect Control insoles at $50 a whack. Eventually bought 2 pair so I wouldn’t have to change them out for different shoes.

Didn’t think he was helping me very well so I switched to a younger DR and he knew what was going on. Insisted that I go to this particular shoe store that carried “Motion Control” shoes that have soles that are stiff and don’t budge. Bought 2 pair - one for around the house and and a nice looking sneaker when we go out. This Dr even took X-rays to make sure I didn’t have any spurs.

Did some of the similar exercises but I think the shoes made the biggest difference with the special insoles. Not completely back to normal but I’m at 85% or so. If I walk slowly I can plant my heal first when walking, if I’m in a hurry then I have to hit the ball of my foot first.

I had bought a night boot similar to the pic above but that seemed to put too much strain on my foot. I got a different night splint from the new Dr that straps onto the front side of my foot and it’s less strain on my foot over night.

At the rate I’m going I would think I would be back to normal by the first of the year.

confused

This is one of the shoes I got for around the house - https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us...-mens-walking-shoes/1100401D001.070.html

Last edited by tpcollins; 10/16/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly what is it and where does it hurt? Heel? Ball of the foot? Arch?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had it in my left foot, bad enough to make me hobble around. Doctor just told me to do calf and foot stretches, leaning against the wall with one foot out behind you, ball of foot on a stair step and lower the heel, lots of ways to do that kind of thing. I do 30 seconds on each leg/foot in the morning before a shower and it's gone away, mostly. Haven't changed my footwear.

Once in a great while it does start to come back after a few hours of standing or walking but I just do the 30 second stretches whenever it does and that takes care of it.

Obviously medical advice on an outdoor forum is worth less than what you pay for it but gentle stretching doesn't hurt anything and it's free, certainly worth a try. Mine went away after the first couple of days of that.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I fought it for nearly a year. Foot doctors tend to treat the symptoms instead of the cause. Took three steroid shots which offered temporary relief but did not fix the problem.

My problem was my calf muscle. I ended up at a sports chiropractor that was recommended by a friend. He worked on the calf muscle breaking it down and stretching it. I left his office pain free the first time. It took about 6 visits and me following a stretching regiment for it to heal.

That was back in 2016. If my plantar acts up I can stretch it out on my own now.

BTW, I was 53 when this happened and it was the first time going to a chiropractor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
had it bad, got a good pair of boots and it went away.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had them aweful! Both feet. Only thing that fixed them was shots inthe heels. Hurt like hell but fixed it. I wear good running shoes with inserts now and and don't walk barefoot on hardwood floors any more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can cure it in less than two weeks. I have to go to the tire store but around lunch I’ll post how. It is basically carpal tunnel syndrome of the lower leg and foot.

Has nuthin to do with being on your feet, thats how God designed us

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lastround
Exactly what is it and where does it hurt? Heel? Ball of the foot? Arch?

There’s 3 nerves that extend out under your foot that start out near the outer edge of the heel about 2/3 of the way back. It hurts at that exact spot.

These Powerstep Protech insoles have a thicker heel section but I think the main part is they are built up substantially in the arch section which lifts the foot up and helps keep the weight off your heel.

Last edited by tpcollins; 10/16/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks TP,
I’ve been having some foot problems myself, but I thought it was just old age. This may be my problem. Gonna try some of the corrective examples talked about here before I try the Doctor route.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had flare ups from time to time. The real fix is stretching the tendon from your heel to the ball of your foot. and there are several ways to do that. Some work better for some than others, but you have to stretch the tendon. Good insoles help as does sleeping in the boot along with Physical therapy. You cannot afford to buy cheap shoes/boots anymore. Taking Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium helps reduce inflammation and speeds up the process. I found Naproxen Sodium more effective. Your doc can prescribe much stronger anti-inflammation drugs if you ask.

After my knee surgery my doc recommended taking a double dose of Naproxen Sodium. Doing that for a short period is more effective at knocking out the problem quickly and ends up putting less of the meds in your system than taking the recommended dose for a longer period of time. A double dose of over the counter meds was the same as prescription strength, but cheaper. Any of those drugs taken for long periods of time, even at recommended doses can cause serious health issues so it is better to limit them. I wouldn't take them for months at a time.

The tendon has shortened, and may in fact have scar tissue built up where it attaches to bone. You have to break down the scar tissue and stretch the tendon back out. Wearing stiff soled shoes actually increases the odds of getting it. Walking around the house bare foot helps stretch it out and prevent it from coming back out.

Sit on the floor with your leg straight. Keep the leg flat on the floor and wrap a belt around the ball of your foot. With each end of the belt in your hands gently pull the ball of the foot toward you for 30 seconds keeping the heel on the floor. Gradually increase the pressure and repeat several times for 10-15 minutes each day. Take a 20 oz plastic coke bottle, fill with water and freeze. While sitting at a desk or on the couch while watching TV place the bottle of frozen water on the floor and roll it back and forth under your foot. You need to put some weight on your foot. This stretches the tendon, reduces inflammation, and helps break down scar tissue. You can also use just the ice to reduce inflammation after the belt exercise above. Just lay it on the bottom of your foot for a few minutes after the exercise.

If you have a hunt coming up or for some reason need to knock it out fast some docs will give you an injection of steroids in your heel. I had to resort to that once. Most docs don't like to do that, but I had already tried all of the above and needed it gone soon for a hunt coming up. Got the shot which hurt like hell, but got relief much faster. Still had to do the therapy, but the recovery came sooner after the shot.

Last edited by JMR40; 10/16/19.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tried everything except the shots. My solution was custom orthotics; again, rather expensive but well worth it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, my right heal hurts so stinking bad that I can barely walk. Dang it hurts!!!! Got a shot that lasted maybe 3 days, ready for some morphine now, lol.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,453 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.