Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Suppose this person is extremely perceptive, but still a normal person, no spidey sense. No Jason Bourne-like abilities either. So, heightened-but-within-the-realistic-bracket senses. How realistic is it for him or her to hear a faint ..something that alerts him of the danger? Hollywood movies show bullets speeding at you with a buzzing sound, but we all know Hollywood is to realism what North Korea is to democracy. So I'd like to hear what people who are more knowledgeable than me has to say of this issue.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
bullets traveling faster than 1100fps arrive at their destination before the sound does.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, someone fired a 22 round that went over my head. I could hear it as it went over. That's a pretty slow moving bullet, though. A large cal. hunting bullet is moving at more than double the speed of sound. You certainly won't hear the shot but I don't know about the sound it makes in the air.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One deer season, I had one buzz past my head and hit a tree behind me, then I heard the sound of the shot a long way off! I hit the ground fast in case there were more coming! Kinda ruined that opening day for me!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have heard them whizzing over my head. Subsonic by then. You can hear them get louder though they don't get loud so I suppose you can hear them coming. Couldn't locate them from the sound. knew they were over my head because of the terrain. Was another deer hunter perhaps a half section away. as in bang, wait for it, zing. It's my habit to be below the crest of a ridge for safety when sitting. The other guy was on the other side of the ridge and didn't know I was there I'm sure. (Wonder if he would've seen me if I was on the crest of the ridge?)

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"military crest" is a good choice there, I believe.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know about "coming at", I'd doubt it, but serving pit duty at long range BPCR matches 800-900-1000 yards, you can definitely hear those big subsonic slugs passing overhead.

With supersonic bullets it's more of a snap, almost like a .22 pistol shot.

I'm sure combat vets know the sound well.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the bullet is faster than the speed of sound, you'll not hear it until it passes you.

You won't even hear the report until afterwards.

Hence the saying "You'll never hear the shot that kills you."

You can sure hear them as they go by as a miss though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kid0917
"military crest" is a good choice there, I believe.

And still you need to be careful. Same area I was sitting high glassing for deer, I knew their pattern. Saw a guy downrange of where deer would cross. Saw him because 1) I had binocs, 2) he was moving and not too stealthily, and 3) he had sufficient fluorescent orange which stood out like a spotlight. Makes you a believer in wearing plenty of orange.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread reminds me of the very reason I refuse to hunt public land in Louisiana. Years ago, a friend and I was walking across a pipeline on a Wildlife Management Area. This was back before the days of 'hunters orange' It was around noon time and as we walked across, something hit the ground in front of and to the right of my friend...... and then we heard the 'boom'. We both looked toward the sound and probably 400 yds up the pipeline on a hill, was a fellow standing there with what we believed was a raised rifle. We both yelled and took a few quick steps into the woods.

After getting rid of the shakes, we both vowed never to hunt on a Wildlife Management Area again. I dont know about him, but I've never hunted on one since that day.

To answer the question.... We heard a noticeable thump as the bullet hit the ground. Loud enough to hear it as we walked. About the time it took to wonder what it was, the 'boom' hit us. I'm gonna guess a couple of seconds between the 'thump' and the 'boom'. Immediately we both knew what it was or believed we did. And NO, we didn't hear any 'bullet in flight'.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You will never hear the sound of the bullet that kills you! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You hear even the supersonic rounds, the only difference is that it has already passed by the time the sound reaches you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb
You will never hear the sound of the bullet that kills you! wink memtb

I've always heard that and from what I experienced, I believe it.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, you cannot hear them coming, nor can you hear the report before you hear the bullet. With only a few exceptions, it's impossible.

(The exceptions being a bullet that is fired at less than or only a bit above the speed of sound, in which the sound wave of the report has time to pass the bullet in flight.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by pheasant665
Suppose this person is extremely perceptive, but still a normal person, no spidey sense. No Jason Bourne-like abilities either. So, heightened-but-within-the-realistic-bracket senses. How realistic is it for him or her to hear a faint ..something that alerts him of the danger? Hollywood movies show bullets speeding at you with a buzzing sound, but we all know Hollywood is to realism what North Korea is to democracy. So I'd like to hear what people who are more knowledgeable than me has to say of this issue.

Not just no but hell no

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Towelheads at 1000 yards or so killed in the sandpit probably heard the shot

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bullets do not "whiz". But people who hear one go by inches away often do. Involuntarily.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK for all you fans out there, [Rocky, hold off on this one]..... what makes the bang when a firearms goes off?
(It is not the powder igniting) If what I was taught is true, it may surprise some folks)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Bullets do not "whiz". But people who hear one go by inches away often do. Involuntarily.

rofl, I would be one of those guys.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 25 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.