Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
2002 my give a chits went.

As long as I have a place to hang my deer and drink some beer, I'm good.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I talked with a friend of mine who is an auctioneer and he and his wife are realtors. He said he had a man who's wife died when he was 59 then he retired at 66. When he retired he filled one medium UHaul with some things and put that in storage. He then went to my buddy and had him auction off the contents of his house and his wood shop, sell his house, then he just walked away. He just signed some papers, like automotive power of attorney for two cars, and walked away. He told my buddy to "get what it's worth".

Turned out to be worth almost 1/2 a million all told. Nice house fully paid for on 10 acres.

You figure you buy and build a place like that because you figure on staying there the rest of your life. Probably when the wife dies the plans change. Then you don't want to mess with crap, you just want free of it, so you toss the keys to someone like my buddy and just walk away. Like liquidating an estate while you're still alive. Perfectly logical.

If my wife dies I might do just that. Get my guns and reloading stuff, my fishing stuff and a few clothes, then just walk away.

I’m confused what you mean “walked away?”.
As in gave it all to your friend?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We’re in the process of doing the same thing. Sell our big house this spring and build our cabin on our place in SE Alaska. No property tax, no income tax, just the basics like water, power, sewer and telephone. That will be our primary residence and from there we’ll spend the winter time traveling getting some work in down here and enjoying each other even more than we do now.

Life is too short to spend it wrapped in debt and drowning from unhappiness.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Diff'rent circumstance, but I understand completely.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My wife died when I was 59. That's too young to be getting old and alone. I remarried and it's the best thing I could have done. The trick is to meet someone who's TOTALLY different from the 1st one so you aren't comparing them. My 2d is the reverse of my 1st in about every way. Many guys never meet a really great woman but I've been fortunate enough to have married 2 of them.

Agreed! I've been blessed with two as well, Chuck.

I was 32 when my first wife died.
I remarried a couple of years later and moved our family from northwest Indiana (a likely cancer cluster--all of wife's friends died too) and on to Alaska.
The rest is history.
I completely ran out of chits to give when my first wife was dying and my in-laws somehow blamed me for her cancer. When I suggested hospice at the end of her long battle they hated me! It was sad and ugly, I was the only sane one standing, but my heart was broken.

I vowed to leave with the kids and never return and did exactly that.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I talked with a friend of mine who is an auctioneer and he and his wife are realtors. He said he had a man who's wife died when he was 59 then he retired at 66. When he retired he filled one medium UHaul with some things and put that in storage. He then went to my buddy and had him auction off the contents of his house and his wood shop, sell his house, then he just walked away. He just signed some papers, like automotive power of attorney for two cars, and walked away. He told my buddy to "get what it's worth".

Turned out to be worth almost 1/2 a million all told. Nice house fully paid for on 10 acres.

You figure you buy and build a place like that because you figure on staying there the rest of your life. Probably when the wife dies the plans change. Then you don't want to mess with crap, you just want free of it, so you toss the keys to someone like my buddy and just walk away. Like liquidating an estate while you're still alive. Perfectly logical.

If my wife dies I might do just that. Get my guns and reloading stuff, my fishing stuff and a few clothes, then just walk away.

I’m confused what you mean “walked away?”.
As in gave it all to your friend?

Walked away from that life and all its material attachments. I figure he probably has family somewhere, or is from somewhere else, and maybe he's going "Home". That's what my parents always called going to Grundy Va. "Going home".

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by joken2

And sometimes people can feel like they've become slaves to their possessions...

Some folks are averse to house cleaning.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I worked with a guy back in the early 90s who came home early one night and walked in on his wife in bed with his best friend. Said his first instincts werent good ones, but he turned around and walked out of the house and left her everything, house, cars, etc.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by slumlord
Become a Motaur and set yourself free to the open road.

One does not simply "become" a Motaur!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Sometimes at different points in your life, you just run out of schidts to give...

Agree totally.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As you get older it becomes harder to walk away because you are tethered to your doctors. At 74 I am stuck with 5 doctors, most of which I see twice a year.

Your assets don't own you if they are paid for & have someone else to maintain them.

In my mid 40's we were able to pay off our house and only bought things we could pay cash for.

Last edited by gahuntertom; 10/19/19.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
god bless him. it would suck to lose your mate at that point in life. god forbid if something like that happened to me, i'd do something similiar.

of course i'd blow it all on hookers and blow in miami and be dead in 6 months, but i think my wife would understand.

My diploma is a DD214
I
IDK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I would get a nice truck bed camper for my F250. I have a 5th wheel thats to big to go where i would want to go to getaway.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by jdm953
If you are going to start the next chapter of your life you must relieve yourself of the past.You can not go forward clinging to what used to be.

I just put this on the fridge,very thought prevoking. Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gahuntertom
As you get older it becomes harder to walk away because you are tethered to your doctors. At 74 I am stuck with 5 doctors, most of which I see twice a year.

Your assets don't own you if they are paid for & have someone else to maintain them.

In my mid 40's we were able to pay off our house and only bought things we could pay cash for.

Ain't that the truth? Having had a liver transplant, I see my docs AT LEAST once a quarter, have to work to have insurance to support my $20,000/yr pill habbit, and have to have all those meds delivered to a real address.

I sure see the value of getting the crap out of you life, though. It's amazing how much junk we have and clothes we don't even wear.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jericho
I worked with a guy back in the early 90s who came home early one night and walked in on his wife in bed with his best friend. Said his first instincts werent good ones, but he turned around and walked out of the house and left her everything, house, cars, etc.

Walk them both out the front door at gun point in their birthday suits and then lock the door. Or just shoot the "rapist" who had your wife obviously pinned to the sheets.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

Walk them both out the front door at gun point in their birthday suits and then lock the door. Or just shoot the "rapist" who had your wife obviously pinned to the sheets.

I think the old story goes: shoot her as she will just cheat again. That "advice" can be very tempting.

Or, have your secretary take a letter and send copies to the wife and lawyer. Then ask the secretary out for dinner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't decide if that would be a terrible moment or the happiest moment of my life.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer

I think the old story goes: shoot her as she will just cheat again. That "advice" can be very tempting.

Or, have your secretary take a letter and send copies to the wife and lawyer. Then ask the secretary out for dinner.

Only of her name is Maria.

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Swedish death cleaning. Check it out.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.