Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
?? People got here prior to the Siberians coming to Alaska? Who? First I have heard of this. Have any cites to sources? This is interesting, would like to read more about it.

Across Atlantic Ice by Dennis Stanford makes the best case I know of for the origin of the Clovis people. Virtually all of the Clovis dating around Clovis excavations supports an east to west migration and the earliest sites predate what is thought to be the period where the ice corridor that would allow migration from Asia to be possible.

People with a social/political agenda purposely conflate Stanford's case with the Clovis First doctrine and claim he is racist.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
Genetic data shows 80% of native American Indians are actually direct descendants of the Clovis.

This isn't true at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The first were the Siberians or paleo-Iindians or Clovis or whatever you want to call them. They came from Asia.

The Clovis people didn't come from Asia, nor were they the first humans in North America.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, it sure weren't Negros!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People came from Australia. Up thru South America. The small number of early American specimens discovered so far have smaller and shorter faces and longer and narrower skulls than later Native Americans, more closely resembling the modern people of Africa, Australia, and the South Pacific. "This has led to speculation that perhaps the first Americans and Native Americans came from different homelands," Chatters continues, "or migrated from Asia at different stages in their evolution."

Last edited by mtnsnake; 10/19/19.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am not the final authority on this issue. But, the facts are varied. Just pulled from my bookshelf the book "Lost World, Rewriting Prehistory -How New Science is Tracing America's Ice Age Mariners by Tom Koppel. A lot of evidence demonstrated the travel down the coast of Alaska, BC Canada and the PNW of America.

I always enjoyed the Solutrean idea but there is too much to show genetically the Siberian route is more prominent.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...les-in-the-americas-were-not-from-europe

https://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/16/the-solutrean-hypothesis/

https://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-evidence-supports-solutrean.html

==

No doubt we will never have a final answer here on the fire, but we can all agree it wasn't Columbus who discovered this land mass. The mere fact there were already people and cultures in North and South America when he came here is proof of that. Me, I believe the Vikings were the first to come over as the first europeans.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Siberian route is probably were most came from. But there are a few others that have been found. I am no archeologist.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
The first were the Siberians or paleo-Iindians or Clovis or whatever you want to call them. They came from Asia. They wandered in without inowing they had discovered a new continent.

There may have been other accidental landings but the first known "discovery" was the Norse, about 1000 AD. They made at least one settlement but were soon driven out. They had no lasting effect.

Columbus should get the credit for the real discovery America because his voyages had lasting effects. The "Columbian exchange" not only led to European settlement but a wide interchange of natural rexources and foodstuffs not known between the continents until then. Also diseases. European diseases, previously unknown in the Americas, wiped out almost all the Indians before the Americas were settled.

There is some solid evidence that the Europeans got syphilis from the Indians, not the other way around as most think. This is an excerpt from an article in ARCHAEOLOGY.COM

Identification of syphilis on an Old World skeleton predating Columbus would be strong evidence that the disease either originated in the Old World or occurred in both hemispheres. ... Syphilis, it seems, developed in the New World from yaws, perhaps 1,600 years ago, and was waiting for Columbus and his crew.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sierraHunter
I always enjoyed the Solutrean idea but there is too much to show genetically the Siberian route is more prominent.

Where do the genetic data to baseline Clovis people come from? There isn't any that I know of, and all that is being done is compare haplogroups of current populations and use that to guess at where Clovis came from. I think the tool evidence is much more diagnostic. Your second link says this about the DNA evidence:

In my opinion, the DNA evidence alone is enough to conclude that some people from the old world came to the Americas, and a Solutrean crossing fits the genetic data the best.

Maybe you didn't read it?

Your other 2 links conflate, purposely I think, "Clovis First" and "Solutrean". They are not the same thing. Across Atlantic Ice includes an entire chapter acknowledging that nothing in their research shows that Clovis were the first here and some sites in the process of being analyzed when the book was written were showing human activity in pre-Clovis layers. The conflation is being done for political purposes, so that the argument that white men in America owe the people we call "natives" something because they were here first.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd like to see some bona fides from the know it alls. smile

Sam......

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Where do the genetic data to baseline Clovis people come from? There isn't any that I know of, and all that is being done is compare haplogroups of current populations and use that to guess at where Clovis came from. I think the tool evidence is much more diagnostic. Your second link says this about the DNA evidence:

In my opinion, the DNA evidence alone is enough to conclude that some people from the old world came to the Americas, and a Solutrean crossing fits the genetic data the best.

Maybe you didn't read it?

Your other 2 links conflate, purposely I think, "Clovis First" and "Solutrean". They are not the same thing. Across Atlantic Ice includes an entire chapter acknowledging that nothing in their research shows that Clovis were the first here and some sites in the process of being analyzed when the book was written were showing human activity in pre-Clovis layers. The conflation is being done for political purposes, so that the argument that white men in America owe the people we call "natives" something because they were here first.

I did read them. This shows genetics possibly, along with the chart maps, of both an eastern and western influx into the America's. The only studies I have found linking the Clovis style of arrowhead link to the West coast influx. My point was not to say nothing came from the east, but I don't think it is the Clovis line of peoples. I do not dismiss the fact that these two influxes into the America's could each be unique. I just don't agree that it must be the eastern, or Solutrean, side that settled first.

As to genetic proof - all we have to work with is working backwards from current traits and haplogroups. If there was another unique group that was the genetic line for the original Clovis then we would have more data for the story. As a person trained in science with advanced degrees in human biology I have seen too much evidence to trust carbon dating to be the factual truth. It is merely one of the most used techniques at this time. Some believe migration into Asia before into Europe. Either way migration occurred in both directions and could just as easily have occurred into the America's both directions. The trail of evidence cited in the book I have documents travel down the coast and not in a frozen overland bridge into the western areas of this continent.

As to who came first. I suspect we may come to find it was neither of these migrations. Just to add more to ponder on: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...have-been-neanderthals-130000-years-ago/

and

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ay-have-lived-on-earths-highest-plateau/

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only studies I have found linking the Clovis style of arrowhead link to the West coast influx.

Then you couldn't have read ad understood anything recent, or even the material cited in your second link. It directly points to, and includes a photo from, a presentation showing a Clovis diagnostic biface point found in Virginia that was produced from flint that came from France.

I just don't agree that it must be the eastern, or Solutrean, side that settled first.

Luckily the Solutrean hypothesis does not make claims as do who settled first nor does its validity depend on Clovis doing that.

As a person trained in science with advanced degrees in human biology I have seen too much evidence to trust carbon dating to be the factual truth

That is OK, the opinions of people with advanced degrees more relevant to this than yours have been shown to be wrong when new evidence came forward. Also, as I am sure someone with your training is aware, other dating methods than carbon were used on many of the recent excavations. Do you dispute the accuracy of them all or just carbon?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Stickfight
The only studies I have found linking the Clovis style of arrowhead link to the West coast influx.

Then you couldn't have read ad understood anything recent, or even the material cited in your second link. It directly points to, and includes a photo from, a presentation showing a Clovis diagnostic biface point found in Virginia that was produced from flint that came from France.

I just don't agree that it must be the eastern, or Solutrean, side that settled first.

Luckily the Solutrean hypothesis does not make claims as do who settled first nor does its validity depend on Clovis doing that.

As a person trained in science with advanced degrees in human biology I have seen too much evidence to trust carbon dating to be the factual truth

That is OK, the opinions of people with advanced degrees more relevant to this than yours have been shown to be wrong when new evidence came forward. Also, as I am sure someone with your training is aware, other dating methods than carbon were used on many of the recent excavations. Do you dispute the accuracy of them all or just carbon?

==

I don't dispute any of this. My first post said I didn't have all the answers. I would expect the clovis point may be found in many places in the future. There is a period of thousands of years with a moving population throughout all of this land mass. My comment as to carbon was to simply imply that any of these could be in error as to dating with that system. I personally don't care where the earlier people came from; east or west. But I do agree there are indications from both directions.

I have no problems with newer research. I do find much of what is called "research" today is cherry picked to fit preconceived hypothesis. Unfortunately for all of us the era of research merely showing the data found is; in this day and age; getting mixed with the idea it has to fit into some other model. It is just as likely that the first humanoids were neither of these migrations but only the future of discovering newer artifacts is going to answer that.

As a final comment - as the hunting public seems to be the cause of extinctions then we probably can just assume someone had to have been here. This due to the fact that over the past 20,000 years a lot of species have disappeared and people just had to be the cause of that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 66 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,529
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.