-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed them in light rain, and on days when it's raining on and off I have seen bucks pop out just after the rain stops. Have been able to put the sneak on feeding deer as well, as the light rain muffled everything. Never killed one in pouring rain though.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
deer don't care if its raining. they live in that 24x7. i always figured it was good hunting because it kept the scent from wafting as much. i don't think i've shot any bucks in the rain but i know i've shot does. i remember one when i was hunting in a freaking downpour. we must have gotten an inch an hour for hours. i was completely soaked, miserable as hell but i had hiked waaaay up on a mountain top to a great spot so i was sticking it out. the only bummer was i was hunting with my really nice rem 600 350 mag and it was getting soaked but it was what i brought. after hours and hours, a herd of does came down and i dropped a big one. then i had to take off my coat and gut and drag this thing waaaay back down the mountain. so by the time i got it to the truck i was head to toe, inside to out soaked. all i needed was a bar of soap. but that was in my younger, hungrier days. these days i think i'd spend a day like that in camp, sitting by the fire drinking coffee and eating fatty foods while watching it rain.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
After reading all of these great replies, from AK to LA, I won't pass up a chance to hunt in the rain just because it's raining. smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Don't let a bit rain ruin a good hunt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bottom line put on your Rivers West good boots and go kill something

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Used to have to hunt when I could get off, rain or shine. Now I can be a bit pickier. Still, I think hunting in a steady drizzle or even light rain is very effective. Rain and wind together are the pits.

Don't have "rain gear" per se, but I do have a couple of waterproof coats that keep me dry and warm. Wool is good too in light rain. The problem I've had is that pants that aren't waterproof channel water down my legs into my waterproof boots (no, I don't tuck them in).

When stand hunting, aloft or on the ground, one of the tree umbrellas is great to have if there's no wind. Even a pretty hard rain can be bearable with one of those.

Agreed, I have the ameristep version. That, and a five panel turkey blind make a nice, fairly weather tight quick blind, that weighs very little, and give good visibility with a tree at your back and a low Turkey seat. Blends in well, but very portable.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed some of my best bucks in a soaking rain. They are always out there.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Were they up and moving without being jumped? Feeding or looking for does, Bh?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Light rain has been good hunting for me. Heavy rain blows.

Washes away your corn ??

😂😄

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Were they up and moving without being jumped? Feeding or looking for does, Bh?
Sometimes yes, up and moving. Back in 1994 opening day was damn near hurricane conditions here. Driving rain and gusting winds of probably 30-40 mph. Trees swaying, branches falling. I was a bit late getting out that morning {almost didn't go because of the storm} but as it turned out didn't have to endure the weather for long. Killed a big 8 point as soon as I got to my stand. In fact, I never even climbed up. Was getting my pullup rope out and fixing to tie to my rifle when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and here he comes. His rack looks nice hanging here in the living room.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We did not bow hunt last night because of the rain and I went to watch a couple of out fields. Twenty minutes before dark a 150 class buck came out and started feeding by a bunch of does. He was right where I had taken a muzzleloader buck a few years earlier. I should of been in the popup in that spot.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve killed a few in the rain, bow hunted a lot in the rain.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The deer are out there. Hunt the thick stuff.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They aren't whitetails, but I've shot a number of fallow and a sambar in the rain. In fact rainy weather - especially if it is just drizzle - is about my favourite for getting a deer. As others have mentioned, it damps down scent and noise, and it isn't as if the deer can go down a burrow to be out of the weather. The only thing I'd add is that if it is raining I don't want a scope - it is one of the reasons I like scopes in hand-detachable mounts. The weather's probably going to mean I'm bouncing deer in close anyway, and I don't want to miss the chance due to too much rain or fog on a scope's lenses.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The only negative of hunting in the rain is blood trails on marginal hits get diminished or disappear if it is too heavy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have not had much luck hunting in steady rain, but then I don't often hunt in steady rain. smile

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We have a few blinds that let us sit out of the elements. It is, therefore, no big deal for us.

What I can tell you is that our deer generally don't like heavy rain, sleet, or graupel. However, you will frequently find them out before, and especially after one of those events.

If we see a 3 day rain coming, we'll frequent pack up and go back to town until we can see it clearing. Once the rain goes and the temperatures start to drop, the deer will come out and feed. That is one of the best times to be out.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It's probably raining 50% of the days I hunt. If the wind isn't howling I really haven't noticed a difference in how much deer move in rain vs no rain...if it's blowing hard they seem to bed. I love to still hunt in the rain and have been very fortunate to kill some nice bucks while doing it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've killed a schit load of deer in the rain. I don't think it affects them that much, they still have to eat. I think the only time it affects them is if it's a driving torrential downpour with 30 mph winds. I'm not a fan of it though, because you can't hear anything and you can't rely on a blood trail if need be. Better make a good shot. Like others have said, if you can be out there when a cold front moves through and it stops, the ones that were hunkered down get up and move.

I've learned to beat the rain with a good rain suit, a tree stand umbrella, good boots, and gloves with Gortex. The tree stand umbrella is worth it's weight in gold. I've got 3 of them. About 20 years ago for Christmas, my daughter who was about 10 at the time, gave me one as a gift. To show my gratitude to a little kid, I told her how great that was and how much I loved it. However, in my mind, I was thinking that this was another useless hunting gadget that I probably would never use. I put the thing down in the basement with the rest of my hunting stuff. Because of my stupidity, I never took it out of the box for several years. Then came an opening day and it was going to pour down rain all day. I thought about that umbrella and dug it out of hiding and used it. It's probably one of the best hunting gadgets anyone has ever come up with. I highly recommend them. If it's windy, they don't work so well. I've tried them in the snow, but snow never falls straight down, and it makes noise when it hits the nylon.

I've got the Porta-Roofs, but it looks like they are out of stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Instant-Roof-Treestand-Umbrella/dp/B06X6JGLT1

Here's another one from Big Game Treestands. Looks about the same.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Game-Treestands-Pop-Up-Umbrella/1619030.uts?slotId=0

Last edited by StoneCutter; 10/21/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Stonecutter, I have carried similar umbrellas for years too. The only issue I have with mine is when the cover is stretched taught the great big rain drops will sound off like a bass drum when they hit.
Fortunately the ones I have can still be used in a more relaxed position that eliminates the issue.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.